PDA

View Full Version : I'm never making homemade french fries ever again!!

king2005
10-06-2005, 04:43 PM
I just had a horrible scare & I'm crying & shaking. It blew up, oil is everywhere. it just missed me. little drips of oil got me.

I know water doesn't mix with oil & thats why I dried them. Why did it blow up??

just me
10-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Oil to hot???

Jessika
10-06-2005, 05:12 PM
The oil can become too hot and that's why it blew up??

I'm sorry you had that happen, though :(

Personally I NEVER go near the grease when my mom is making homemade fries, I will cut the fries but I will NOT put them in. It's NATURAL for the wet potatoes to cause the grease to bubble and pop and occasionally you'll get hit but I think in your case it was just SO hot that even the smallest amount of water caused it to react violently. :(

catnapper
10-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Oh MY!!! I'm glad you are ok. My mom bought my husband a fryer for Christmas.... now I'm afraid of it!!!

PJ's Mom
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
I just had a horrible scare & I'm crying & shaking. It blew up, oil is everywhere. it just missed me. little drips of oil got me.

I know water doesn't mix with oil & thats why I dried them. Why did it blow up??

I'm glad you're ok. Oil usually doesn't just blow up. Did you see smoke?

finn's mom
10-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Oh MY!!! I'm glad you are ok. My mom bought my husband a fryer for Christmas.... now I'm afraid of it!!!

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think she used an actual fryer...

king2005, I'm so glad you didn't get seriously injured! How scary that had to be! :(

LKPike
10-06-2005, 05:55 PM
ugggh, don't you just hate it when oil gets everywhere that has to be the worst mess to clean up - well a close second to puppy & newborn vomit!

glad your ok!! if you want we'll make you 100 of our homemade fries an send over there!!!

king2005
10-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I had the stove on setting 3. thats low, since 1 & 2 is simmer. I had it on med & it turned my tester blacker then coal. So I let it cool for 30 mins & put it on 3... it wasn't boiling but I could see the oil moving around. I tossed in a tester & it came out great. So I put a handfull on my ummm round thingy with holes, held the pot lid with one oven mit, tossed it in, dropped the lid, backed up & it exploded. The lid came off & the oil came out. Its on the wall, counters, in the drawers, on the floor, in the oven door, inside the stove (under the space there the elements sit), & under the oven. uggg...

My thumb is sore & slightly stiff. I got a larger drop on it but didn't notice it until it became quite sore. I have a drop sized burn on it, but I'll survive.

We decided to just leave the other fries in the freezer until we get the Deep Frier back. I've never had an issue with that & I know it makes great fries & wont blow up on me.

My dad is gonna be giving me an ear full tonight. He was really P'ed off that I used a pot. I need to learn to stop telling him bad things I do :rolleyes:

Thanks LKPike, I'll just buy more potatos at a later date. I'll be too costly to mail me homemade french fries :)

Laura's Babies
10-07-2005, 10:00 AM
You put a lid on it??? That is a NO NO! Those fryers with lids have air holes for the heat to escape. Air holes with filters.....

Never heat your oil over 400*, if the oil starts to smoke, it is way to hot and can burst into flames shortley. When it is smoking, the oil is breaking down and it is dangerous. Be sure you are using a temp gauge for deep frying.. You are lucky it didn't come out a whole lot worse.. Deep frying on the stove has set many houses on fire!

king2005
10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
I didn't see any smoke when it was just sitting in the pot. There was smoke when it exploded & poured onto the hot burner, but I turned the burner off right away. My thoat is all raw from the stinky fumes it made.

I used the lid to keep the splattering down, didn't know it was a problem.

Jessika
10-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Oh yeah lids are an absolute no-no! :(

I'd rather clean up a little grease splatter than burn my hand or risk getting hurt!

king2005
10-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm new to the whole, living on your own & cooking all the meals. I can bake & cook meats & veggies & thats about it.

Now I know what not to do with oil.

christa
10-07-2005, 02:05 PM
.. You are lucky it didn't come out a whole lot worse.. Deep frying on the stove has set many houses on fire!

I was about to say the same thing.

My mom is an insurance claims adjuster and she just has a case this past week where a guy was making fries and burnt their house completely down.

My advice, just don't FRY ANYTHING. It's really unhealthy anyway.

