PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving at the vet

Glacier
10-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Yup, I spent Thanksgiving evening at the vet. A house full of company and my dogs decided to have a fight! First fight in several months. Pacer had to go to the vet--puncture wounds under his front leg. I actually thought it was a big gash, but Pacer wouldn't let me get a good look at it. There was a lot of blood though--Blood on white fur is a terrifying, horrible looking thing! (Pacer is solid white.) My vet, Dr. Kim, was clearly eating when he called me back, but as always he was most gracious about meeting me at the clinic. There are no emergency clinics here, but the two clinics in town always have a vet on call.

We were met at the door by two vets. Dr. Kim had a former vet school classmate up visiting and helping out at the clinic. Kevin, his friend, worked on Pacer. He was very good. Kim was on the phone for the entire two hours returning other emergency calls. At least I wasn't the only person ruining his holiday meal!

They used Dormitor on Pacer as he has been highly resistant to ACE in the past. It just doesn't do a thing to Pace. The Dormitor knocked him on his butt in a few seconds. No need to use a full general on him. Kevin put in a couple drains and cleaned up the other punctures. Gave him a shot of the reversal agent and 10 minutes later Pacer was walking--like a drunk, but walking! That meant he didnt' have to spend the night, which would have freaked him right out. He was much happier at home.

This morning, Pacer is up and walking. He won't go outside, but I imagine once he has to pee he will want out. The other dogs are all confined so no one can bug him once he does go outside. I came home from the clinic to find Stuart in the shop working on a gate for Pacer's own pen. We've had the fence up for weeks, but never got the gate built. The gate goes up tonight!

As we were getting ready to leave I heard Kim tell Kevin..." She has Metacam and betadine at home, probably has anti-biotics too, don't bother giving her instructions on flushing the drains, she's better at it than I am, and she's good for the bill, just put it on her account."

I think I spend too much time and money at that clinic!

k9krazee
10-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh my! I'm glad Pacer is home and is doing okay!!

ramanth
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm so sorry you had to spend your holiday like that. :( I hope Pacer and anyone else injured gets better real fast.

Glacier
10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm so sorry you had to spend your holiday like that. :( I hope Pacer and anyone else injured gets better real fast.

Thanks. No one else was hurt. We were able to get them separated pretty quick and prevent any other injuries.

lv4dogs
10-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Wow how scary. Glad everything turned out ok. Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery!

I didn't know you guys were that far ahead of time from us east coasters in the states. Or is your thanksgiving on a different date? Ours is Nov. 24th.

Glacier
10-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Wow how scary. Glad everything turned out ok. Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery!

I didn't know you guys were that far ahead of time from us east coasters in the states. Or is your thanksgiving on a different date? Ours is Nov. 24th.

Canadian thanksgiving is about six weeks before the American holiday. Today is actually the holiday, but we had turkey dinner last night.

lv4dogs
10-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Canadian thanksgiving is about six weeks before the American holiday. Today is actually the holiday, but we had turkey dinner last night.

Thanks for clearing that up. For a minute there I thought I failed terribly at remembering the time zones. lol lol

luvofallhorses
10-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh my goodness. :( I am glad Pacer is OK. Good thoughts and prayers going his way for a speedy recovery.

gemini9961
10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Oh I am so happy to hear he is doing okay. I got a giggle out of the comment from the vet, just means you take excellent care of your dogs and they know it. :D

Cinder & Smoke
10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
"... she's better at it than I am,
and she's good for the bill ..."

I think I spend too much time and money at that clinic!

;)

Poor Pacer ~ he must have drawn the short straw :(

It is too bad that you're on such Good Terms with the Clinic ...
some places you'd like to be more unknown!

But it IS nice when your Vet and the Staff KNOW you and your FurKids! :)

Feel Better Quick, Pacer!!

Queen of Poop
10-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Awwww, poor Pacer. Very glad that he is ok.

anna_66
10-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I can just imagine how scary it was seeing all that blood, I think I would have freaked! But I guess you've been through this all enough to keep a clear head about things;)
Glad Pacer is home recovering instead of having to stay at the vets.

What a great vet you have!!!!

captain
10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Glad to hear Pacer is on the mend. :D

Who attacked him?

P.S. you know you are spending too much money at the vet, when the vet buys a Porsche :D

Glacier
10-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Who attacked him?

P.S. you know you are spending too much money at the vet, when the vet buys a Porsche :D

Heyoka started it and then it just turned into a pack thing. Even the dogs that would normally never think of fighting can get sucked into a pack fight.

Hmmm, well, he's not driving a porsche, but I'm pretty sure I built his new clinic!

Ginger's Mom
10-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Oh poor Pacer. I am glad to hear that he is home and recovering. Why is it that the kids always seem to act up on the holidays? :rolleyes:

buttercup132
10-11-2005, 06:52 AM
lol looks like me and pacer have sumin in common thne i spent thanksgiving in hospital ill tell u guys about it in general poor pacer every1 beating on him it sounds awful

Daisy and Delilah
10-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Sorry you had to spend the holiday at the vet Glacier. With all those dogs I guess the odds of something happening are greatly increased. It seems no one can handle these things better than you can. I hope Pacer is recovering nicely. Do you now have to seperate any of the dogs because of this? I can't imagine how you guys handle these situations so well. What are the chances of another fight starting in the future? This is coming from a person who gets upset when two chihuahuas look at each other wrong :rolleyes: I'm hoping everything is calm and all the doggies are happy with each other from now on :) Never a dull moment at your place huh?

Glacier
10-11-2005, 11:05 AM
. Do you now have to seperate any of the dogs because of this? I can't imagine how you guys handle these situations so well. What are the chances of another fight starting in the future?

We won't separate them permanantly, but Pacer is getting his own pen. He'll be in there with Chum and maybe Franklin. Frankie gets picked on occasionally too. Chum and Pacer are very good friends. Chum is also a bit of a trouble maker with Heyoka so it will reduce tensions if he is in a pen for the day. They will all still sleep inside and be in the main yard when someone is out to supervise them. Heyoka seems to be starting most of the trouble lately so we've taken to tying him up when no one is home. (his choice, he could go in a pen, but he hates being fenced and freaks out)

The odds of another fight go up every time there is one. It's kind a like biting--a dog that has bitten is more likely to do it again. A dog that's been in a fight, especially if they weren't hurt, is more likely to do it again.

All things considered, especially the sheer number of dogs we have, they get along pretty well. Fights are actually pretty rare. The only way to eliminate them completely would be to treat them like most sled dogs and chain them all up, but I don't want to do that.

Roxyluvsme13
10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Aww Poor Pacer! Glad he's doing better:) and sorry you had to spend Thanksgiving like that:(