PDA

View Full Version : doggie daycare opinions

cfuh
03-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Currently, I am driving home at lunchtime to take care of my puppy (about 15 miles one way) but when she's old enough, I am thinking about sending her to daycare instead. I was wondering about your opinions on this type of care. (Unfortunately, I am not comfortable with a dog walker coming into my house during the day.) Thanks!!! :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-20-2002, 05:19 PM
Well I just hope everything thinks that they are great......Mainly because I am going to school to get a business management degree so I one day can own my own pet hotel. I just can't wait either.... then my life long dream will be able to come to life, I can get paid to play with animals!! Anyway I would take my dog to a doggie daycare but I would first ask for some references and check up on the daycare owner...... you want your furkid in good hands. :D

LoudLou
03-20-2002, 08:15 PM
I choose my Vet (And I would daycare if it were available) as if I were chosing them for my child. You want the BEST for your kids...our furbabies are OUR KIDS so I would choose their daycare the same way. Unfortunately for Louie the CLOSEST 'Doggie Day Care" is over 100 Miles away!!!:eek: So he won't be going. If we had one where we live and it was a good one I wouldn't hesitate to take him. For now he just goes to Grandma's.;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Let me ask this question..... I am sure you guys will give me some good advice. When I finish school I am wanting to open my own pet hote. One where people go on vacations or to work and the leave their pets with me to watch. Do you guys think this would be a successful business? If you had a pet hotel in your area would you bring them in? :D :)

Karen
03-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Our neighbor's dog goes to doggie daycare - a van comes to pick him up! :) Rocky is a boisterous boy, and seems a very happy dog.

LoudLou
03-20-2002, 08:52 PM
I most DEFINITELY WOULD!:D :D .....but you'd have to move to Port Townsend, WA.;)

Crikit
03-20-2002, 09:58 PM
If I had to send my pups to doggie daycare which thankfully I don't, I would most likely take them to the one that is run by the place that I take agility classes at, for a couple of reasons I know the majority of people who work at the daycare and they treat all dogs like they do their own which is very well, plus I've seen the building and the area that they are kept in both during daycare hours and after. I guess it's sort of a personal preference though and sort of a gut feeling.

Oh and Sara, if there were some close by I would use a pet hotel :D

Cincy'sMom
03-20-2002, 10:00 PM
We have a Doggie Dayschool here in Toledo. I take the girls once or twice a month. The school is open from 6:30 am til 6:30 pm and the cost is $3.00/hr or $2.50/hr if you purchase a prepaid card for 40 hours. They have indoor and outdoor play ares, two 45 min. scheduled nap times, where they put the dogs in kennels and give them treats. The require yearly proof of vaccinations, require reservations so they can garuntee there is a staff person there for every 10-12 dogs, and they require an interview with the dog before it is admitted to ensure the dog is freindly with people and other dogs. My dogs love going, they come home tired and I totally trust the people there. If anyone wants more info about this dayschool, either for ideas of things to include to get your own going, to what to look for if you want to take your dogs to one, they have a web site:

www.pupsnpeople.com (http://www.pupsnpeople.com)

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-21-2002, 07:15 AM
Sara, I like your idea! I saw on the animal planet a story about a pet resort where pets and their humans come to vaccation together. There are all sorts of activities for them to do together or seperate, Spa treatments for the animals and humans, fine gormet cuisine for both, etc... That sounds wonderful!

Dixieland Dancer
03-21-2002, 09:52 AM
I am currently discussing opening a Doggy daycare with a friend. I think it's a wonderful idea and if you have the opportunity to take advantage of one, do it!

sabies
03-21-2002, 01:49 PM
I would consider doggie daycare but there are a couple of things that prevent me. One is the cost, I just don't make enough and the ones I know of around me are expensive. Another is the hours - the doggie daycares I looked into close at 5 or 6, too early for my commute home. My request to you Sara or anyone that is involved in that business is to offer specials or economical alternatives and have flexible hours - I wouldn't want to worry that if I'm 15 minutes late my dog is locked in over night!

aly
03-21-2002, 03:16 PM
We have some doggie daycare places around here. Reece has been once and that was enough for him :rolleyes: And I know just by the way Lolly is that she would be MISERABLE there. Its too bad because one of the places with dog play days is really good with an excellent trainer who owns the place. Unfortunately I wouldn't use a pet hotel because it would make my dogs utterly miserable. I would either have to make my sister watch them or not go on my trip at all :)

ScotiaDuckToller
03-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Well, I personally am o.k with them if they are widely known and approved by your vet, but I think it should be a last option.;)