PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy for sale?

LKPike
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Anybody know where I can find Poison Ivy or something like it for sale??

Gonna plant it in between me and the neighbors fence. They wont stop throwing dead things in between the fences so I won't stop throwing bad, obnoxious, itchy plants over.

Karen
10-06-2005, 03:25 PM
You'd be better off with something like blackberry bushes, as poison ivy would migrate into your yard in short order, and the doggies would rub against it and you'd have the oil all over your house.

Have you spoken to the city, or your landlord? Someone owns that area, and should prevent them from dumping stuff there.

LKPike
10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
grybai - ooooh I'm doing it alright. they've had it coming for a very long time.

Karen - we also thought about blackberry bush, to fill the gap between the fences. the thing is that we have a privacy fence on that side - they have old chain link. theres already 1 bush out there, thats taking over their fence and growing out.

mostly whatever we throw over will probably take over their yard (they never do regular yard maintence). PI would be good since they have kids (their just as guilty.)

theres nobody we can call, all we do is videotape or take pics of the obvious things they do. and wait for the day they do something to make me call police again.

Scooby4
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Poison Ivy or other plants growing on or against a wood fence will rot it out quicker and make it unstable. It isn't a good idea to have any plants growing on structures as it causes damage to the structures. Even those brick houses with Ivy all over them have serious issues with plant damages.
I had an issue with my neighbor forcing me to put up a privacy fence between us. He threatened to take away my dogs!!! His were the one's barking and causing the problems. He'd even stolen part of my land and his dogs were on it!!!
Your best bet is maybe grow a hedgerow of maybe Holly Bushes or a short evergreen plants. Why make it more ugly to look at for yourself? Have you thought about fruit trees? The fruits would fall over on their side ALOT causing a "mess". A good flowering tree/bush for the allergies is a good irratator!!! :cool: ;)

elizabethann
10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
I like the fruit tree idea or the flowering tree. Apple trees have nice flowers that eventually fall to the ground...making a mess.

It's a shame you have such sucky neighbors. I use to know exactly how you feel.

Good luck.

Karen
10-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Poison Ivy is a considered an "invasive" species, so probably illegal to order anyway. What part of the country are you in? It is quick to spread, can climb and kill even large healthy trees and is difficult to get rid of.

[I was wrong about it being imported - musta been a myth I heard. It is native to parts of North America)/

dukedogsmom
10-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I've got poison oak in our woods. It spreads like crazy, though. Too bad you just can't nuke the horrible neighbors. I know you've been throgh way too much with them.

Scooby4
10-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Karen there is such a plant that was imported to the United States from Japan. It is an "Ivy" type plant. I forgot the name of it (Japanese ????Kudzu?). It was brought over for some kind of "weed control" or other similar property. It is NOT poisonous.
However, something went seriously wrong. The plant outgrew it's containment and is OUT of control. It takes over EVERYTHING and is nearly impossible to kill. You will see it pretty prevalent on the side of the road here in the South. It is spreading soo fast that nothing can be done. Entire forrested areas are covered in it choking the other plants and killing them. :(
I wouldn't recommend planting this stuff. It is a nightmare and may be illegal now to plant in other states. Certain plants are restricted believe it or not.

Karen
10-07-2005, 08:59 AM
It is kudzu. People often don't think about consequences when they introduce non-native plant species. I know Florida also spends tons of money every year clearing water hyacinth out of canals and waterways it otherwise chokes to unnavigability, destroying animal habitats and native plants as well.

LKPike
10-07-2005, 09:50 AM
theres one area of east tennessee that was nothing but kudzu it seemed. I haven't been there in years but would be interesting to know if they did anything.

my mom told me she has some pi in her yard :D I told her we'd be more than happy to take care of it for her. planting it next to their fence that faces woods, instead of next to ours.

lv4dogs
10-07-2005, 11:45 AM
planting it next to their fence that faces woods, instead of next to ours.

Like others have mentioned pi grows fast & spreads all over. If you plant it near you at all it will come into your yard.

If they throw things in that area then they probably don't step there do they? So what good would PI or a pricker bush do anyways?

