PDA

View Full Version : Saving screenshots of video?

buckner
10-09-2005, 12:04 AM
This may seem a bit confusing because I don't know how to explain it, but I will try my best. Also, excuse me because I'm not up on the technology terms.

I basically want to take a video that someone is hosting online and save screenshots of the video. I press the 'print screen' button, and then go to PSP and paste it. Then I notice the image from the video is not really there because it was video. So I can crop it and and save, but it'll come out just as a black image, and not the image I want.

Is there any way to save pictures from this video, without the actual and original footage? I know I could go frame by frame if I had that, but how do I fix this without it?

I'm asking because my friend's 18th birthday party was last night, and there are many shots from the video he took that I want to keep as images because I don't want to waste the space by saving this video onto my computer, as it's quite large.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help me!!!

-Sara-

slleipnir
10-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Try to open it in virtual dub...it's a free program and it allows you to take screen shots of videos!!

Edit- I duno if you can open it without saving..but you could save it, screencap the pics, then delete the video?

buckner
10-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Where can I get Virtual Dub?

And I did save it to attempt to capture the pictures, but it won't let me. I even tried to open it in Animation Shop, but it won't let me open it there.

Edit - does anyone know how to change the file type? The reason it won't open in Virtual Dub (I found it and downloaded it) is because it's saved as a Windows Media file, but it won't save as anything else.

Jessika
10-09-2005, 12:34 AM
If you have Windows XP there is a program that comes default with XP called "Windows Movie Maker". Open the movie in that program and yuo can take screen shots.

buckner
10-09-2005, 12:38 AM
If you have Windows XP there is a program that comes default with XP called "Windows Movie Maker". Open the movie in that program and yuo can take screen shots.
Again, the video won't open up in that program. It's saved as a Windows Media File and I can't change it.. or at least, I don't know how to.

It won't open as anything else when I view the video, either, so I don't know how to view it in another program to save it there first.

Jessika
10-09-2005, 12:40 AM
What is the file extension on the movie? Anything is a Windows Media File that is set to open default in Windows Media player lol

buckner
10-09-2005, 12:44 AM
If you mean if it says "wmv" or "ani" it's nothing like that. It simply says "Windows Media File".

I can't find where to see what the extension is. I saved it in Windows Media Player and the only thing that it could as was "all files".

*shrug* Does that help explain at all?

Jessika
10-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Every file has an extension lol.

Open up any folder on your desktop, go to "tools > folder options", click "view".

Then look for "hide extensions for known file types" and UNCHECK the box. click ok then browse to where your movie is saved. It should now show a file extension.

buckner
10-09-2005, 12:53 AM
It shows as a .wmv

So why won't it open in anything? :/

Jessika
10-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Are you sure it isn't letting you open it in Windows Movie Maker?? Because I can open those file types in it.

buckner
10-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Yeh, if I'm doing it correctly, then I'm positive it's not letting me open it.

Lets make sure I'm trying to open it the right way. --- Under file, there's a blank white paper icon for "New Project". I'm clicking on the icon to the right of it labeled "Open Project". I then browse and find my video, and say OK. It then tells me I cannot open this file because it's not in a version that it likes.

Am I right, or is there something I'm missing? :/

EDIT --- I'm an idiot. I found the import icon. LOL, I'll post again if I'm having trouble.

Thank you so much! :)

buckner
10-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Okay, so I've got the video imported. There are many clips, and I have the clips that I want images from. How do I get the video to just have one frame saved of the entire video? I tried splitting the clip - that didn't help, really. Anything special I need to do?

Jessika
10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
On teh pane where the movie is playing, there is a little button with a camera and when you hover it says "take picture". Click this button and it will take a "picture" of the current frame. The images are saved in your My Pictures folder :)