PDA

View Full Version : Your Signature Dish

Oggyflute
10-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Quite often when we get invited anywhere, I get asked to cook a dish, as most people do. More often that not it is invariably the same one. When talking about this at the last party we were at, I was quickly informed that the dish I bought along is regarded as my signature dish.
I was wondering who else has a signature dish and if you can post the recipie. I'm always after good ideas. :D
Here's mine;

HOT BREAD DIP
(Created by Trev)

INGREDIENTS:
1 pack of 250gm cream cheese
2 cups of sour cream
2 cups of grated tasty cheese
½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
400 grams of diced bacon
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
3 teaspoons (approx) of fresh chopped chives
1 round cob loaf

METHOD:
Cook bacon & set aside. Dice onion & cook through till it changes colour, then set aside. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, cheese, bacon, & onion. Mix well in mixing bowl. Crush garlic and add with chopped chives. Cut top of cob loaf, (one thick slice). Scoop out bread leaving shell. Tear bread into bite size portions and set aside. Fill loaf with dip mixture and cover with the cut slice of bread. Wrap in foil and cook in oven at 180 degrees C for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and remove foil. Take of lid and tear lid into pieces. Return to oven with bread pieces on a tray to crisp up for a further 10 minutes. Ovens vary so ensure the mixture is cooked through.
Serve immediately and enjoy. (more bread may be needed to crisp, in which case I recommend 4 long rolls torn into bite size pieces)

Somes pics I took for a recipie site. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/oggyflute/100_4274_0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/oggyflute/100_4276_0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/oggyflute/100_4277_0001.jpg

I also made some sate beef kebabs. No secret here, just put on what you like, and marinate for a few hours. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/oggyflute/100_4278_0001.jpg

lbaker
10-14-2005, 07:13 AM
HI TREV! Good to hear from you. I guess my signature dish would be Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes. I'll come back with the recipe a bit later, just checking in at work and need to actually DO SOME :rolleyes: By grated "tasty" cheese do you mean some sort of combo of cheeses or is that supposed to mean a particular type? Oh, another thing I'm asked for is a simple leg of lamb but wrapped in foil and cooked over the fire outside. Not much of recipe for that really, just some garlic, a few herbs and white pepper rub basically. But you know that ;) Bring some of that Hot Bread Dip over to Thursdays sometime :)

Cookiebaker
10-14-2005, 08:13 AM
That Hot Bread Dip looks YUMMY! I'm printing the recipe right now -- Thanks for sharing! :)

Oh and my signature dish would probably be Cookie Apple Crisp. I'm with Laurie

I'll come back with the recipe a bit later, just checking in at work and need to actually DO SOME

Great Thread!

finn's mom
10-14-2005, 08:16 AM
My mom and I made this chicken and cheese macaroni dish, that was to die for. It's been awhile, though, I'll see if I can find the recipe. For Thanksgiving, I always get asked for my peachy sweet potatoes, I'll try to find that recipe, too, it's yummy! :)

BitsyNaceyDog
10-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Every year for thanksgiving my mom asks me to make deviled eggs. Every Christmas I'm asked by Justin's family to make "white trash" which is basically a white chocolate chex mix. I don't even like it but every year I have to make it every year for them. :) I make a big batch and his family (parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins) devour it.

PJ's Mom
10-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Every Christmas I'm asked by Justin's family to make "white trash" which is basically a white chocolate chex mix.

I love white trash! I eat tons of it every holiday season. ;)

finn's mom
10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Oh, I always get asked to bake pies...the ones I've done have been apple, blackberry, pecan, custard, pumpkin...I think that's it so far. :) But, always a pie! And, there's this summer dish that I would always take to picnics, and, I never had any left to bring home. First you take pound cake slices and put them on the bottom and sides of the dish, then pour banana or vanilla pudding - with strawberries and bananas mixed in - into the dish. Then top it with decorative (but of course still edible!) slices of strawberries and bananas. If you use a clear dish, it looks really pretty, because you can see the slices of pound cake all around...the dish has to be tall enough for the pound cake slices, though. It's so yummy!!!

beeniesmom
10-14-2005, 08:59 AM
My signature dish has to be "pasta al forno" which is baked pasta.
Usually I use penne or rigatoni, both have ridges and hold up better, a very good homade ragu, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses.
:)