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Don't fret, I wouldn't have known that about the lid, either. I don't think I would have tried it all though, to be honest with you. I'm so glad that you are ok and that it didn't come out any worse. You are truly lucky to only have a sore thumb, and, angry dad, and, a oily mess. ;)

king2005
10-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm always watchfull while cooking, I never go out of eye sight. When I'm cooking with Oil (eggs) I always stand back, cause whenever I get a drop of hot oil on me it leaves scars cause my skin is so pail (darn skin).

I think I'm going to call the local fire department & see what I can do about getting 2 med ABC fire extingushiers (sp) from them.

I cannot afford to loose my things or my pets, due to a fire I could easly put out.

Craftlady
10-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I stry fry veggies but at a low/medium heat with tad of olive oil.
Frying is so unhealthy, I bake homemade french fries they come out yummy.

There was a story on news the other nite a fire in Cincinnati started in kitchen (women was frying fish) and burnt the partically the whole apartment complex down. 18 people are without a home, thankfully no one was injured. Lady said she wouldnt be cooking fish again on top of the stove.

king2005
10-07-2005, 03:20 PM
gosh, I was lucky. but atleast I don't have to worry about fish catching fire. cause the only fish coming into this house are pets or pet food :)

Anita Cholaine
10-07-2005, 04:05 PM
That's why frying oil scares me so much... I think I'll never make homemade french fries in my whole life! I don't like fried food very much, though.....
I'm glad you were lucky and didn't hurt seriously.....

moosmom
10-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Years ago when I was about 18, my parents went away for the weekend. My boyfriend and I decided to make fried dough. Same thing happened. The oil got WAY too hot and caught fire. Like an idiot, I took the pan and put it in the kitchen sink. ONE drop of water got in the pan and the flames shot up buring the kitchen curtains, the wall near the sink. I KNOW exactly what happened to you and the best way to put out a grease fire is with salt.

Glad your not hurt.

ChrisH
10-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Some kitchen safety advice.

The most common type of fire is caused by deep fat frying. 4,000 people are injured in these kinds of fires each year.

Think about what you're doing when you're deep frying. You're heating several pints of oil to extremely high temperatures. The oil can not only cause terrible burns, but it can go up in flames . In fact, it's an ideal fuel for a fire, and difficult to put out.

A few tips:

Never fill the pan more than one third full.
Dry food before putting it in (water can make the oil explode).
Test the temperature with a small piece of bread or potato. If it crisps quickly, the oil is hot enough.
If the oil starts to smoke don't put the food in. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
Don't ever leave the pan unattended.
If there are flames, never throw water over the pan. It will explode. See dealing with a fire in the kitchen.

The safest way to deep fry is to use a thermostat-controlled electric deep fat fryer. Its thermostat stops it from ever overheating

COOKING SAFETY: Dealing with a Fire in the Kitchen

The first rule is get out if you're not sure you can handle the fire. If it's spread from its starting point then it's almost certainly already too big.

But if a pan catches fire:
Don't move it (it could give you terrible burns).

Turn off the heat if it's safe to do so - but never lean over the pan to the controls.
Never throw water over it.

Run a cloth under the tap, wring it out carefully, and cover the flaming pan.

If you have a fire blanket, put it over the pan.

Don't use a fire extinguisher on a pan filled with oil.

Leave the pan to cool completely.

If you can't deal with the fire, close the door on the way out and call 999.

If it's an electrical fire:
Pull the plug out or switch off the power at the fusebox. This may stop the fire immediately.

Smother the fire with a fire blanket, or use a dry powder or carbon dioxide extinguisher.

Never use water on it.

Remember!
If in any doubt, get out. Things and buildings can be replaced but people can't.

All from:http://www.firekills.gov.uk/cooking/01.htm

p.s. I have cooking chips (french fries) for many, many years and have not had a problem - not yet anyway!

caseysmom
10-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I had my barbeque catch on fire before, I threw flour on to put it out...guess that was a mistake, it made it worse. I sense spoke with a fireman about it (a shameless excuse to talk to one) anyway he said to use baking soda, flour is a combustible. I now keep a huge costco size container of baking soda around for when I barbeque.

It was pretty scary I had flames coming out the sides that were about a foot high :eek:

Laura's Babies
10-08-2005, 02:56 PM
In my training to be certified, we had to learn about cooking in oil although we never used it is the cafeteria I worked at but I learned a LOT of important stuff about grease that I did not know.

