PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about therapy dogs?

Roxyluvsme13
10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, Tink has the perfect personality and disposition to be a therapy dog! Does anybody know what training or classes she would need to go through or know? She could also be a showdog, and do dog shows. She has CKC papers...So if you know anything about therapy dog training or classes, or anything about how to train Tink to be a showdog, or any classes or registration she has to go through please say so! Thanks For Any Help In Advance!

lv4dogs
10-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Thats great that you want to do therapy work with her. She is still a little young to judge her temperment just yet but you sure can help keep her like she is. Enroll her into puppy classes, and at least one basic obedience class after she graduates from puppy classes once she gets all of her vaccines of course. they fill up fast so you may want to start looking for a reputable class right now & get on their waiting list. The classes will:
A. help you bond with each other
B. teach her important manners to bettere her chances of being a therapy dog
C. Get her out & about, socialization is the key.
D. get her used to all sorts of objects, like you'd find in a hospital, hustle & bustle of people, wheelcharis & crutches, getting up on beds, sitting in peoples laps, etc... etc...

She will need to be CGC certified (canine good citizen) and some places may require more like a certified therapy title. Both will require obedience classes.

As far as showing her, well I'm not too familiar with CKC and I don't know what type of showing you are interested in so you'd have to look into what she can be shown for with that registration.
I do know you can show her at least in obedience, agility, flyball, disk dog etc.. etc... As far as comformation goes again you'd have to check with CKC. And keep in mind some shows are by organization only, for example you won't be able to show her in the AKC shows etc... etc....

Roxyluvsme13
10-12-2005, 11:55 AM
That helps! Doesnt Petsmart do puppy training classes? If so...Do you know what price range those run in?

lv4dogs
10-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Sorry, the D. was supposed to be what you should do, as you won't find a lot of those objects or similar objects at obedience classes. lol

I'm not familiar with the classes at petco or petsmart. The ones around me I'm not too find of (but I think I wouldn't be fond of other locations either). The classes are often small and in a small place (a tiny room, an isle of the store). The instructors are usually pretty young & don't have the knowledge about training that "I prefer". And the trainers are often not there for long. I'll go in on one visit see so & so as a trainer go back a month later & they no longer train there. I personally like to go to a reputable class that has been around for years and ha s a lot of great references. I've heard from a lot of people that have enrolled their dog into their classes & they were not happy.

BUT I have heard of some people that took their dogs to petco or setsmart & they liked it, their dogs did great.

I'd suggest sitting in on a class, see how you like it.
Ask for references from pervious clients.
Ask them ANY & ALL questions you feel you need to ask.

As far as price, it depends on where you go & where you are. I would say that anywhere from about $65-$125 would be average price.
I never priced their prices, but reputable classes around me all averaged in the hundred dollar range ($75-$115).

areias
10-12-2005, 04:19 PM
That's true about Petsmart/Petco...I don't really recommend taking classes there. And they're more expensive.

In my county, they offer $2 and $3 obedience classes from the animal services department. Definately look into that. Give your vet a call and see if they can recommend someone, also call boarding kennels around you and ask for recommendations. Especially look into the ones that 2 or more places have recommended.