Oggyflute
10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
HI TREV! Good to hear from you. I guess my signature dish would be Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes. I'll come back with the recipe a bit later, just checking in at work and need to actually DO SOME :rolleyes: By grated "tasty" cheese do you mean some sort of combo of cheeses or is that supposed to mean a particular type? Oh, another thing I'm asked for is a simple leg of lamb but wrapped in foil and cooked over the fire outside. Not much of recipe for that really, just some garlic, a few herbs and white pepper rub basically. But you know that ;) Bring some of that Hot Bread Dip over to Thursdays sometime :)

Laurie tasty cheese is basically cheddar. Though I always say the better the cheese, the better the dish. :)
And please post the Chesapeke Bay Crab Cake recipie. (I'm drooling thinking of it :p )
Everyones dishes sound so good, but Ill need some recipies, if I'm going to have a lash at making them. :D

Lobodeb
10-14-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't know if I have one special dish, but usually for every birthday party, I'm asked to bring the cake. Dirt Cake, Better Than Sex Cake and Pastel de Tres Leches (3 milk cake) tend to be my most requested. I'm the baker of the family and everyone knows it. :o

lv4dogs
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I too need to get the recipe from home, be back with it next week. It's a crab dip. Beau Monday (a cold bread dip) is another dish I am often asked to make. lol

sirrahbed
10-14-2005, 10:57 AM
The one dish I am sometimes asked to bring is my lasagna. It really is GOOD and easy too. I call it my "Don't Bother to Cook the Noodles Lasagna" ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-14-2005, 02:08 PM
When Warren's Granny died, one of her dying wishes was that I have all her recipe books, as I am the only one in the family who enjoys cooking. Every Christmas I make Granny's Christmas cake, both as a remembrance to her (she passed away on Dec 26 1999) and also because it's so much better than any store-bought cake, although it is hard work!!

Killearn Kitties
10-14-2005, 02:58 PM
So what's the recipe, Julie? How does it differ from any other Christmas cake????? :D

carole
10-14-2005, 03:02 PM
I tend to always make a dessert, I am hoping to make this delicious chocolate Malteser cheesecake, thats if I can lay my hands on the recipe, I have had it stored in my messy cupboard for ages with intention of making it, one of these days.

Lobodeb
10-14-2005, 03:10 PM
When Warren's Granny died, one of her dying wishes was that I have all her recipe books, as I am the only one in the family who enjoys cooking.

What a nice gesture! When my grandmother passed away, she took all of her recipes with her. :( She may not have had them written down, for all I know. She was from the school of, a pinch of this and a dash of that. :)

Oggyflute
10-15-2005, 01:32 AM
We still need some recipies. :D

Lobodeb, I just must have the recipie for your Better than sex cake. :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-15-2005, 01:54 AM
So what's the recipe, Julie? How does it differ from any other Christmas cake????? :D

I don't know that it's any different from anyone elses recipe - I guess it just tastes special because it's made with love!

(Ingredients can be doubled for a larger cake)

3 Cups Flour
1/2 pound butter
1 1/2 cups Yellow Sugar
6 Eggs
1 1/2 cups Raisins
1 1/2 cups Currents
1 1/2 cups Sultanas
2 Teaspoons Mixed Spice
250 ML Brandy
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Bicarb
1 Teaspoon Pure Glycerine
2 oz Almonds
1/4 pound Glace Cherries, halved
1 dessert spoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons treacle

METHOD
Clean fruit, soak in Brandy (Soak for 48 hours - top up as Brandy is absorbed)
Cream Butter & Sugar
add eggs one at a time & beat well
add fruit and lastly add all dry ingredients and mix well

Bake for 3 hours at 300 F

(This can then cooled and decorated with Marzipan and Plastic Icing)

Most of my family are nor fond of marzipan, so I usually cut the cake into "blocks" and give each branch of the family one for christmas lunch - we have ours with brandy-custard and lightly whipped cream.

One other thing - if you double the ingredients and make the large cake, buy a large plastic washing-up bowl to mix it in - I have yet to find a mixing bowl large enough!

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Trev - try this - it is the BEST sandwich filling on earth!

Jalepeno Chicken Spread:

The "ratio" of ingredients is as follows:

For each chicken breast add:
1/2 onion
1 Jalepeno
1/3 Green Pepper.

Chop cooked chicken breasts in Braun Multi-mix or food processor - remove.
Chop Jalepenos, onions and green peppers. (Add Green peppers last so they dont form a puree)

Add this mixture to the Chicken.

Season to taste. Stir in mayonaise until a "spread" is formed.

