PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Proceed . . . ??

AvaJoy
03-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Today on my lunch hour I visited a newly opened pet store (regional chain, not a national chain) that had puppies for sale in closed compartments behind plexiglass on wire flooring, with AT LEAST 2 days worth of soiled newspapers beneath the wire bottoms. The store is advertised as open, however their official grand opening will be this weekend, so they are still in preparation stages. This is no excuse for the filth in the cages . . . shelves were well stocked and there were plenty of employees milling around (in fact two asked if they could help me) who should have been attending to the welfare of these dogs . . . some had no water, one had 2 toys and another was up and alert but had not one toy to play with. I mentioned to one of the guys about this . . . could he please throw a toy in for the puppy that was without . . . he shot back that "they" are cleaning the cages and will attend to it . . . excuse me, but NO ONE was cleaning ANY cages during my 45 minute visit. :mad:

All the puppies were purebreeds (according to their individual cage signs) except one gorgeous girl who was a mix of collie, lab and cocker. I talked up one of the employees (who may have been the manager) about this dog . . . he said all the puppies are from "their breeders", and sometimes a breeder's dogs will get out, so this is the result . . . Can you imagine??:p I guess this guy took me for a pushover . . . but the real atrocity is that this mixed breed puppy had a price tag of . . . are you ready?? . . . $399.00. I can't imagine that they will sell this puppy at their absurd price, but I'll tell you this . . . if I could afford it I would take the dog just to save it from that place . . . the purebreds will get sold for that kind of money . . . several already had "SOLD" stickers on their plexiglass, and the store has only been opened for a few days.

The guy then asked if I wanted to meet the puppy, and he explained that this meant I could only hold it and not put it down, because the get-acquainted-with-our-puppies area was not partitioned off yet. I told the guy that the puppy has excrement on her ears and feet, and his reply was "lol, she just needs a bath" . . . I guess her filthy cage bottom was invisible to him!!

Before I spoke with the employee, I knelt down and was talking to the dog, and when I put my hand up to the plexiglass, she kept rubbing against it and looking up with wagging tail; she couldn't understand how come my hand was there, but she wasn't being petted . . . :( . . . it was so sad . . . :(

I just want to do SOMETHING and don't know where to begin . . . should I report the store to . . . ?? Should I picket their "Grand Opening"? They are advertising the local celebrities that will make appearances . . . should I try to contact each and ask them if they would reconsider and boycott? :confused:

I just had to share this with you . . . sorry it is so lengthy . . . any suggestions on how I could make a difference would be appreciated. How I wish it was unlawful to sell dogs in pet stores . . . there are so many in shelters waiting eagerly for a home.

Karen
03-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Talk to your local Humane Society. Talk to the media. Tell your elevted officials. Research the chain online. Call company headquarters. Try to contact the local celebrities. Go back tomorrow and take picture if consitions are just as bad. Try to remeber the name of the employee you spoke to, write it down NOW. Talk to the store manager. Find out if the chain buys from puppy mills if you can. If things haven't changed when you go back (tomorrow if you can stand it), make a real stink. Tell everyone you know - local newpaper, city hall, animal control officers, local television - be a pest. Find out how you can protest legally - we don't want you getting in trouble, we want those puppies in better conditions!

Be brave. Be loud. Be noisy! Be effective in getting change to happen! The pups cannot speak for themselves. Warn people that these dogs were in unhealthy conditions. They claim to be purebreds - ask to see the papers. Are they AKC registered? Contact the AKC and ask about the breeder.

Okay, and now that I've given you a million things to do, do keep us updated, and let us know if there is anything we can do!

LoudLou
03-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Karen

Be brave. Be loud. Be noisy! Be effective in getting change to happen!

Well said Karen! -- I agree. Be factual. Sic the local newspaper on them and the Humane Society... get pictures, you might have to lie and tell them you have to take a pix of the dog to show your Hubby or something as I am sure they won't "Willingly" let you take pix of such fiflth... But, Go GET "EM! Sometime the best PR is word-of-mouth. We are here for Moral support should ya need us.:)

Logan
03-20-2002, 10:32 PM
AMEN to all that was suggested. I think it is probably the only way. BE LOUD!!!! BE PERSISTENT!!! What a great advocate they have found in you, Avajoy!!! :)

wolflady
03-21-2002, 08:19 PM
Yes, I agree too!! It's just so sad that situations like this are allowed to happen. It's absolutely rediculous the prices that petstores put on their puppies...purebred or not!!! Pet Stores always rely on the puppy cuteness to get them adopted on a whim for high prices. I really wish people would realize where the puppies in pet stores really come from. Always advocate to friends and friends friends to NEVER buy a pet from a pet store unless it's a rescue group displaying animals up for adoption. That's different. However, I do feel sorry for the poor puppies and kittens stuck in the middle of this horrible breeding for profit.

