PDA

View Full Version : Glacier question about the Springer?

Jadapit
10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
I was reading your post about what you do for fun with you dogs. You said you take some of them out on the bike with the springer. I have been thinking about getting one of those for awhile. Ebony is a pit bull, she has so much engery. I walk her a lot but she still has engery to burn. Do you like your springer? Do you think it would work ok with a pittie?

Glacier
10-07-2005, 02:11 PM
I love it! I use it alot for Bandit and Kayleigh. Bandit needs to run, but I would never see him again if he got loose. Kayleigh is a 120 pound malamute mix with extreme dog aggression issues. On the springer, I can get her by anything without a problem. She's never been able to tip the bike or get into anything with another dog. The spring absorbs her pulls to the side and she can't go very far, keeps her in the right spot and she can't get in front of the bike. Before I got it, I tried riding holding a leash. I still have scars from that foolishness!

I think it would work for any dog, except a really small breed. You just have to let the dog set the pace.

It comes with a wimpy little rope and a safety release. The release is supposed to let go if your dog decides to go on the wrong side of tree or something. I bypassed that. I use a cable neck line off my dog team lines. I'd rather take a fall than loose Bandit forever because he got loose. It's never been an issue though as it's pretty easy to control the dog and keep them in the right spot. The harness it comes with works well, but it's a pain in the butt, especially if you are using it on multiple, different sized dogs. It's fully adjustable, but can be tricky to adjust on an excited dog who's bouncing around! I bought a tracking harness instead. Easier to adjust and quicker to get on. Sledding harnesses don't work as the dog can get in front of the wheel with them. You need to use a harness that hooks about the middle of the dog's back.

There are a couple different types of bike attachments. K-9 Kruiser is another one. It attaches in a different spot on the bike. I think ramanth uses one for Kia. I've never tried them, but I've been extremely happy with the Springer.

Jadapit
10-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Thank you so much!! I'm going to order one of them. It sounds awesome! :D

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I have been wanting to get something like that for Finn. He likes to take off in random directions, though, when we're just jogging...after leaves, squirrels, people, dogs, you name it. Would it prevent that? Or do I need to wait til he's a little older and calmer? I know, Glacier, that you said Kayleigh can't get into it with another dog while she's on the springer, is that because she doesn't try at all since she's running with you, or because the springer actually prevents her from doing it?

Glacier
10-07-2005, 03:06 PM
I have been wanting to get something like that for Finn. He likes to take off in random directions, though, when we're just jogging...after leaves, squirrels, people, dogs, you name it. Would it prevent that? Or do I need to wait til he's a little older and calmer? I know, Glacier, that you said Kayleigh can't get into it with another dog while she's on the springer, is that because she doesn't try at all since she's running with you, or because the springer actually prevents her from doing it?

Finn could still try to go off to the side, but his movement would be pretty limited. He wouldn't be able to pull the bike over. The spring absorbs the energy of the pull and keeps you upright.

It works for Kayleigh in part because she's so happy to be running that she is better at ignoring other dogs who are leashed. But when a loose dog approachs us as long as I keep peddling she has no choice but to follow along.

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Finn could still try to go off to the side, but his movement would be pretty limited. He wouldn't be able to pull the bike over. The spring absorbs the energy of the pull and keeps you upright.

It works for Kayleigh in part because she's so happy to be running that she is better at ignoring other dogs who are leashed. But when a loose dog approachs us as long as I keep peddling she has no choice but to follow along.

Well, that really changes everything! That was the only reason I was nervous about trying one out. And, you recommend the springer? I'll be looking to get one soon.

gemini9961
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Hmmm...wonder how well this would work for Grant? He needs a lot of exercise and I can jog with him, but this might be interesting to try. Thanks for the info.

tricollie4me
10-08-2005, 07:44 AM
We have a Springer too -- I bought it for my husband as a birthday gift back in June (I think Bijou was the true recipient of that gift, lol!). The only drawback is putting it on the bike correctly; there are several parts to it and you do need to follow all the instructions and ensure it's properly placed before you use it for the first time. We opted to forgo the permanent gluing of the parts to the bike (the instructions do indicate that permanent attachment is recommended but optional) and it's been fine for us. Bijou is 45 lbs but she's very active and very easily distracted, typically; however, the Springer gives her a wonderful workout without concern for the biker's safety or her own. She absolutely loves it! Hubby enjoys taking her for a nice long ride and Bijou trots along, in heaven. The neighbors always ask my hubby what the heck is on his bike! An added bonus is that when he stops to visit neighbors or what-have-you, Bijou cannot jump up on folks as she'd probably like to - the Springer prevents that and she sits so nicely! It's not only good exercise, but the Springer aids as a training device, as well.

I have a pic or two somewhere from when we first tried it out, I'll try to find them! :)

Edited to add a photo:
Here's the one shot that (kind of, lol!) shows the Springer in action back in July. I apologize for the look of our street, the city put in a new water main last summer (oh, the joy of three months of construction!) and our little suburban street was pretty messy for a while! By the way, Springer has a great website so check it out for more info/details on how it works!
http://iblinkedyougrew.typepad.com/photos/everywhere_a_pup_pup/daddy_using_the_springer_to_bike_with_bi.jpg

RobiLee
10-08-2005, 09:22 AM
I would love to have one of these also. I need to get a bike too ;).

jackie
10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I have seen you can also buy dual ones, so you can run two dogs at once.

One thing I have heard though, is that you shouldn't run young dogs a lot until they are the age of two. You can damage the bones and joints while they are still developing.

anna_66
10-08-2005, 12:23 PM
We don't have a springer, but we do have a Bikerdog (http://www.bikerdog.com/) and we love it (or should I say Roxey loves it!!!). Never had any complications what so ever.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p4547ab77aa3dafde98e616c89c732fe6/fb247085.jpg
Amy (wolf_q) also has one.

finn's mom
10-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Those photos are so cool! I'm looking at the bikerdog right now!

Bigyummydog
10-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Springer??????

What did I miss? I hate to go out on my bike without MAXIMUS.
Needless to say, I don't ride my bike. I've always loved to.
But, it's not even a thought, because he is such a puller.
More info., please. Or show me the thread. It sound like JUST
what we need. We used to run for miles, well, he and I would
go two or three miles. His Daddy would run him at least five.
But, the bike would get us both back into shape.