It is a tricky thing if you do not know for SURE what you are doing but perfectly safe if you educate yourself on it. We have a deep fryer on the boat that I use a lot and I preach at the guys that NO ONE is to use it except for ME! Just like king2005 that started this thread, you have seen it done 100 times so you are sure you know how to do it.... seeing it done and KNOWING how it is done two different things... so I forbid them to use that deep fryer. The end result of one deckhand that only thinks he knows what he is doing could kill us all. It is the young one that scare me the most, they are the ones that know everything but only enough to get someone hurt.

My advice is if you have never had proper instructions on deep frying, DON'T TRY it... it could kill you.

carole
10-08-2005, 03:03 PM
You have had a very lucky escape, believe me the fumes and mess are nothing in comparison to how badly burn't you could have been,you may have missed my thread on my niece and her hubby who were burnt in a kitchen accident, in their case only a very small amount of oil was the culprit, and because they had a gas hobb and not ceramic top, a small amount of condensation of the lid spilt on the gas hobb and went on flames, anyway to cut a long story short my niece has third degree burns to her foot, I posted pics and would again, but it won't let me do it today, she has to have 2 months of work, a skin graft has been done, and it is not pretty.

I am just so glad you are ok, the result could have been devastating, if I were you I seriously would not use cooking oil again, or very little in my cooking, I use oven fries and low fat cooking spray, so the danger is minimal, I take extra care now after what happened to my niece as it can happen so easily.

I am sure you got a whale of a fright, and I am just relieved to hear you are ok, please take care .

king2005
10-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone.

The only good thing that came out of this is that I had to take the elements out & the pan thingy. I found so much muck down there, no wonder this place is infested with Cockroaches (we moved into this place & discoved the little buggers).

I think my dad talked to my uncle (his brother) because he hasn't yelled at me yet, nor has he even brought up the topic. I'm kinda glad cause I was upset enough & when dad gets going, it can get quite nasty. Its great advice but the yelling is going overboard.

I'm glad I'm ok & I'm glad it happened cause now so many others can learn from my error. I plan to let all my friends know & add it to my cooking/baking sectoin of my site.

Logan
10-08-2005, 10:21 PM
They make these "screens" to cover oily pots when frying, but they still allow air to move, which is necessary, obviously! You should look into one.

I'm so glad everything is ok.

Logan

ChrisH
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
p.s. I have cooking chips (french fries) for many, many years and have not had a problem - not yet anyway!
Okay, payback time. :o
Cooking chips today and what happened? I had the oil too hot causing it to boil over.. what a mess! :eek: Thankfully no fire or any injury.
I think someone up there just decided to teach me a little lesson for being so smug! :o

Husky_mom
10-13-2005, 03:12 PM
I just LOOOOVEEEE franch fries, and i HATE getting oil burns
but I canīt say i wonīt make them again, because i WILL STILL MAKE THEM I LOVE FRENCH FRIES NO MATTER WHAT.

carole
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Please please everyone handle cooking oil with extreme care, for those who missed my thread about my niece's burns to her foot, from just a small amount of cooking oil, I am going to post the pictures again to let you be fully aware of just how bad this can be, warning they are not for the light stomached, I only wish to do so, as I am really worried one of my PT friends will get hurt, one has to be extremely careful.

My advice is to limit how often you use cooking oil and turn to low fat options like cooking spray, far less chance of an accident happening.

king2005
10-13-2005, 11:30 PM
I finally got my Deep Frier back. I've been having french fries for 3 days now hehehe.. I even had fun with it & put in a Pizza Pop. It was yummy, but I wont be doing it again (too unhealthy hehe).. I even went & bought a new bag of potatos & made more fries for dinner hehehe.

I'm so HAPPY now that I can safely make fries. The deep Frier is a special safety one. Its extra deep & had a snapped on lid with a filter (hasn't been one in there for years, its a discontinued modle, so they are sold out).

Now I just have to filter the oil cause some of the potato skins have fallen off & burnt in the oil. SO it looks kinda gross in there, but smells good :D

K9karen
10-13-2005, 11:56 PM
I always had a problem what to do with the oil afterwards. I think I used to refrigerate it but it was too yukky to reuse.I'd rather have McDonalds do the work! :D

G535
10-14-2005, 12:36 AM
If I must eat fried food I'd rather buy it already cooked, burns are horrible and I also have my cat to think about. :)

king2005
10-14-2005, 01:05 AM
We've always just left the oil in the Deep Frier. When it look gross its filtered & reused. If it goes below the low line, then I just add more oil.