Here are some really good links and suggestions (http://www.nopuppymills.com/petshops.html) for you regarding Pet Shop puppies and puppy lemon laws. It will also be useful to know the animal abuse laws for your state. There will be several criteria that a pet store must meet for the care of their animals, and it sounds to me that this petstore you were in was definitely breaking those. The laws can be helpful if you know where to find the ones to back you up! Try looking here (http://www.nopuppymills.com/statelaws.html) for the laws of your state.

Good luck and lots of ***hugs*** to you for doing this! We're all right here with ya!:D

lizbud
03-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Avajoy,

I think Karen's advice is good advice, contact your local
humane society, or any other local rescue groups for
ideas. Express your observations & concerns to them
& see if there is any local group who would support a
boycott of the store. Wolflady's links are really good also
and might offer other ways to help .

I would like to offer one link to enlighten others & spur
on efforts to STOP " factory like" breeding of animals to
supply these Pet Shops. There is a difference between
a Pet Shop and A Pet Food Store. This link offers a look
at the character & motivation of Puppy Mill Operators;

http://malteseonly.com/pupmill.html

God Bless you for caring. I believe every person can make
a difference for these innocent & trusting creatures ; each
in our own way, we can all work towards the same end.
No More Puppy Mills. Liz & Buddy.

AvaJoy
03-21-2002, 09:36 PM
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions . . . so far, my complaints to officials have been met with apathy/indifference and I think I know why . . . each store in this chain is run by a member of one family . . . so it could be politics . . . :rolleyes:

A fellow animal-lover co-worker visited the store today, and reported to me that the cages did not seem TOO awfully soiled so they must have FINALLY gotten around to cleaning, but that some puppies had no water and when she mentioned it to an employee they gave a look of exasperation and mumbled something about the chore of caring for the dogs being impossible to keep up with . . . my mission is just beginning here (thanks, too, for the links that I will persue!) and I like the idea of taking a photo (to persuade my hubby, of course!:cool:) as evidence! :p

It's so good to have you guys supporting me on this! :)

anna_66
03-22-2002, 10:04 PM
I have to say this...I bought Roxey from a pet store. Yes, we paid $600 for her....everyone is like "You shouldn't buy from a pet store". I kinda feel the same way, but someone has to rescue those poor little things:( , so it might as well be me. I truely understand how people feel about pet stores (the one we went to didn't have bad conditions, it was very, very clean), but I just couldn't help myself, our Keisha had only died about a month earlier, so , she was just meant to be with us. And I do agree, the prices they ask, are crazy. I also said I wouldn't buy one from a pet store, but we did. No, I don't think she is a perfect Siberian, but she is to me. Anyway, just had to put my two cents in. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Karen
03-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Not offended, and glad she was in a clean, nice store, and better yet, that she is happily with you.

anna_66
03-23-2002, 07:06 AM
Good. I'm glad your not offended. I even asked my husband to read my post first, to make sure he thought the same! I also forgot, there was something else I wanted to say....it's not always best to get your dog from a breeder either, make sure they are a reputable one. We weren't very smart years ago & bought a female rottie from someone, come to find out he was like a puppy mill. He kept his females pregnant all the time. Needless to say our Harley wasn't very smart, but she was a sweetheart. We had to end up getting rid of her because she tried to kill our chow we had at the time. Just wanted to add that.

lizbud
03-23-2002, 09:16 PM
Not offended, just very, very sad that people still
purchase dogs from Pet Shops while dogs (even Purebred)
languish in Humane Society & private shelters all over
the country. Every dog purchased at a pet store does
nothing but extend the misery of these cute puppy's
mother & father dogs who must stay behind and keep
reproducing until they die. Never knowing a human touch
or a kind word. For every dog bought at a pet shop, one
more deserving , lovable dog is left to an overburdened
shelter. No I am not offended when anyone buys from
a pet shop, it's a free country. I feel very, very sad ...

