PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Hamster advice?

*iluvskipper*
10-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi!! This is future vet and *iluvskipper*. We went to a local pet store and got a *male hamster* and a few days later found out it is a female that is pregnant! :confused: Um, do any of you have any advice? We"re excited and nervous and just not sure what to do... :confused: So just like what to feed her, and anything you guys know. Thanks for any help that comes!! :)

**~Chelsea and Kelly~**

*iluvskipper*
10-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Ok, we know we gotta give you guys some time but we sorta need info fast!!

Flatcoatluver
10-06-2005, 07:39 PM
did you post this in pet general??? they would probally know there

Jessika
10-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Well there is obviously no male in the cage with her, because IF you had a male and female together I would suggest removing the male because when a female hampster gives birth, the male immediately impregnates her again, lol.

Umm... really no advice to give... leave them in a quiet room that doesn't get a lot of traffic, DO NOT DISTURB THE MAMMA OR THE BABIES except for feeding, don't pick up or handle the babies... don't leave the cage in a drafty area... of course these are all obvious tips for owning a hampster in general not just a pregnant female or babies.

Oh when they get old enough you NEED to separate them, but that won't be for a few months. It's not wise to cage two adult hampsters in a cage together because they will fight. As babies they get along but as they get older they get terribly territorial.

CathyBogart
10-06-2005, 08:46 PM
First thing first - What species of hamster?

Kirbys Mom
10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
use to breed hamsters as a hobbie but anyway i had the same problem bought 2 females and one was pregant but anyway enough with my life story. Make sure the cage is clean and ready for the new babies give her some paper towel it will keep the babies warm. give her some extra food since she isn't just eating for herself but also all her babies. dont do anything to stress her out, try not to pick her up alot. but do give her some human contract. when she does have the babies dont touch them if she smells you on them she will eat them. and dont be worried if she does eat them its just a sign she isnt ready to be a mom or they are sick. in 2 weeks they will have hair and be movin around just like mom. OMG once my hamster had 4 babies and when they were 2 1/2 weeks they would run out of the tube and she would run out and collect one and bring it back then another one and more would come out and it was so funny watchin her get them back in the tube. but anyway when they are 3 wks they are weaned so you can leave the females in there with mom, but remove the males at once since they hit sexually maturiaty at 5wks and females hit it at 3-6 months. I had a problem with one of my hamsters she gave birth to 2 males and they got her pregnant before i could get them out of there. and if you cant tell the males from the females go on ask.com you will know, best of luck!