PDA

View Full Version : Passports

slleipnir
10-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Do you guys know if you need a passport right now to go from Canada to the US??? I know you didn't need one before, but I heard they can't quite make up their mind...

Also, how long does it take to get one??

slick
10-09-2005, 12:03 PM
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/menu_e.asp
Check here. Although it's not manditory, it is your best option. Without it you will require at least two pieces of ID with your picture on it and if you are flying into the States, Customs can get real picky.

First you get your pic taken at some place that takes them...they have to be a certain size. Then you fill out an application...and you need witnesses....you take the application and the photo along with two other pieces of ID (birth certificate, etc). Then it usually takes about 4 weeks.

I see that there is now an on-line application form. You might want to check that out.

RedHedd
10-09-2005, 12:13 PM
It took two weeks to get mine earlier this year. I was going from the U.S. to Canada and even though a passport is not mandatory, it does simplify the whole crossing the board/customs thing. Here in the U.S. the Post Offices do the whole thing, pictures, forms, etc. It's a very simple process.

AmberLee
10-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Wow. Yours was fast. I got mine in about 3 months, but friends have complained it took almost 6 months. Apparently it's seasonal?

Glacier
10-09-2005, 01:40 PM
It's not mandatory yet, but by 2007 it will be. Canadian passports cost 80 dollars and take about six weeks to get.

Randi
10-09-2005, 01:54 PM
My oh oh my, you have to go through a lot to get a passport! :eek: I needed a new one before I went to USA this summer, and I went to the police station with my photo, my old passport (whih they cancelled) and my sick insurance card 2-3 weeks before. I had my new passport in the mail a week after. :)

One time John and I were going to Spain, I suddenly remembered his had run out - we were leaving in 5 days time!! He kept his British passport and had to to go to the Embassy, but with a bit of persuation, he got it in time! :)

jackie
10-09-2005, 02:09 PM
There is an "express" option when getting a Canadian passport, I think was close to 80 dollars more, but you get it a lot faster.

Corinna
10-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Just from what i heard from costomers this summer a passport made it much easier. The getting in to Canada from US no problems its getting back in to the US (if your a US citizen)that can be a nightmare.

LuvGold00
10-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I went to Canada a few weeks ago, and will be going back at the end of the month. Going into Canada from NY they didn't ask us for any ID, just asked what we were going for (dropping a dog off for shows) and how long we were going to be there, then just said have a good time and that was it. On the way out of Canada (we crossed in Cornwall, ON) they just asked us for drivers licenses and that was it, pretty easy.

Cinder & Smoke
10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
... Going into Canada from NY they didn't ask us for any ID...
On the way out of Canada (we crossed in Cornwall, ON)
they just asked us for drivers licenses ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif
I wonder if they alternate who does what each day?? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

I took the Threee Mutts into Canada to watch the Tug Boat Race at
Windsor, Onataio, this summer.

We entered Canada via the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel ~
The Americans didn't even *wave* G-bye ...
The Canadian Cute Young Thing in the booth (with the cute Canadian accent http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif )
looked at my driver's license and only asked where we were going and
how long we'd be staying.
I asked HER more questions about would I have a problem getting the Dogs
back into the States than she asked me! And she declined my offer to show her
the Dogs' Vet and Rabies papers. Off we went to watch the Race!

Late afternoon we returned to the good ole USA via the Ambassador Bridge ~
That time the Canadians weren't to be seen on their side;
And the American (guy) in the booth didn't want to *see* ANYthing ...
he just asked if we bought anything that needed to be declared.

I got a little "nerbus" that we'd picked the wrong lane coming back - the car in front
of us was "detained" for 10 or 15 minutes while two "booth guys" walked around
the vehicle a couple of times and opened the back door of the SUV. He must
have "passed the inquisition" though, because he drove straight ahead to pay
his bridge toll and vanished into the USA ahead of us.

As for "Passport Required" in the future for USA/Canada crossings;
I read an atricle just before we crossed that said the "plans" by both countries
to require Passports was being reconsidered ...
It is thought that requiring Passports might put a serious dent in the number
of tourist visitors each country sends to the other on a daily basis.

/s/ Phred