PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on getting a cat?

laxlvrlmt
10-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I am getting a cat in about 3 hours(or am going to look for one), and I was wondering what tabby cat's personalities are like.

Laura's Babies
10-09-2005, 11:25 AM
They are as good as any.. I have 2 tabby with white, both are sweethearts but so is Samantha and Giz. Where are you going to get one? Know how old they are? Soon as you get it, take it to the vets and get it checked out.

just me
10-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I ve got and had tabbys for the last 21 years. I love them to pieces.
Of course look for healthy, and not overly aggressive ones.
Although I believe that with love and attention any cat will be great.
My opinion, Orange Tabbys make the best companions.
Best of luck to you.
Keep us posted. ;)

moosmom
10-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Orange tabbies seem to be laid back and mellow, from what I've heard. But I don't have any. Make sure when you're looking, you check out their eyes (make sure they're not runny), their noses (if they're running, chances are they have an Upper Respiratory Infection). Most shelter cats DO have URIs. It's a fact because of all the over crowding in the shelters. Also check for ringworm. Any bald patches on the cat, beware. Ringworm is also common in shelters and is VERY contagious.

One word...let the cat pick you! You'll know who's going home with you. If you see one that puts their paws through the bars CRAVING attention, meowing like crazy, you'll know that's the one for you!!!

Good luck in your search.

catnapper
10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, being the resident authority on tabbies -- you can't go wrong! If you are going to a shleter, ask them about each cat's personality. Think about whether you want a lap kitty, or an indpendant kitty. Do you want one who is outgoing or shy? Are you someone who's always home and would like a snuggly kitty or someone who's always on the run and want a cat that doesn't constantly need to be petted and adored? These are all very important and the more you ask about the cat, and how he/she will fit into your life, the happier both of you will be.

jenluckenbach
10-09-2005, 01:29 PM
How exciting!!! The best advice is definitely let the cat pick you. If you pick a cat based soley on color or sex or age, the match might not be perfect. But if you let the cats "speak" to you, you will have a great companion for life.

Let us know what you find. :D:D I can't wait.

just me
10-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, being the resident authority on tabbies -- you can't go wrong! If you are going to a shleter, ask them about each cat's personality. Think about whether you want a lap kitty, or an indpendant kitty. Do you want one who is outgoing or shy? Are you someone who's always home and would like a snuggly kitty or someone who's always on the run and want a cat that doesn't constantly need to be petted and adored? These are all very important and the more you ask about the cat, and how he/she will fit into your life, the happier both of you will be.

I totally agree with you. A cat based on your lifestyle.
Excellent advice. ;)

orangemm
10-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes, by all means let the cat pick YOU. They're infinitely smarter than we are!

Soapets
10-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Let the kitten pick you. Then just volunteer to be a "foster" meowmie, and your little kitten will soon have a baby brother or sister to play with! :D

Deb

catmandu
10-09-2005, 07:26 PM
When you go to a shelter one will catch your eye,and tell you,that he is your Cat.
And i would take an Adult Cat,about two yeras old,as thier purrsonalities are more set,and they are often overlooked,in the rush for Kittens.
Good Luck,and I hope that You come home,with a Treasure!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture863.jpg