Keeps well in the fridge for a few days - great on toast, sandwiches or rolls.

Oggyflute
10-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Trev - try this - it is the BEST sandwich filling on earth!

Jalepeno Chicken Spread:

The "ratio" of ingredients is as follows:

For each chicken breast add:
1/2 onion
1 Jalepeno
1/3 Green Pepper.

Chop cooked chicken breasts in Braun Multi-mix or food processor - remove.
Chop Jalepenos, onions and green peppers. (Add Green peppers last so they dont form a puree)

Add this mixture to the Chicken.

Season to taste. Stir in mayonaise until a "spread" is formed.

Keeps well in the fridge for a few days - great on toast, sandwiches or rolls.

Thanks Julie, :) I can see me putting that on a slice of toast with melted grated cheese and fresh cracked peppercorns. :)
You must have some great recipies from Warrens Gran. Alas my family were no great performers in the kitchen, so no old seceret recipies I'm afraid.

jackie
10-15-2005, 05:34 AM
When Warren's Granny died, one of her dying wishes was that I have all her recipe books, as I am the only one in the family who enjoys cooking. Every Christmas I make Granny's Christmas cake, both as a remembrance to her (she passed away on Dec 26 1999) and also because it's so much better than any store-bought cake, although it is hard work!!

That is so sweet!

My fav dish is lasagna. I don't have an exact recipe, and it changes depending what vegetables I have on hand, but here is the basic.

For the sauce... Saute one onion, add finely chopped green or red peppers, sliced mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, and zuchinni (mix and match depending what you like).

Season with oregano, salt/pepper, laurel leave, whatever I have in the spice rack basically!. I use a product called "VEGETA", its from Yugoslavia, but you can buy it in any Arab/Persian specialty store, its like OXO cubes, but a million times better, so tasty, I use it instead of salt in everything!

Add tomato sauce/ paste. I am sure you can add a jar of premade sauce, but I can never find a good one, so I just use plain old tomato sauce. Add a cup or so of red wine, then add the chicken meat last. If I have enough time I cook if for a couple of hours, the longer you leave it, the better the taste. When you take it off the heat add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic.

While thats cooking, I mix some chopped spinach (frozen is fine), 2 cups or so of ricotta cheese (if I can't find ricotta, I use feta, just add less salt to the tomato sauce), one egg and mix that up.

Then layer the meat sauce and cheese in a pan, I love no cook lasagna pasta, straight from th box to the pan, no need to precook. And top with grated mozzarella.

Cover with tin foil, but make sure the foil doesn't touch the cheese. :o And bake covered for about 45 minutes, Uncovered for another 10 to brown the top. Set to cool for 10 minutes then enjoy!

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-15-2005, 06:35 AM
That must be my homemade applecake, made from scratch :p :p

Debbie, you make perfect lasagna? Oh my, that is sooooo yummie!!! :p

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-15-2005, 07:29 AM
That must be my homemade applecake, made from scratch :p :p

Can we have the recipe please Lut???? ;)

Lobodeb
10-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Lobodeb, I just must have the recipie for your Better than sex cake. :D

Sure!!!! :D :D :D

It's pretty easy, actually.

1 package yellow cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple w/ juice
3 bananas, sliced
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla (or banana) pudding mix
1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped cream topping, thawed
16 ounces chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
1/2 cup white sugar

1. Just bake a yellow cake mix in a 13 x 9" pan according to the package directions.

2. Combine the crusted pineapple (undrained) with the white sugar and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Set aside to cool.

3. Mix instant vanilla pudding according to package directions.

4. Once cake is cool, spread the cooled pineapple mixture over the top followed by the vanilla pudding, sliced bananas and whipped topping. Sprinkle the flaked coconut and chopped nuts over the top of the cake. Let cake chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

Let me know how you like it!

sirrahbed
10-15-2005, 11:59 AM
I am no cook in the same sense as Trevor because I always go for simple :) When I make this lasagna - I am often asked for the recipe. I always submit it to those ring-bound fundraiser cookbooks for churches and organizations, too. I made the recipe up after using "no bake" noodles in Germany. They make them here to, but I just buy the regular lasagna noodles - whatever is on sale. I use venison but of course, beef, turkey, etc are fine too. Hope you try it because it is SOOO easy and YUMMY!