I'd just report them. Dumping is illegal.

jackie
10-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Wouldn't doing something like that just create more tension with your neighbor? Sorry, it does not sound like a good idea.

I have a INSANE neighbor as well, this summer I had two operations on my knee, so walking the dogs was a huge problem. I couple of times I took them out without a leash, and she went crazy, even knowing the reason why they were leash-less From that day on I have just ignored her. She just got more and more irate to the point she came up to me when my family was on holiday and started screaming how she was going to report me, then went door to door trying to get me kicked out of the complex. I told my boyfriend what had happened, he want calmly to the door, spoke to her husband and told him if his wife ever came up to me again, I would got to the police station report her, and the next step would be getting a restraining order. One of my other neighbors backed me up, and she realized she could have a big problem on her hand. I could have done horrible things to her ,they only use their bungalow as a weekend home, so I would have all week to post prawns and cockroaches through the mailbox. But at the end of the day being calm and rational worked much better.

LKPike
10-07-2005, 07:45 PM
But at the end of the day being calm and rational worked much better.

sorry, after we went through about 800$ worth of vet bills thanks to them, and after we spent 1400$ for a new chainlink fence to keep our puppers safe, they began throwing trash, dead birds & etc, over the fence - causing us to spend an additional 1800$ for a privacy fence on one side of the yard. that still didn't stop her and her kids from screaming 4 letter obscenities and harrassing us when we go into our front yard.

currently they are claiming my husband hit their fence causing major damage. yet theres no dent or scratch on his vehicle and I did not, neither did any other neighbor, hear or see the huge bang and drag sound that simple *bleep* says she heard. She also didn't call police, which is what any other person would do if it'd actually happened to them.

I'm PIing their yard.

In addition to calling police and filing a report if they continue to hound my husband about the fence.

Lady's Human
10-07-2005, 08:04 PM
LK, in doing so you could be opening up a can of legal problems for yourself. Think twice before doing this.

jackie
10-08-2005, 11:04 AM
^ I agree one hundred percent. Have you gone to the police? I hope you can solve the problem. :(

shais_mom
10-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I seriously can not believe this thread has made it thus far.
This is one of the most immature things I have seen in a long time.
w:eek:w
To do this you are stooping to lower then their level b/c you run the risk of putting yourself and your animals and anyone who visits you MAJOR discomfort. It's one thing if you and your 'spouse' do it to yourself but to subject your animals to it is unbelievable. It sounds like this idiots are major White Trash and I highly doubt poison ivy would deter them. They would probably start throwing things into your front yard.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-10-2005, 02:13 AM
planting it next to their fence that faces woods, instead of next to ours.

I can sympathise re the bad neighbours, but I have a HUGE problem with anyone deliberatly planting an INVASIVE species - and it's made even worse by the fact that you are planning to plant it close to the WOODS? Why would you knowingly endanger a natural habitat? :confused:

Vette
10-10-2005, 04:32 AM
Are there different types of Poison Ivy plants?
cuz we got something on our property that looks sorta like a firn,, but it causes you itch and break out in welts on any parts of bare skin that comes in contact with it.

i wish you the best of luck with your butthole neighbors though.

we dont have any kind of problem like that with ours. we just have a nosey one,, that calls us up asking if our cat made it out the tree alright.. and then she starts yammering on about hearing things from our property(we target pratice) and i guess she was wondering what all the shooting was about.. so she just made up a story about our cat being stuck in a tree. :rolleyes:

Karen
10-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Are there different types of Poison Ivy plants?
cuz we got something on our property that looks sorta like a firn,, but it causes you itch and break out in welts on any parts of bare skin that comes in contact with it.

Poison ivy comes in two forms, poison ivy and poison oak. They are the same plant, just takes of a different appearance like a shrub when it's different terrain. Neither look like a fern.

What you have is probably poison sumac - does it look like this?

http://jaxmed.com/articles/Diseases/p_sumac.jpg

shais_mom
10-11-2005, 12:14 AM
I got your PM - I understand front yard/back yard perfectly.
Is there any way you can call the Health Dept? Or Animal Control? I watched on Animal cops the other day they gave the people less then a week to clean up their yard.

