PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please...

K9karen
10-13-2005, 11:50 PM
As most of you know, I had back surgery in June. I'm still recuperating, can't sit for long and not allowed to bend or lift. Recovery time may take a year.
Anyway, I got an email today from my ex-supervisior (we're still great friends), giving me a heads-up on a job in my field at another company. It's about 45 minutes away, which is okay. But it involves sitting for 8 hours a day at a computer, mostly on the phone with clients. And who doesn't lift and bend during the day doing anything? I scanned their website and I qualify for the job. I don't know the salary, probably a lot less than what I was making, but I'm assuming it's tons better than the money I'm making on disability. On disability. if I go back to work, I can still collect for a year. I'd hate to start a job then realize I'm still to ill and uncomfortable and have to leave. I'm also a bit nervous about snow and ice in the winter and falling.
This is the 1st job in my field that's been available in ages. I'm afraid if I get hired and have to leave, I'd never have another chance once I'm healed.
What to do??? :confused:

Karen
10-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Is there any position you can stay comfortably in for 8 hours? If it's mostly phone work, is there a ergonomic kind of chair, or even a chaise you could have in your office that would facilitate it?

Any chance of working from home as it's a lot of phone work, or would you need to be in the office always?

Cinder & Smoke
10-14-2005, 12:15 AM
I had back surgery in June. I'm still recuperating,
can't sit for long and not allowed to bend or lift.
Recovery time may take a year.

... a job in my field at another company.
... about 45 minutes away ...
Involves sitting for 8 hours a day at a computer,
mostly on the phone with clients.

I'd hate to start a job then realize I'm still to ill and uncomfortable
and have to leave.
I'm also a bit nervous about snow and ice in the winter and falling...

I'd send a resume and ask for an interview ...
And start out the interview explaining everything you've said here!

Sort of sounds like the kind of job you could do from your HOME! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif
Ask them to set you up with a puter and a phone link at the house,
allow for some "flexible hours",
and ebberbuddie should be *happie*!

EIGHT HOURS http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif at a regular desk
(not to mention adding a 2-3 hour bad weather commute)
is prolly NOT a good idea right now!!

/s/ Phred

Cataholic
10-14-2005, 08:50 AM
I would not do anything that will or could affect your disability benefits. It isn't worth it. :(

catnapper
10-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Depending on the company, I'd love to give it a try, but Karen was right.... you are eligable for a GOOD ergonomic chair. Not just one they label as ergonomic, but one that IS. Since I do this all day long for my job, here's what you'll need to ask for (then have them come to ME to buy the chair ;) )You'll need lumbar support, front knee and back tilt, adjustable arm rests. You should also have foot rests (believe me, they make a huge difference!) and a good articulating keyboard tray with mouse rest on the same mechanism.

If they don't accomodate you, then they ar not followig the rules of the ADA and can be fined. Don't feel shy about reporting them if they decline your requests! This is your long term health we're talking about, and if they wat you, the $500 they put out for the chair, keyboard, etc. is minimal for a great long-term employee.

Edwina's Secretary
10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
From an employer's perspective....

I would not tell them about your back and any accomodations you need until you have meet with them and established mutual interest. There are lots and lots of reason not to hire a candidate. (And by the way... not all companies must comply with the ADA...it depends on the number of employees they have.)

You do not want to frighten them...and bringing up your back will...consciously or unconsciously...cause concern on a number of levels (accomodations, health insurance, absenteeism...) So, if you sell them on your skills and abilities first...they will be more receptive. And you can always turn the job down!

Plus...it is good practice toward getting back into the working world!

lizbud
10-14-2005, 12:08 PM
I think if you at least apply for the job and do an interview, then you
might be better able to decide if you are really physically up to doing what's
required. You could always turn it down & give your own reasons, such as
commute time, etc. Do you think you could handle the drive time & sitting
for 8 hrs per day?

carole
10-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Well in all honesty my advice would be to NOT apply for the job, I think your health and well being is your top priority, and I think you seem the sort of person who would only like to give 100 per cent in your job, so in all honesty do you think you will beable.

You should take the time you need to heal properly and not put yourself through anything un-necessary, then you will be in tip-top condition hopefully and beable to take on any task or job you wish.

I know it can be no fun being on disability, but personally I think waiting would be a wise decision, that is just my two cents worth, but the job just sounds too much sitting for someone undergoing recovery from back surgery.

Logan
10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm torn, Karen. On one hand, I don't want you to rush into anything until you're healed completely, but the other part of me wants you out and about again because I know you miss it so much. Why don't you consult your doctor to see what he has to say? I think you're getting close to being ready, even if this isn't the right time.

Logan

jackie
10-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I had back surgery in June. I'm still recuperating, can't sit for long and not allowed to bend or lift. Recovery time may take a year.

Your health is the most important thing. I had two knee ops this summer and have been off work without any form of disability for six months now. I will not go back to work until I am at 100%, to me, its not worth it. Imagine you injure yourself further? You know your own limitations, and eight hours a day is a lot just to leap into if you are still having back problems.

carole
10-14-2005, 10:29 PM
I just wanted to add one more thing, only YOU and YOU alone know how you feel, what you are capable of and we can only offer you advice and our thoughts on the matter, but ultimately you will know what is right for you, good luck with your important decision.

K9karen
10-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks a million! I slept on it all night. I'd feel like I was misleading them if they hired me and then I mentioned my back. My old employer got me the chair. I'd need one immediately upon hiring. Plus, I still have a lot of doctor's appointments and I haven't been "released" yet. I only sit at the computer about 1-2 hours tops. Personally, I wouldn't hire me right now. It's a stessful job too. I handled that years ago, but I couldn't handle it right now. I'm not lazy and I miss working and making money and having benefits. I guess if I'm questioning it, it's not meant to be.

carole
10-15-2005, 04:02 AM
I think in your heart you will know you have made the right decision, it was not an easy choice for you to make, but i personally don't think you will regret it myself, once you are feeling more on top of things healthwise I am more than sure you will find something rewarding and fulfilling , in the meantime, take care of yourself, and put yourself first sweetie,HUGS.

NoahsMommy
10-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Karen,

I'm glad you feel better about not taking the position. You need to keep your health at 1st priority right now. If you heal correctly, you'll feel that much better in the future.

The right thing, at the right time, will come along.

((((((HUGS))))))

:) Kelly

K9karen
10-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Kelly, my inclination is to do something similar to what you do. I always wanted to go into some kind of medical field. After all I've been through (like you) I think it'd be perfect. I usually go with my first instinct. BTW..how's you job? Still love it??