No Need to Cook the Noodles Lasagna

1 lb ground venison
1 onion, chopped
1 jar of spaghetti sauce, we like the Ragu Chunky
1/2 jar water
medium size carton of cottage cheese
2 eggs
big handful parsley
1 tsp (or more) garlic powder
1/2 c. grated parmesan
3 c. shredded mozzarella
9 lasagna noodles (right from package)

Brown the meat and onion. add jar od sauce and the water to rinse jar. The extra water will be absorbed by the pasta. In other bowl - mix cottage cheese, eggs, parsley, garlic and parmesan. In 9 x 13 baking dish, begin layers: first a ladle of sauce, then three noodles, half the cottage cheese mixture, more sauce, three noodles, other half of cottage cheese mixture, one cup mozzarella, ladle of sauce, three more noodles, the rest of the sauce and then two cups mozzarella. Make sure all the edges of noodles are covered with sauce and cheese. The dish will be very full. Cover with foil (poof up in center so as not to stick to cheese) and seal at edges.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. Uncover, turn heat down to 325 degrees and bale another 15 minutes. Check to see when it is bubbly but not too brown. Remove dish and allow to rest for 15 minutes for easiest cutting and nice square servings.

You will never cook those noodles again :D

NoahsMommy
10-15-2005, 01:24 PM
FUN thread!!! Great recipes! I can't wait to get cooking!! :)

I'm always asked to bring my grandma's stuffed mushrooms. They are to die for...yum!! :) I'll post the recipe here soon.

I have a version of "Better Than Sex Cake" too:

1 pkg Devil's food cake mix
7 Skor or Heath bars
1 jar caramel ice cream topping
1 container Cool Whip

*best if you use a rectangle cake pan*

Mix cake mix according to package directions, adding 5 chopped Skor/Heath bars to batter. Cook according to directions.

AS SOON as cake is taken from the oven, poke holes in cake and pour entire contents of caramel sauce onto cake. Let absorb and cool completely.

When ready to serve, put contents of Cool Whip on cake and spread evenly. Top with remaining 2 chopped Skor/Heath bars.

Enjoy!! Its gooey, sweet and lovely...the Cool Whip is better than frosting because it isn't as sweet.

:)

cyber-sibes
10-15-2005, 02:48 PM
This is a delicious thread - HaHaHa!
I love to cook too. i am known for my chili - even won the local chili-cook-off a couple years ago, came in 2nd twice before that. I claimed my mom's recipe box when she passed away, she was quite the pastry lady, so even thought they don't come out quite like hers, I can make alot of the things she did.
My sons thinks my chicken catchitori (sp?) is the best! I remember my mom & dad cooking huge pots of the stuff for Sunday dinners - it smells soooo good! Do you want a recipe for chicken catchitori?

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Can we have the recipe please Lut???? ;)

Sure! It is in metric. If you want me to converse it, just ask :)

200g flour
150g sugar
3 eggs
150g margerine
sour apples
1 teaspoon baking powder

Stirr margerine untill creamy
Mix sugar, margarine and egg-yolks.
Add flour and baking powder
Beat up the egg-whites and add to the mixture
Peal apples. Cut into very small pieces
Put half of the mixture into cake-dish; cover it with the apple; cover with rest of mixture

Bake in 160°c oven during 1 hour

sorry for the weird English, I translated it without dictionary...

Oggyflute
10-19-2005, 05:30 AM
Sure!!!! :D :D :D

It's pretty easy, actually.

1 package yellow cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple w/ juice
3 bananas, sliced
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla (or banana) pudding mix
1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped cream topping, thawed
16 ounces chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
1/2 cup white sugar

1. Just bake a yellow cake mix in a 13 x 9" pan according to the package directions.

2. Combine the crusted pineapple (undrained) with the white sugar and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Set aside to cool.

3. Mix instant vanilla pudding according to package directions.

4. Once cake is cool, spread the cooled pineapple mixture over the top followed by the vanilla pudding, sliced bananas and whipped topping. Sprinkle the flaked coconut and chopped nuts over the top of the cake. Let cake chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

Let me know how you like it!

I am really going to try this. :D My sister & her husband will be over in a few weeks for dinner, so it will be a perfect time. :)
CS your chicken recipie would be great, and am most interested in your chili dish. I love cooking with chili. I generally use thai chili's, as I like the heat and the taste. :)
Thanks for the recipies everyone, more recipies would be welcome. :)

lv4dogs
10-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Do you want a recipe for chicken catchitori?

