PDA

View Full Version : New pups constant whining

juxie
10-10-2005, 03:51 PM
My pup, a Shepherd/Boxer mix has been whining constantly since we brought her home. Now, this was only yesterday morning- so i'm assuming at least some of it is seperation anixety? I had to sleep on the floor with her last night *sigh*

She goes past a little whimpering to full out howling. Is this common- and how long can i expect the behavior to last? Shes doing it at all times of the day- going from playing happliy to mournful whimpering- to howls.

How should I react when she does this- particularly at night? I have two kids who need to get some sleep for school, and her howling is pretty piercing. Do I try and ignore the behavior so that she realizes her howling isn't going to bring the humans running to give her attention? Or do I try and distract her?

My first behavioral hurdle :D

Jessika
10-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Definitely ignore her; if she sees she is getting attention for it, she'll keep doing it.

Do you have a crate? Maybe she feels scared and a crate will sometimes give pups a sense of security.

Also when you adopted her, was she already separated from her mother or was she still with her mother until you took her?

Husky_mom
10-10-2005, 04:13 PM
all is because she misses her "pack" she feels lonely, you can place some plush toys to "imitate" her brothers and sisters and of course her mother, also you can place a warm water bag to produce heat as if she where cuddled with them and a ticking clock to make heart beating sound, so she can calm down. as you said ignoring also helps (well in some cases) since there are some dogs that take advantage and (just like with kids) if they cry thay know youŽll rush over, which canŽt always be done.

also this will occur for a couple of days till she gets used to the fact that sheŽs the only dog and get used to different scenario.

donŽt worry i guarantee youŽll have a few more bad nights but then it will be ok, and now prepare to other stuff.

Good luck on your new pup

juxie
10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
She was still with her mom up until I took her home yesterday. Shes used to being around her mom and 8 brothers and sisters.

I don't have a crate yet- but I have made a secure area for her in a corner behind a chair that is HER spot. She has a dog pillow, a big stuffed monkey the size of her siblings and a blanket to burrow in.The kids have been told that when she is in her spot, that she is to be left alone- no petting or playing with her.

I'm not sure what to do at bedtime. Last night I tried putting her in the porch with all her things, and a radio playing softly. She was ok for about an hour- then howled her lungs out. So my kids could sleep- I ended up sleeping on a cushion on the living room floor with her.

She will be spending her first significant time alone tomorrow when we go to work. She will be in the porch with her things from 9 am until 12, when I'll come home on my lunch hour to let her out to potty. I'm hoping that this time without us will get her accustomed to being in the porch alone for periods of time and the nights will grow quieter. My boyfriend gets home at 4 pm so her can let her potty and play with her then.

I hope I'm doing things somewhat correctly..

buttercup132
10-14-2005, 07:59 PM
the absoulut WORST thing you can do is try to comfort her i know its hard but by doing what you are doing its teaching her that howling is a good thing , try lock her a a bathroom in the dark and just completly ignore her maybe put her in a hour before you put your kids to bed and when shes quiet go in and praise her and give her treat for being a good girl eventually she will learn , any pet trainer/behavoirist will tell you comforting her is bad and t will just lead to a bunch of problems

pitc9
10-15-2005, 09:39 AM
the absoulut WORST thing you can do is try to comfort her i know its hard but by doing what you are doing its teaching her that howling is a good thing

I couldn't agree more! I've learned this lesson myself. :o
During thunderstorms my Buddy freaks out wildly, and when I first adopted him I comforted him, and I'm paying the price for that dearly now!! :(

A small crate would be the best thing.

tikeyas_mom
10-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah.. I would have to agree with everyone eles here.. Get a crate asap..

dab_20
10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
yah i agree with everyone. a crate really is the best thing. they tend to feel like its there 'den'. i just got a new puppy today...... so i know i am in for the same thing.:)