tatsxxx11
03-24-2002, 07:37 AM
Anna, I understand the emotional dilemma that Pet Store puppies present for you and for many of us. You feel so torn. We know that purchasing from such places only promotes the horror that is the "puppymillll." Yet, at the same time, we feel so pressed to rescue them from these horrible places. :confused: I often think that shelter dogs are treated more humanely than these helpless creatures. And I often wonder what the future holds for those pet store doggies who are not bought, and then, as adults, are no longer considered "desirable.":(

Avajoy, thank you for all of your efforts! We all should follow your lead! Fortunately, no such stores exist in my immediate area. However, I am from NJ, and would be interested to learn where the store is that you speak of, and the name. I think that until the state legislatures, or Congress, passes laws making illegeal the sale of puppies under these conditions, the cycle will not be broken. Thanks to all who have supplied links and offered such great advice on how to make known, and to help fight this disgraceful practice. I for one email and write my legislators, senators and congress people BEGGING them to do something to end this horror!!! I think we all should, letting them know that it is we who vote them into, and WE who can vote them OUT OF OFFICE! To paraphrase a well known bumper sticker..."I'm an animal lover AND I VOTE!"

momoffuzzyfaces
03-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Try a letter to the editor of your local newspaper too. You would be surprised who reads those. It may at least prompt cleaning of the cages. A new business won't want bad press.

AvaJoy
03-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Anna, don't think for a moment that we are offended; in fact, 13 years ago my Sadie was purchased by my then fiance from a pet store as a Christmas present for me; we had gone together to look at the puppies and fell in love with her. A few days after he surprised me with her, she became extremely ill (it was Xmas Eve) and we rushed her to vet where she was put on IV, etc. etc. Needless to say, her very first Christmas was a miserable one for her . . . in a few days she was allowed to eat ground beef mixed with rice, and I remember standing over the stove cooking with one hand, while cradling her in my other arm . . . we really bonded.

When she was out of danger we immediately contacted the pet store for an explanation and reimbursement for her vet bill, but of course they turned a deaf ear and soon after closed up shop . . . :o

BTW, there was a Shiba puppy at the filthy pet store I visited, and I wonder if today's Dog of the Day (also a Shiba) was purchased from a pet store. Sadie, like this dog, has epilepsy. It was not discovered until only a few years ago. It is fairly common with mill dogs, I have since learned.

Sadie is also undersized for her breed, and not the sharpest knife in the drawer, either . . . but we love her bunches! Her papers state she was bred in IOWA which is considered to be "puppy mill central" according to one website I visited . . . :(

I was so naive 13 years ago that I remember wanting to call the breeder to chat about Sadie's parents, maybe get photos of them for Sadie's little Baby Book and maybe sending photos of her to them for their scrapebook . . . :rolleyes: :confused: If I had ever gone through with contacting them, it would have been a rude awakening . . . :o

lizbud
03-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Avajoy,

Hi , Just wanted to share this link to an article in the
local Indy paper about a pet shop facing a loss of license
because of unhealthy conditions in which the pups are
confined. It's an interesting article I think.

http://indystar.com/article.php?passpets27.html

sammi
03-28-2002, 09:53 PM
Yes it was a intresting article so thanks for sharing it . I have relatives in IND. Indiana I hope the word gets spread until they clean up their act.

AvaJoy
03-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Lizbud! That article could have easily been about the pet store in my state . . . many similarities such as having several stores within a region, excrement not falling between the cage floor wires . . . and it sounds like Mr. Inspector who gave them a "good" rating SURELY must have been on the take . . . :( :mad:

lizbud
03-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Avajoy,

That's what I thought too. The article appeared so
soon after your original posting, it seemed more that
coincedental. The parts about "city codes" for keeping
these pet shop puppies might be of help to you in getting
your local shop to clean up their act.

Sammi,

Hi. You have family in Indiana? As we Hoosiers would
say "where abouts" do they live ? The state is really not
that big and I've visited most everywhere in the state.

AvaJoy
03-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Lizbud! That article could have easily been about the pet store in my state . . . many similarities such as having several stores within a region, excrement not falling between the cage floor wires . . . and it sounds like Mr. Inspector who gave them a "good" rating SURELY must have been on the take . . . :( :mad:

lizbud
04-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi, Evidently after the first newspaper article appeared,
more people have come forward to file complaints against
the Pass Pets pet shops. This appeared today;

http://indystar.com/article.php?passpets03.html

I hope their license is revoked. I looked up the business
that owns & operates these shops and they have 16 locations
in Ill,Ind,Mo. & Tenn and are looking for more sites throughtout
the southern states. Sounds like the Puppymill factory will be
working overtime. So sad.