I'd love to have the recipe! I have to remember to bring in my recipe. lol

Lobodeb
10-19-2005, 09:16 AM
I am really going to try this. :D My sister & her husband will be over in a few weeks for dinner, so it will be a perfect time. :)

Let me know how it turns out and how your guests like it. I love watching peoples' reactions. :o

cyber-sibes
10-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I'll send the chili recipie as soon as I get time - I think I'll make some chili first, though, and measure things so I actually have a recipe! LOL!
Here's the chicken catchitori:
Two fryer chickens, cut up
(I like to use de-boned breasts, each cut in half, or use boneless chicken strips.)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt & 1/2 tsp pepper
1 green pepper diced
1 med-lg. onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 can stewed or plain tomatos
sliced mushrooms (about 4 oz.)
if desired, 1/2 cup cooking sherry or white wine (or just add a little water)
Combine flour, salt, pepper in bag, coat chicken. heat oil, brown well. Add garlic, onion, gr. pepper and cook till veggies are soft, add back chicken, add tomatos, oregano, mushrooms & wine. Simmer for 30 - 45 minutes.
Near the end of cooking, I sometimes make a roux with a little flour and broth and add to thicken slightly.
Tip - the longer you cook it, the better it gets. This is one of those recipies that tastes great the next day, too.

Make a big bowl of mashed potatoes to serve it with - delicious!

lv4dogs
10-19-2005, 03:05 PM
That chicken catchitori sounds delicious. Maybe I'll make that this weekend! (if I can find people to share it with, or maybe cut it in half).

Killearn Kitties
10-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Great apple cake recipe, Lut! We are enjoying it at work today. :)

Those Chesapeake Bay crabs are being awfully elusive though!

Killearn Kitties
10-20-2005, 08:22 AM
This is a dish I am sometimes asked for, good for a buffet table and a great way of using up leftover turkey.

Celebration Turkey Mayonnaise

1 small onion, chopped
Half a clove garlic
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 level teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons apricot jam
¼ - ½ pint good mayonnaise
¾ - 1lb cooked chopped turkey
8oz green and black grapes, halved and stoned
1 ½ oz browned, flaked almonds

Put the onion and garlic in a blender and switch on for a minute.

Put the tomato puree, curry powder, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and apricot jam in a small saucepan and bring to the boil slowly, stirring all the time. Add to the blender, switch on and reduce to a puree. Blend with the mayonnaise in a bowl and stir in the turkey. Chill overnight in the refrigerator.

Toss the grapes in the remaining lemon juice and stir into the turkey mayonnaise, taste and check seasoning.

Pile into a serving dish and sprinkle with browned, flaked almonds and a sprig of parsley.

Killearn Kitties
10-20-2005, 08:53 AM
This recipe makes a fantastic dessert to take to a party. It fills two flan dishes around 8-9 inches in diameter.

Lemon Fudge Tart

Icing sugar
6oz plain flour
9½ oz butter
Grated rind and juice of 5 lemons
10 eggs
10oz caster sugar

Blend flour, 1 tablespoon icing sugar and 3 ½ oz butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Divide between two flan dishes and press into the base using your fingertips.

Bake at 170C (350F) gas no 3 for 35-40 minutes or until golden.

Melt remaining butter. Place in a food processor with the grated rind and juice of the lemons (about 7 fl oz), the eggs and caster sugar. Blend until smooth; poor over the warm shortbread (if it is cool, pastry crumbs will rise to the surface).

Bake at 130C (250F) mark ½ for 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours or until just set. (The slower the cooking time, the smoother the texture). Cool and refrigerate.

To serve, remove from the fridge for about an hour. Dust with icing sugar.

PJ's Mom
10-20-2005, 09:07 AM
So much for the diet. :eek:

I must bookmark this thread. :D

Oggyflute
10-21-2005, 07:28 AM
The Turkey mayonnaise looks great Karen. :) Now if only I could get Carole to eat turkey. :confused:

Killearn Kitties
10-21-2005, 07:37 AM
I usually make it with chicken. Is that acceptable to Carole? :D

Oggyflute
10-21-2005, 07:49 AM
I usually make it with chicken. Is that acceptable to Carole? :D
Most of the time not. The only exception is when I make a chicken and vegetable broth, and she's hungary enough. Guess the aroma just takes over. :D
Of course with this bird flu thing I have no hope. :rolleyes:

Killearn Kitties
10-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Perhaps Carole would like my recipe for Pesto Risotto, I don't think there has been a rice scare in a while. :D