That's so funny you post that pic of the Sumac Karen. We have a clearing out behind our hospital and a ton of that grows there and my boss wanted it so bad b/c she thought it was sooo pretty.
lol

Karen
10-11-2005, 07:52 PM
I got your PM - I understand front yard/back yard perfectly.
Is there any way you can call the Health Dept? Or Animal Control? I watched on Animal cops the other day they gave the people less then a week to clean up their yard.

That's so funny you post that pic of the Sumac Karen. We have a clearing out behind our hospital and a ton of that grows there and my boss wanted it so bad b/c she thought it was sooo pretty.
lol

Read her this:

Poison Sumac oils (called urushiol) cause allergic skin reactions in nearly 85%
of people exposed to the plant. Symptoms can begin within a few hours after contact, or can arise between 2 to 5 days later. The rash of poison sumac typically occurs between 24 to 48 hours after contact. Each individual may experience symptoms differently; the following are the most frequent
symptoms of poison sumac:

Rash in the form of blisters (sometimes in a line)
Blisters can eventually break open, ooze, and then dry or crust over
Swelling in the area of contact
Red blotches that can be raised or flat
Intense itching

or send her to ivystat.com (http://www.ivystat.com/poison-sumac-symptoms.htm) where I copied that from for more!

Vette
10-12-2005, 04:17 AM
Karen,, sorta like that. but its only one stem. not a bush looking thingy.

Karen
10-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Given time, it will become a bushy- looking thing, they start with one long stem.

poisonivysales
08-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Hello,

To anyone that was still wondering: We sell Poison Ivy in safe shipping containers that comes in half square foot cuttings of the shrub variety.

To check us out please go to our website at http://www.poisonivysales.com

http://www.poisonivysales.com

Thanks! If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at
[email protected]

pomtzu
08-18-2011, 06:16 AM
I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would spend their hard-earned money to buy poison ivy. And just when I thought I had heard it all.....:rolleyes::eek:

Freedom
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
LOL this whole thread is from 2005~!

I read through the whole idiotic thing before I realized. :rolleyes:

pomtzu
08-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Check out the post from yesterday, Sandie.

shais_mom
08-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I know talk about BLAST from the PAST!

shais_mom
08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
all I can say is you had to be around for the opening poster. and it would make perfect sense for them!

sasvermont
08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I read this not noticing that it was so old. What a waste.

I hope things worked out for these folks. The idea of planting poison ivy makes me cringe. Bad neighbors are just that BAD. I would never think to do such a thing. Wonder where their heads were to come up with such an evil idea.

Here's to good neighbors.;)

pomtzu
08-18-2011, 12:13 PM
all I can say is you had to be around for the opening poster. and it would make perfect sense for them!

LOL - yes - I read the whole thread and got the impression that I should be glad that I'm not her neighbor! :rolleyes::p:D

What I found amusing, was the post from yesterday, advertising this person's web site where you can actually buy it. I wouldn't imagine that he's raking in the big bucks.

And why would anyone buy it - unless of course you might be a botanist or a student doing a thesis on PI. :p

shais_mom
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
i thought the same thing - WHO would BUY it?

poisonivysales
08-18-2011, 12:31 PM
There is no intention to rake in big bucks for the company. But I am not sure if you noticed but no one sells Poison Ivy online so we figured why not sell it since some people do not know how to get it or what it looks like. http://www.poisonivysales.com

Although we really do not want anyone planting this to hurt anyone it can be used for many medicinal purposes along with some studies showing it can remove tattoos instead of using laser removal which just causes the body to absorb it. Cadavers have been shown to have ink deposits in their lymph nodes after they died when getting laser tattoo removal.

Anyway, I just wanted to show that there is in fact a service that sells Poison Ivy online. Our main source of income is multimedia conversion to DVDs and CDs which can be found at http://www.tunetransfers.com in case you are interested to see what we spend the majority of our time doing.

http://www.tunetransfers.com

shais_mom
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
There is no intention to rake in big bucks for the company. But I am not sure if you noticed but no one sells Poison Ivy online so we figured why not sell it since some people do not know how to get it or what it looks like. http://www.poisonivysales.com

Although we really do not want anyone planting this to hurt anyone it can be used for many medicinal purposes along with some studies showing it can remove tattoos instead of using laser removal which just causes the body to absorb it. Cadavers have been shown to have ink deposits in their lymph nodes after they died when getting laser tattoo removal.

