PDA

View Full Version : Australian Cattle Dog Question

prechrswife
10-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I have mentioned before that I grew up with Australian Cattle Dogs. Tonight my husband and I were walking through a local pet store, and they had some ACD puppies. (We were just looking at the animals in the store. We can't afford another dog right now and wouldn't buy from a pet store if we wanted another one.) Anyway, the whole litter had docked tails. I had never seen this on ACDs before. Is this a common practice? Our dogs always had their full tails. It just struck me as strange.

sammy101
10-07-2005, 09:00 PM
most cattle dogs i see have their tails docked.I'm not sure if its a common procedure(spll?) or not.

binka_nugget
10-07-2005, 09:06 PM
All the Australian Cattle Dogs I've met had their full tails but I guess it isn't too bizzare cause there are Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs (natural though) out there.

gemini9961
10-07-2005, 10:36 PM
If they are a true working ACD then they should NOT have their tails docked. Their tails serve as a "rudder" as they are herding. My ACD has his full tail. I read that docking their tails does them an incredible diservice because they use it so much as they are working.

prechrswife
10-08-2005, 03:11 PM
All the Australian Cattle Dogs I've met had their full tails but I guess it isn't too bizzare cause there are Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs (natural though) out there.

Hmmm. I wonder if that might be the case with this litter. It does seem like it would affect their balance when herding, though.

Jessika
10-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Apparently there are "two" versions of the ACD

The Australian Cattle dog, tail intact (AKC recognized and standard)
The Australian Stumpy-Tailed Cattle Dog, tail docked or natural dock (not AKC recognized OR breed standard practice)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/stumpytailcattledog.htm
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm

They're the EXACT SAME BREED just have their tail docked.

prechrswife
10-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Okay, that makes sense, at least. They were not advertising these as registered pups. I didn't event think about that.

Jessika
10-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Well then they were lying, or had false papers, or registered to some organization that doesn't mean anything anywhere lol.

EDIT: Ahh, I read it wrong I thought you said they WERE trying to.

jackie
10-08-2005, 05:41 PM
^your two pups look so cute.

Jessika
10-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Thank you so much!! :D