PDA

View Full Version : New Virus??

catnapper
10-07-2005, 05:28 PM
My computer's been goofy the past few days -- acting sluggish, locking up on me. I've had to do more shut downs and restarts in the past week than I've EVER had to do!

Tonight I decided to try to do something about it. I ran two anti-spyware programs, deleted what came up. I meant to do a virus scan, but didn't get there.... because my keyboard and mouse completely froze! :eek: It was as if the computer no longer recognized the mouse and keyboard. Luckily I had a spare keyboard and mouse that I plugged in. Nothing happened when I plugged them in, so I rebooted and the computer came up just fine. It recognized the replacement mouse and keyboard.

OMG... I almost DIED. All I could think of was how I backed up ALL the family photos the other day, but NOT the animals (out of discs to burn). I almost cried thinking I lost all of Flutter's kitten pics.

What could have caused this to happen? A virus? The weather? (seriously.... its pouring and so humid that everythign is dripping wet with condensation). Does anyone know if there IS a new virus that would have this effect on my mouose and keyboard?

Jessika
10-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Well there are hundreds of new viruses every day.

And it doesn't sound like a virus that did that to your comp, it just sounds like your comp had a temporary brain fart.

For virus and malware detection adn removal I STRONGLY recommend you download and use these programs on a weekly basis!!

-- Microsoft AntiSpyware
-- AdAware
-- Spybot Search&Destroy
-- AVG AntiVirus FREE Edition
-- PeerGuardian (methlabs.org)

I have all programs and run them at least once a week (actually most I have on a schedule so some run daily / every other day automatically) and I have NEVER had ANY problems with spyware, malware, or viruses since!

catnapper
10-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I already run all of those at LEAST twice a week. I am right on top of my computer's maintenece.

Now... I'm trying ot burn a CD... and the #@%@#$^@! CD drive won't open! It goes from bad to worse!

Jessika
10-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Have you tried defragmenting your drive?? I recommend doing this once every month or two.

Is the computer just running slow in general?? If so you may need to upgrade your RAM or Processor.

Don't format your hard drive, only do that as a last resort. If your computer is running slow or laggy then formatting is going to do absolutely nothing, lol.

EDIT: When my CD-ROM wouldn't open, my motor just broke. :( That, and the power cord wasn't plugged into it all the way! Check and make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in snugly (turn off your comp before doing this, obviously lol)

dukedogsmom
10-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't know if you can do this, I've never tried. Can you run it in safe mode and burn cds?

catnapper
10-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes, I defrag... I already stated I was on top of my computer's maintanence.

The CD Rom is a part of the computer. No plugs to connect. My plugs and wires are probably the neatest bunch of computer wires in America -- I know they are secure and tangle free.

Val, would safe mode make a difference here? I've never been in safe mode on this computer - I don't even know how ot GET there on this computer! :confused:

This is new, and something I've never dealt with before. All came about this week.... after Verizon had me install something for my DSL that didn't work. I've already uninstalled it. I uninstalled my old scanner last week (it went to scanner heaven) and had no problem since I uninstalled it, but through all this "stuff" now, the computer keeps trying to search for this scanner and not finding it (well, DUH!) I tried to re-uninstall THAT, and it says it can't find the uninstall log! UGH! EVERYTHING is going NUTS!

I swear this HAS to be a virus.

lizbud
10-07-2005, 06:02 PM
It could be a virus, but I wouldn't think so if you use the automatic
update feature in your virus protection.My pc slowed way down & I had
other issues once & it turned out to be a load of adware. Make sure the anti-spy sweep also lists all adware, then delete them.

It might also be an issue with your power source. Good luck. :)

Jessika
10-07-2005, 06:03 PM
The CD Rom is a part of the computer. No plugs to connect. My plugs and wires are probably the neatest bunch of computer wires in America -- I know they are secure and tangle free.

I'm well aware of that. I am talking about OPENING your computer case to make sure all of the plugs to the CD-ROM are securely plugged in. :P