PDA

View Full Version : October's book, chosen by Judy (shutterbug0303)

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Judy has chosen our book for October. She's already mentioned it in the other thread, but, here it is in it's own thread...

Here is the schedule for reading and discussions for October

Ok, there is no schedule! Sorry, sorry, sorry for being the suckiest suck who ever sucked. Well, we'll just read the book and open discussion for it on the 25th. I hope y'all don't hate me for changing this several times! We'll have it figured out for November, I promise!

The live chat will be open from 10 to 11 am on Friday, the 28th, and, on Sunday, the 30th, from 7 to 8 pm. These are Eastern times and based on the few responses I got when I asked members to give me times and days that were good for them. The live chat may or may not work out, as we've seen with the Pet Talk chat room opened recently, but, it's available if we want to use it. :) We will have open discussion on this thread, as well, starting Tuesday, the 25th. I want feedback on the live chat thing, too, because this, can, of course, be tweaked. I've already sent the link to everyone, but, if you need it again, let me know! :)

Members and Rules (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=90297)

caseysmom
10-07-2005, 12:37 PM
I have put a hold on that book at my local library :)

DJFyrewolf36
10-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Sounds good to me! I'll have to put my thinking cap on for my selection. :-)

CagneyDog
10-07-2005, 12:56 PM
just let me know, and, I'll put an asterisk (*) by your name. And, by the time it gets to your name, I'll ask again just to make sure you don't want to do it, and, if you don't, we'll just go to the next username.

I don't want to choose a book....
:)

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm don't want to choose a book....
:)

Ok, that's cool. I'm just glad to have so many people interested in the club! :)

Jadapit
10-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Sounds good to me also. I hope, hope our library here has it. If not maybe Walmart will. :)

slleipnir
10-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Cool, I have a lot of free time at work sometimes, so I think I'll pick it up today or tomorrow

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey, does anyone know a site where I can actually find how many pages the book has?

And, what do y'all think of the idea of allowing books on tape? I don't personally see a problem with it, but, wanted to know if y'all think that defeats the purpose of a book club? Just in case there are folks that want to participate, but, maybe can't because of sight problems, time restraints, etc...I don't know...just a thought...

slleipnir
10-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I think Amazon does..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316781487/103-7648352-6635020?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 01:10 PM
I think Amazon does..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316781487/103-7648352-6635020?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Thanks. And, DUH! I was just on there and totally didn't even scroll down the page! Thank you for reminding me to look further down. ;)

shutterbug0303
10-07-2005, 01:39 PM
I sure do hope books on tape/cd will be permitted! I "read" so many that way on my long commute to work every day :)

CamCamPup33
10-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm going to buy mine today. I'm excited! :p

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm going to buy mine today. I'm excited! :p

Me, too! Going to buy the book, and, being excited! :D

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 04:29 PM
bump

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Gotcha, I'll see what I can find! :D Have fun everyone!

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Gotcha, I'll see what I can find! :D Have fun everyone!

I'm sorry, but, whatcha talkin' about? ;) Never mind, I just saw where you wanted to join! :p :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Hehe, sorry! :)

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Bought my book tonight! Haven't started it, yet, because I went to see Serenity at the theater...great movie! Can't wait to start my book!

Cincy'sMom
10-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I just ordered my copy online. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here!

finn's mom
10-08-2005, 09:18 AM
I just ordered my copy online. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here!

Oh, man, I hope so, too! I got mine last night at Waldenbooks. My friend and I ended up getting five books. :rolleyes: I knew this would happen to me once I started reading again. I started the book this morning and read about 30 pages. It's good, so far. :)

flamepony12
10-08-2005, 09:22 AM
So when's the deadline to be done with the book? Sounds like a good choice, good job Judy! :)

finn's mom
10-08-2005, 09:25 AM
So when's the deadline to be done with the book? Sounds like a good choice, good job Judy! :)

It's in the "rules" thread, it'll be seven days (one full week) before the next month. This month, it's the 25th of October. That's when discussion will be open, and, a new book will be chosen for November. :)

lady_zana
10-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Yay! I got my copy from the local library! I can't wait until tonight when I get a chance to start it. This is going to be a lot of fun! :) :cool:

CagneyDog
10-08-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm half way through it now. Its pretty good :)

finn's mom
10-08-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm half way through it now. Its pretty good :)

Awesome! I'm probably going to finish my copy today. It's a pretty easy read so far. It was so funny, my friend and I ended up buying five books at the store. :rolleyes: So, I'll be busy even when I'm not reading the book of the month. I ordered Kurt Vonnegut's first book and bought a book written by Bill Murray (I LOVE him!) and the book, The Greatest Game Ever Played, that the film of the same name was based on. Great movie, so, I'm looking forward to the book. It's tiny print, though, and, over 400 pages, so, it'll be a time consuming one, I'm sure! It's good to be back into the pages of a book, though, I'm so glad so many of you guys are doing this with me. So, thank you to all of you!

finn's mom
10-08-2005, 05:00 PM
read chapters 1 - 6 (October 7 - 13)
read chapters 7 - 13 and discuss chapters 1 - 6 (October 14 - 20)
read chapters 14 - 19 and discuss chapters 7 - 13 (October 21 - 25)
discuss chapters 14 - 19 and book in it's entireity (October 25 - 31)

So, I guess we can do it this way, if everyone's up for that, instead of just reading the book and then discussing it from the 25th to 31st... So, we'll read the first six chapters this week, and, then discuss them starting the 14th til the 20th...and, then discuss the second seven chapters from the 21st to the 25th...then discuss the last six chapters and the entire book from the 25th to the 31st. Does that sound all right with everyone?