Anyway, I just wanted to show that there is in fact a service that sells Poison Ivy online. Our main source of income is multimedia conversion to DVDs and CDs which can be found at http://www.tunetransfers.com in case you are interested to see what we spend the majority of our time doing.

http://www.tunetransfers.com

interesting!

aTailOf2Kitties
08-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm sure there is some in the woods behind my house. Come get all you want... FREE :D

pomtzu
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, but do you really sell much of it??? :eek: I can see how it might work to get rid of a tattoo tho - rub it on - scratch the itch till you blister - then when the skin gets crusty and this mess dries up and in turn falls off - it takes the ink of the tattoo with it. Am I close??? :D

Seriously - I've never heard of this and I'm wondering how it works. :confused:

mrspunkysmom
08-18-2011, 06:18 PM

Same here.

All this to get a free AD? Karen should bill the poster. JMHO

Edit: I went to the site.

Found his home site where the subsite is.

http://www.tunetransfers.com/Home.shtml

Question for Karen. This is in the Dog House. So how did he find that post? That post is 6 years old. There were people I didn't even recognize.

Karen
08-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I allowed the person to post, read it before any of you saw it, just because it is relevant to the initial thread, and answers the original poster's question, and you never know if someone might find Pet Talk by Googling that. This person obviously did, and maybe others will.

I would never buy the stuff, but some people obviously do!

And any acid or base substance can be corrosive, it's such a nasty oil I wouldn't be surprised if it would removed certain tattoo inks, but know it doesn't remove freckles! I don't actually"get" poison ivy - of all the allergies I have, that isn't one - but have seen others deal with it.

pomtzu
08-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Just a bit of useless info if anyone is interested:

Since I didn't get any answer from poisonivysales about tattoo removal, thought I'd check the good old internet to see what I might find, and just as I figured, I found next to nothing. Only saw a couple of vague comments from a couple of people who said they heard that this works - nothing more. There is no data (that I could find), to support this claim - no instruction on how to do it, etc. Laser removal seems to be the only sure and relatively safe way. There were fade creams listed (don't work), and some rather barbaric and very painful home remedies too, and many pictures of people with horrible burns and/or scaring that attempted some of these home remedies.

Guess the best solution is; don't get a tattoo to start with if you aren't going to love it and want to keep it for life! :eek:

Marigold2
08-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Video camara. That is what I would do. And document, document, document. Then take the tapes to the police. Let the police help you with this. Perhaps these creeps have outstanding warrents, maybe parking tickets, maybe drug use, child welfare.
I think that most creeps like this have other issues that can be addressed by the police so let them handle it.
I would make them so uncomforable that they have to move. Several police visits usually do the trick.

shais_mom
08-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Video camara. That is what I would do. And document, document, document. Then take the tapes to the police. Let the police help you with this. Perhaps these creeps have outstanding warrents, maybe parking tickets, maybe drug use, child welfare.
I think that most creeps like this have other issues that can be addressed by the police so let them handle it.
I would make them so uncomforable that they have to move. Several police visits usually do the trick.

**thread is 7 years old** OP is LONG GONE.

Taz_Zoee
09-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Just a bit of useless info if anyone is interested:

Since I didn't get any answer from poisonivysales about tattoo removal, thought I'd check the good old internet to see what I might find, and just as I figured, I found next to nothing. Only saw a couple of vague comments from a couple of people who said they heard that this works - nothing more. There is no data (that I could find), to support this claim - no instruction on how to do it, etc. Laser removal seems to be the only sure and relatively safe way. There were fade creams listed (don't work), and some rather barbaric and very painful home remedies too, and many pictures of people with horrible burns and/or scaring that attempted some of these home remedies.

Guess the best solution is; don't get a tattoo to start with if you aren't going to love it and want to keep it for life! :eek:

I have a friend that removed his tats with sandpaper. OUCH!! The scarring isn't too bad either. This was before there was laser removal.