PDA

View Full Version : Crooked tongue?

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Crooked tongue? Crooked tongue? :confused:

Has anyone ever heard or experienced having a dog with a crooked tongue?

My husband and I have decided that Frankie has one.

When Frankie licks his lips, cheeks, he never licks on the right side.

We noticed this since his eye surgery.

We even tried putting peanut butter on his right cheek to see what he'd do...
He would just lick at the left side and lean toward the right to the point where he fell over.

It was funny at first but it's beginning to worry me.,

It's on the same side of his surgery (cherry eye).

Even when he gives you kisses, his tongue seems to either go toward the left or straight (rarely). When he yawns, it goes straight.

It's very strange.

Friday we have an appointment with the vet to get his neuter stiches out.

I think I will mention ths. Do you think it's related to the surgery?

I hope it's not related... it better not be.

I am already upset because the vets office where I go to switched doctors on me. I was told his surgeries would be performed by a vet (that I trust), instead his neuter was performed by the doctor I trust and the eye was done by another vet which I greatly dislike.

I even had a note in my file specifically stating that I wanted nothing to do with this other vet.

:confused:

finn's mom
10-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Wow, Carmen. What a mess. Sounds like you might not be able to trust any of them, especially if that note is in your file. I haven't found a vet here for Finn, yet, but, I'm looking. The only time I have had to take him anywhere was to get neutered and I could only afford the humane society's price, but, luckily, they were all super nice.

It sounds like it might be a balance thing, too...But, that is strange, I hope it's nothing but a quirk. :( Let us know what the vet tells you.

lv4dogs
10-12-2005, 12:39 PM
That is strange. Raustyk prefers to hang her tongue out of the right side of her mouth but she does sometimes hang it to the left and can use it either way.

It sounds like he's not even able to use it on the right side which would concern me. I don't know if there a nerve or something that runs from the eye to mouth but one would think so????
I'd defiently have it checked out!
And make sure to mention to them that you do not want to see that vet & you even have it in your file, maybe they can make that note bigger or something.

Good luck & keep us posted.

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks Kari and Sue for your responses.

It is very strange and unusual.

I've already wanted to "fire" my vet because of other things that happened with Beenie when she was little.

This may be the last straw.

I really hope she didn't nick a nerve while doing the eye surgery. :(

I disliked this "new" vet from the very beginning. I have given her many chances but every time she saw one of my dogs because of a problem, she'd always diagnose the problem wrong and give wrong meds.

I had to bring Frankie in 3 x for the bloody diarreah when we first got him. After the other, more experienced vet, saw him, she knew what the problem was right away and he was "fixed" in just 2 short days.

Another thing I just rememebered.... when Frankie had his breakfast this morning, his right side was drooly and had speck of food on it.... confirming what we thought about his tongue not working... :(

PJ's Mom
10-12-2005, 02:12 PM
(((hugs))) for Frankie. I hope this turns out to be nothing.

k9krazee
10-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Oh Frankie! Let us know what the vet says, that is really really weird!!

finn's mom
10-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Dang, Carmen. I would be on the prowl for a new vet, for sure. That's dangerous to have that vet prescribing the wrong medication! And, not just a little scary! :eek: I hope you can get everything sorted out and find out what's wrong with the little man. And, find a vet, too, that won't mess around like that.

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 02:28 PM
I already have a new one lined up... it's my bosses vet.
She is always raving about how good and professional he is.
The only thing is that it's not an emergency vet clinic.
The one I go to now is.
In case of an emergency... whenever/holidays/Sunday, is available... if you are a customer.

The only other vets that are emergency vets are in downtown Jacksonville... over an hour away.

lv4dogs
10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
By chance is he on any medication now?

If it is affecting his eating I'd at least call the vets sooner than Tuesday.

I wish yous the best of luck!!!

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
He is on antibiotics.
We go to the vet Friday (day after tomorrow). :confused:

Jadapit
10-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Geez Carmen, I'm sorry you are having problems with the vet and Frankie. Poor little man. I hope everything will be ok with him. Please keep us posted.

lv4dogs
10-12-2005, 02:39 PM
He is on antibiotics.
We go to the vet Friday (day after tomorrow). :confused:

Oops I don't know where I got tuesday from. Golly geesh I'm all goofed up today. lol

If you are worried about it I'd call the vet & at least explain the situation to them so they are prepared.

I don't know if antipiotics could cause that or not.

Roxyluvsme13
10-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Wow poor Frankie! I hope its nothing too serious :( Sending GOOD THOUGHTS<3

new mom to a veiled
10-12-2005, 03:43 PM
AWWWWWWW you guys have had a run of bad luck!!!! I hope it's not something serious....BIG hugs for you and Frankie.....let us know when you hear from the vet.....

Kfamr
10-12-2005, 04:01 PM
That sounds awfully weird, Carmen. :( I really hope they didn't goof something up. I was all happy thinking he was recoverying nicely. Hopefully it's not something serious. I really hope you get some answers and a vet that is more caring and professional. Please keep us updated and do know that I am here to talk. :)

CagneyDog
10-12-2005, 06:22 PM
I hope its nothing serious :(

luvofallhorses
10-12-2005, 08:25 PM
:( I really hope it's nothing. (((hugs to you and Frankie))) Please keep us updated.

PJ's Mom
10-13-2005, 09:01 AM
How's Frankie today, Carmen? :)

beeniesmom
10-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Same....
I don't care for the way his eye is looking either. It's still very pink and bleeds when I walk him. :(
Vet appointment is tomorrow at 2.30.
I'll let you know what happened.
Thanks for your concern.
I feel so bad because he's just a baby.... and already all these health problems.

finn's mom
10-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I feel so bad because he's just a baby.... and already all these health problems.

Oh, Carmen, I'm so sorry that your little one is so sick. :( Maybe he'll get it all out of the way now and be healthy the rest of his long life! I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.

CathyBogart
10-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Poor baby....I'm glad he ended up in a good home like yours though, where he can get all of his health problems fixed quickly. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery ,and that his tongur is OK...

lv4dogs
10-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Good luck at the vets today! :D Hugs to you all!

Lobodeb
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Any changes today, Carmen? I see that your appointment is today. Please let us know what the vet says.

Poor lil Frankie!