EDIT: Due to the shortened time we have this month, we may or may not do it this way. I know some folks haven't even been able to get the book, yet. For November, though, we'll choose the book no later than October 25th, and, that should give people plenty of time to get the book. We can always make the first reading week a bit of a light one, also, so, that it gives people a little extra time to read. I'm not saying 100% which way we're going to do it this month, but, if you'll read buckner's response in the other thread, for October, reading the whole book and discussing it during the last week may be the best bet. But, only for this month. If we had started this last month, we'd have already had the title chosen for two weeks, and, it would have given people more time to get the book...

I'll wait to decide once I hear a few other's opinions on this.

slleipnir
10-10-2005, 11:54 AM
I went to the bookstore and bought it. I should finish it really soon...:o It's pretty good, although there are things that annoy me a little about it (can't recall at the moment though haha)

Oh yeah..like how they keep jumping from the present to the past..

slleipnir
10-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Ok, so, I finished the book... :o it was pretty good, but I didn't care much for the ending....

finn's mom
10-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Ok, so, I finished the book... :o it was pretty good, but I didn't care much for the ending....

Don't say too much. ;) I'm going to pick it up and finish it probably today. It's a perfect day for it!

CamCamPup33
10-11-2005, 04:58 PM
This book is really good. I got it yesterday, and im almost through with it. I also don't like how its jumping from past to present. Other than that, i can't stop reading it. :p

finn's mom
10-11-2005, 05:02 PM
This book is really good. I got it yesterday, and im almost through with it. I also don't like how its jumping from past to present. Other than that, i can't stop reading it. :p

I don't like or dislike how it jumps around, but, I don't want to say too much! We can talk more about why y'all don't like that in the discussions, because I'm curious! I just finished it about thirty minutes ago...I'm so excited, because now I'm reading another book already. I knew this would be the motivation I needed to get back into reading! :)

slleipnir
10-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Don't say too much. ;) I'm going to pick it up and finish it probably today. It's a perfect day for it!

Don't worry, I won't go into any details. My tastes are usually different from other peoples anyway

finn's mom
10-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Don't worry, I won't go into any details. My tastes are usually different from other peoples anyway

I should hope so! I don't usually have the same tastes as many others...the going back and forth thing isn't necessarily something that I want in a book, but, it doesn't bother me, either. ;)

Oggyflute
10-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Going to search for it tomorrow. :)

kimboe
10-14-2005, 08:37 AM
I've gotten the book a couple a days ago ( was busy for the long weekend)
and i'm already almost half done the book.

Oggyflute
10-15-2005, 01:50 AM
I've picked up the book, and in all honesty, it probably would not have been one that I would have chosen. But the spirit of the book club is to read different authors, so I'm looking forward to the read. It certainly sparked Carole's interest though. :)

finn's mom
10-15-2005, 06:42 AM
But the spirit of the book club is to read different authors :)

Hey, Trev! You hit the nail on the head with that comment...I probably wouldn't have chosen it, either, but, it's a quick read, and, actually pretty good. It's not too girly, don't worry. ;) Parts of it are, but, overall, it's not. I hope you like it! I'm so glad so many are taking part in this!

Oggyflute
10-19-2005, 05:33 AM
I actually read it the same day. :) When are we to discuss it again?

finn's mom
10-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I actually read it the same day. :) When are we to discuss it again?

We're opening the discussion for it on the 25th in Pet Talk. It'll just be on this thread, so, that we don't have tons of threads opened. :) We may have the live chat going for this month, too, but out of the whole group, I only got a few responses on when it would be good to set it up, so, I don't know, there doesn't appear to be a ton of interest. So, it may only be a couple of people. We'll see if more people pm me with times and if more people sign up in the chat room. :)

finn's mom
10-22-2005, 09:49 AM
bumping this up. Please read the edited schedule for chat and live chat on the first post of this thread. :)

finn's mom
10-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Don't forget, we're opening discussion for the book tomorrow! :) Blech, I finished it so early, it's going to be hard remembering some of it. ;) Guess that's why it will be a good idea when we break November's book into chapters and weeks! :)

Logan
10-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Bought it Saturday and haven't even opened it yet! :o

Guess I will be comparing my reading to the reactions of others on this one!!! :o

CagneyDog
10-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Maybe the discussion should be on a seperate thread, I dont think many know that it is here.

I'll put in my thoughts later....I don't have time right now.

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Maybe the discussion should be on a seperate thread, I dont think many know that it is here.

I'll put in my thoughts later....I don't have time right now.

Well, crap, everyone said originally that there were too many threads. Hmph. I thought originally about making a separate thread, but, then thought everything concerning October's book should be in one thread...hmm...I wonder what the best course of action should be at this point. :D :p

CagneyDog
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite :o since i was one of the people saying their was too many threads, but now you have to search for where the discussion starts and someone asked me if it was posted yet and I directed them here.

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 11:36 AM
I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite :o since i was one of the people saying their was too many threads, but now you have to search for where the discussion starts and someone asked me if it was posted yet and I directed them here.

Gotcha. I thought originally it would make more sense. ;) You're not a hypocrite, you can change your mind. :) I'll post a new thread...thanks for bringing it to my attention! :)