PDA

View Full Version : Herbert

PJ's Mom
10-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Most of you know we have 2 guinea pigs...Wilbur and Herbert.

Herbert is almost 5 years old and has started acting very lethargic today. He didn't eat his carrot and isn't interested in drinkng water. Due to his age, I'm afraid Herbert has reached the end of his life and is ready to go to the RB soon. :( He belongs to my daughter and she's devastated. He was her first pet, and she's had him since he was a baby. I'm horribly allergic to him, so I can't really spend much time looking at him, but on the outside, he really appears to be healthy.

If anyone knows anything that I might be able to do to help him, or at the very least, make him more comfortable, please let me know.

Thanks. :(

wolfie
10-05-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear Herbert isn't doing well. :(

This site is very good, here's a page on health:
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/ailments.html

It says to keep a sick piggie warm, with extra hay to insulate him.

Maybe if your daughter pet him he would be happy. Or if he doesn't like being pet, then maybe just talking to him for a while. I hope he does okay.

PJ's Mom
10-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks, Wolfie. :)

PJ's Mom
10-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Herbert made it through the night although he hasn't eaten and has barely moved.

My allergies are really bad, but I'm hoping that with enough pills, I'll be able to spend some time with him today. My daughter works until 6 and I promised her he wouldn't be alone today.

:(

just me
10-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Sending well wishes and good thoughts to Herbert today.
I hope he gets well. Keep us posted.

lvpets2002
10-06-2005, 10:27 AM
:( Oh Dawn I hate to hear this about your Herbert.. I dont know anything about hampsters or how long their life span is.. Did you call the vet yet? Me & my girls send lots of whisker prayers & ((((((( Hugs )))))))

Scooby4
10-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Have you allowed the Guinea pig to eat any fresh grasses? I would allow my guinea pig to go outside and eat fresh grass. Just make sure the grass hasn't been treated or exposed to chemicals. The grass may make him feel better.
I've heard that carrots may not always be the "best food" for guinea pigs. You may want to change his diet a little. I gave leafy lettuce to mine. Does he have a salt lick? Increase the sodium in his diet as well. Small animals need more sodium in their diets. Check his teeth for length issues. They could be too long causing issues with chewing. Especially at his age. The vet may have to "trim" them. This is typical with Hamsters if they don't have something to chew on.
Guinea pigs can live from atleast 5 -7 years of age. So he may be on his later end of life. This may be a good time to explain the "death" process to your children. Give them time to accept and understand it if it occurs soon. Make some funeral plans and talk about it.
I would like to suggest a product called "Allerpet". It comes in a spray bottle at the pet store. It is designed to spray on animals to reduce people's allergies to them. It cuts down the "dander" which is the real cause of allergic reactions NOT the hair. You may want to apply some to Herbert before handling him. Especially, after he expires. You may be the one who is the "funeral director". You don't want to have a reaction then at such a somber time. I've used and seen this product work pretty good with kittens. Good luck!

wolfie
10-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I hope Herbert is doing okay today.

I've heard that carrots may not always be the "best food" for guinea pigs. You may want to change his diet a little. I gave leafy lettuce to mine.
Really? I've never heard that. Mine love carrots.

Scooby4
10-07-2005, 08:45 AM
I was shocked too to find out Carrots may not be good for guinea pigs. Someone posted it here. They gave a really good explanation that made sense. It's kind of like "junk food" but with nutrients not overly good for the guinea pig. They can eat carrots but it can be "overdone". Kind of like eating Ice Cream and being lactose intollerant. ;) You can eat it but you may not feel well afterward. :rolleyes: :cool:
Just use carrots and other fresh greens as a "snack" and NOT a food source. There could be some simonela attached to some of the greens causing serious health issues. Make sure it is washed well before giving to the pet!

PJ's Mom
10-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Herbert went to the RB last night.

PJ's Mom
10-07-2005, 11:25 AM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=90275

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 02:51 PM
So sorry. I just saw this now. :(