PDA

View Full Version : any tips for catching a stray?

Goochina & Goochissimo
03-19-2002, 02:45 PM
I mentioned the stray cat had kitties in my yard ...

Well, this seems to be an ongoing saga. She is always having kittens. I've tried everything to catch her because I'd like to take her to the SPCA -- or at least get her fixed before letting her loose again. But this is definitely an alley cat. She doesn't trust people, and won't let you get near her no matter what. I've fed her and tried to slowly warm her up to me, but she won't have it!!!

She keeps having litters of kittens, and by the time they are weaned they are impossible to catch too! Any suggestions? I'm clueless --- my cat Delilah is 100% housecat. She WILL NOT leave the house for any reason, and you'd have an easier time giving her a bubble bath than carrying her out that door -- not sure why she's agoraphobic. :p

yumyum6970
03-19-2002, 03:40 PM
I agree with the trap. My office manager caught her cats that way and they have been pets ever since..She has 5 of them.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

K & L
03-19-2002, 03:47 PM
Yes, you need to get a humane trap. Also check the site http://www.alleycat.org they give great instructions on how to do this. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

sasvermont
03-19-2002, 05:43 PM
I actually bought a trap for catching strays....Have a Heart was the brand. I had spent a few days a couple of years ago catching barn cats and having them taken care of at the local Vet/Clinic. I used their traps for that episode but decided I would like to have my own. Don't remember the price, but I think it was around 45.00. It can be used to catch other animals if you need to, but I haven't been able to catch a MAN with it quite yet!:o

AvaJoy
03-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
I actually bought a trap for catching strays.... It can be used to catch other animals if you need to, but I haven't been able to catch a MAN with it quite yet!:o

. . . try baiting it with a Hungry Man Dinner, a recliner, a TV (don't forget the remote) and you'll have them lining up . . . ;) :cool: :p :D

04-04-2002, 02:29 AM
fun !!!
I had a good laugh after reading your statement : that you did not catch a man yet .....:D :D :D

David_M
04-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Well, I don't think I have any really great tips. One thing happened though that was very interesting.

When I was little, and playing with my sister and two friends, we decided that my family should have a cat. At this time, strays were very popular amongst the neighboorhood and a bunch came in our backyard. So, we waited for a while until a black and white one stray came. We ran to get it, but it got scared and ran away. Being dissapointed, we waited until another cat came, this one orange. We went up to it, this time quietly, and were able to pet it. Soon, my friends left, and I had to go with my mom to pick up my brother. I cried as I reluctantly left the cat, having no hope of ever seeing it again. But when I came back, there it was! Right where I left it. My older brother and sister named it, which I thought I should've since I found it. They named it Whiskers. Whiskers stayed with us until for a year and a half, but sadly got hit by a car in fog and was killed. :(

treybabe
04-14-2002, 11:19 AM
:confused: I can certainly relate, but don't have a clue as to how to catch one. We are feeding a stray. Left town for two months and when we got home thought Racoons were the only ones eating the cat food we left out every night. She/he lives in the woods and is really feral. Last night I could see out the window that it was the cat eating, but the slightest noise and he/she disappears. Keep us all posted as to what transpires. The trap the others mention sounds the way to go. Wouldn't try to just catch the cat with your hands.