PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of dog birthdays...

Goochina & Goochissimo
03-21-2002, 09:31 AM
What do you do when you adopt a shelter pet and have no idea of his birthday.

When we adopted Odie, he was 3. This was at Christmas 2000. We don't know his real birthday, we just add a year every Christmas.

Should I just make up a nice b-day? :) I'd like to celebrate with the neighborhood kids like you mentioned.

Stenograsaurus
03-21-2002, 09:54 AM
We celebrate a "gotcha" day. It's the day that I got her from the humane society. That is her new birthday and we just add a year to what we estimated her age to be.

RachelJ
03-21-2002, 12:06 PM
That's what we did with Tucker too, give him the birthday (several years prior) of the day we got him. I love the term Gotcha Day . My doggie vocabulary is expanded somewhat thanks to you all.

tatsxxx11
03-23-2002, 03:59 PM
That's what we've always done with our rescues. We add one year, every year, on the anniversary of their adoptions. That's their birthdays! Or, "Gotcha Day!":)

aly
03-24-2002, 11:23 PM
Lolly's Bday is the day I adopted her from the shelter because her paper work just said "6 years". I know its not totally accurate to the day but thats okay!

Reece's on the other hand said "1 year 1 month" so I just counted back a month from the adoption date. I know thats probably not completely accurate either, but I don't think he'll notice :D

I had to estimate Shiloh's since I found her in a parking lot. The vet said she was 6-8 months when I got her so I went with 7 months since that'd put her Bday to Valentines Day :)

Gio
03-25-2002, 06:10 AM
Of all the pets I've ever had I know the real birthday of only one of them since he was actually born in the shelter. Like the others I celebrate the day they came home as their birthday.