PDA

View Full Version : Help Little Liberty

Madison's Mom
03-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Hello!

This is my first posting. I really need advice in dealing with fear agreesion in my 6 month old female Chinese Crested Powderpuff.

She is the most affectionate dog with her family and her doggy sisters.

However, around strange dogs she is agressive- she bares teeth and snaps when dogs get in her face, and while off leash at the park yesterday she started barking and chasing a much larger dog. It was amusing to the park-goers becase she is 4 pounds, but I am concerned.

Any suggestions for conditioning her are appreciated.
:confused:

Stenograsaurus
03-20-2002, 02:26 PM
I don't have any advice for your situation but I just wanted to suggest to you that maybe you should post this topic under dog behavior. You would probably get a better response there.

By the way, Welcome to Pettalk. I hope you like it here as much as I do.

tatsxxx11
03-20-2002, 02:32 PM
Yes, definitely post in behavior!!! We have a wonderful PT member from England who is a certified dog behaviorist, snd another terrific member named Candace who has extensive experience with breeding and raising dogs. They both give fantastic, no nonsense, to the point advice! Of course, my first question would be....Has she been to Puppy K, been in obedience training at all? Has she/is she being socialized with other dogs and humans? That is SO important!! Why not jump this over to behavior and tell us a little more! I know a lot of well informed people can offer you advice!! A Chinese Crested! Wow, that's a first for PT! Welcome to you and your little one!!!

Gio
03-21-2002, 03:41 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk. The others are right we have a number of wonderful experts here! :)

Dixieland Dancer
03-21-2002, 09:20 AM
Madison sounds like a little ball of fur that thinks she is a Big German Shepherd! You are doing the right thing by recognizing behaviors that need attention and trying to solve them.

I would imagine that your little one is having difficulty because of inadequate socialization when she was smaller. People tend to think that puppy kindergarten is important because you get a head start on obedience training your pup. That is not the benefit of puppy K. It is SOCIALIZATION or in another term, teaching your dog to "speak dog."

Your pup was probably taken out from it's litter before 8 weeks of age too! This is another place where learning to "speak dog" is critical. Puppies don't need to stay with the litter until 8 weeks because of MOM, but because of the littermates. In the whelping box, littermates are learning critical social skills from each other. They are learning to "speak dog" to one another.

In short, your pup is showing an inability to "speak dog" with other dogs. Don't despair though because it is not to late to work on this issue.

You need to learn a series of desensitizing steps to help your pup when she is around other dogs. She needs to get her stress level down when around other dogs and focus more on you. It will take work on your part but can be done.

Here are some steps to work on:

1. Next time you are at the dog park, do NOT allow her to interact with any other dog. Do NOT even think of taking her off the lead. Try to maintain her focus on you. Give her food rewards and praise for maintaining focus on you. Obedience work is good here since in obedience the dog learns to focus on you for commands. If you don't do obedience, I recommend you take a class. At this age though you want to go straight into a regular class and not a puppy K. class. You have lost the time period of a puppy K class being able to help socialize your pup.

2. While you are at the dog park, notice when your pup seems to lose interest in you and what body language she displays. If you can learn to "READ" your dogs body language so you can intervene appropriately before aggressive behavior is displayed, you are ahead of the game.

3. Continue to lower your dogs stress level around other dogs. Give her a massage or rub her neck. Talk soothing to her and let her know she is okay. This is very important for both owner and pup. Sometimes when you are "worried" that your pup will bark and attack, you send signals of tension and anxiety. If at anytime during your visit to the park and her levels of arousal become to intense, come back to the massage and soothing talk.

4. Next comes the harder part. Teach her a command such as "OFF" or "Leave it" or whatever you feel comfortable saying. This command is to be used ONLY when your dog gives a aggressive inclination to another dog. When focus is returned to you then you reinforce vigourosly with a food treat and verbal praise. Give LOTS of treats if she glances at another dog but does not show signs of "ruffled feathers". The purpose of this is to teach them that the presence of other dogs is a goog thing. They get lots of treats when other dogs are around!

END OF DOG PARK VISIT NUMBER 1. Make sure you leave on a successful note.

NEXT VISIT(s)!

1. Start off with the relaxing massage and soothing verbal tones.

2. Practice the controlled looking with food treats and verbal praise for wanted behavior. If you have problems in this area it may be because dogs look more appealing than your food treat. Make sure you have something that she just "CAN't RESIST!"

3. When this is going successfully, ON LEAD take her for a small walk around the park. When you pass by another dog talk soothing. Keep trying to get her attention onto you. If she does then lots of praise and lots of treats! Reward her vigorously for wanted behavior. Remember the OFF command if she doesn't want to pay attention to you. Each time she hears this command and listens to it, you need to reinforce it immediately with your food and verbal rewards!

4. Always leave the park on a positive note.

FINAL TRAINING STAGE (Only you can determine when this happens, but DO NOT rush it. Make sure the wanted behaviors are consistent first).

1. Start the visit to the park with the relaxation exercise of massage and soothing verbal tones.

2. Take a stroll and when her body language does not indicate any anxiety and she is comfortable with you and doesn't concentrate on the other dogs, try to let her off lead. Again, don't be in a hurry to get to this stage.

3. If she has problems off lead, quickly give her your command of "OFF" and put her back on lead but do not give and further verbal repremand. Just start the exercises in order again. Eventually she will respond.

Final result should be a pup that is bonded to her owner, food motivated, responsive to commands, and relaxed around other dogs! This may take weeks or months to achieve but with consistent work on your part, is achievable!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Madison's Mom
03-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Dear Dixie and Dusty,

Thanks for the excellent training tips! We will use them immediately. You sound like a professional- this is just the type of help we need. I can't tell you how thankful I am!

The unusual thing about our little pup is that she was 10 weeks when we brought her home and we started socialization at about 3 months. However we did not tale her to "puppy" class but to a dog park thay has an area restricted to small dogs. Most of the small dogs the frequent this park we know because we have another small dog we take there on a regular basis. The dogs are friendly and not agressive and she has never been approached agressively by another dog.

We will, in essence, start over with our pup. She is such a joy and it would be a shame if she couldn't enjoy our family outings to parks and the beach.

Again, THANKS!!! I will let you know how things progress.

Madison's Mom;)