PDA

View Full Version : Talk About Luck!

K & L
10-05-2005, 09:26 PM
There’s a black mom cat and 3 older black kittens at the park. Last night we decided to drop-trap them and get them fixed. We get the trap setup and mom and only 2 kittens come running up. We wait for a bit to see if the 3rd will show, but didn’t. They were a little wary, but eventually went under the drop trap. We decided to go for what we had in the trap before they ate their fill and we might miss out on them. We successfully got them and proceeded to wait another ½ to 1 hour for the other one, which finally showed. Unfortunately it wouldn’t go near the drop trap so we finally gave up and went home. I decided to try for the last remaining one in a regular trap this evening since, even though the others would be ear-tipped, it would be hard to tell which one we didn’t get from afar and would have to most likely trap all of them again. I just brought the regular humane trap and set it up. There he was waiting to be fed. Kevin left to feed the others in the other area as I waited. The little guy/girl went in the trap but it didn’t trip! I slowly walked up (keep in mind I have it covered with a towel) and the cat didn’t see nor hear me. I quickly slammed the trap door down and caught him! Whewwww one whole family now TNR’d, well this one will be tomorrow! We did end up trapping a 4th cat that had not been TNR'd!

BTW..we ended up with 1 female (mom) 1 adult male, and 2 male kittens. I will be curious to see what this other one turns out to be.

QueenScoopalot
10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!Good job! I just got wind of a local nightmare around here, and 2 nights ago went to invesigate. It looked like a Steven King nightmare with all the look-a-like black & whites, mingled with one or two calicos, and tabby/ whites. I managed to net 6 tinies (8 weeks) and had to call it quits and get home to the 'doo-dees' waiting. 5 out of six are girls! :eek: And two more obvious girls (red patch tabbies) still out there. The words out though, and hopefully this mess will be controlled in the course of a week or so..but I suspect kittens will be coming out of the woods for weeks to come. :rolleyes: I dread to think of how many coyotes have picked off...but survival of the fittest I guess. Sure wish I had a video camera of alllll the bl/ white cats! :eek: All black have to be the worst though lol! ;)

Laura's Babies
10-05-2005, 09:55 PM
QSL, you still at it! Thank God there are people like the both of you to do this, but the world needs a whole lot more to do what you are doing.

My problem would be that I would want to keep them all! :rolleyes:

Soapets
10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Great job on getting these kitties taken care of. Let us know more about the last one......

Deb

jenluckenbach
10-06-2005, 05:05 AM
I am glad you were able to get them all with such ease.

Randi
10-06-2005, 07:46 AM
What a great job! I'm glad you got them all in one go. :)

catmandu
10-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Thank God,there are people that will help these poor Little Starry Cats,but as my friends,at the Animal welfare tell me ,the Starry catskeep on coming.
There has to be a way,that people can be held responsible,for thier Pets.
A Society,will not work,if there is no responsibility.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1084.jpg

K & L
10-06-2005, 09:28 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!Good job! I just got wind of a local nightmare around here, and 2 nights ago went to invesigate. It looked like a Steven King nightmare with all the look-a-like black & whites, mingled with one or two calicos, and tabby/ whites. I managed to net 6 tinies (8 weeks) and had to call it quits and get home to the 'doo-dees' waiting. 5 out of six are girls! :eek: And two more obvious girls (red patch tabbies) still out there. The words out though, and hopefully this mess will be controlled in the course of a week or so..but I suspect kittens will be coming out of the woods for weeks to come. :rolleyes: I dread to think of how many coyotes have picked off...but survival of the fittest I guess. Sure wish I had a video camera of alllll the bl/ white cats! :eek: All black have to be the worst though lol! ;)

It's never ending! We use to have mostly calico's at the park, then it turned to orange & whites, now it's blacks and they are the hardest to determine if they've already been trapped. Since they're so dark, and we trap after sunset, it's hard to see their ear-tip unless they're already in the trap. Luckily we won't have to worry about this bunch.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Way to go, Lisa!!!

Good thing they tip their ears though, or you'd never be able to figure out who's who! :eek:

QueenScoopalot
10-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Trapping black cats at night is the worst lol! All those dark shadows lurking in the dark that you sit and stare at...and they turn out to be just that...shadows. :rolleyes: I call them hallucination cats. :D

K & L
10-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Trapping black cats at night is the worst lol! All those dark shadows lurking in the dark that you sit and stare at...and they turn out to be just that...shadows. :rolleyes: I call them hallucination cats. :D

The funny things is at first I caught a black chicken! :D Thought I had the cat! Turns out this last one is male also!!

just me
10-06-2005, 12:42 PM
:D Tipping my hat to you. ;)
GOOD JOB!

Catsnclay
10-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Lisa-

This last bunch sounded like they were a little domisticated - were they? I mean you being able to just sneak up on a cat??? You must be getting REALLY good at this traping thing, girl!!!

Way to go!!

K & L
10-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Lisa-

This last bunch sounded like they were a little domisticated - were they? I mean you being able to just sneak up on a cat??? You must be getting REALLY good at this traping thing, girl!!!

Way to go!!
Not domesticated at all. The reason I was able to do this is I had a towel draped over the trap and the cat couldn't see me walk up. I was afraid it would hear me, but I lucked out. It was too engrossed in eating the tuna! :D

momcat
10-06-2005, 03:56 PM
What can I say, Lisa? I strongly believe in TNR for those feral kitties and you'll never know how deeply I respect your efforts! Congrats and bless you on your latest success story. Thank you, thank you, thank you from your friend Groucho too.....

slick
10-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Way to go Lisa!!! :) I so admire you for the work you do for these furry critters. I really want to make my way down there some day to meet you and see first-hand the labour of love.

krazyaboutkatz
10-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Lisa,I'm so glad to hear that you were able to trap all of the black kittens and cats. You and Kevin are doing wonderful TNR work. :D

CalliesMom
10-07-2005, 03:07 AM
great job!! :)

K & L
10-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Way to go Lisa!!! :) I so admire you for the work you do for these furry critters. I really want to make my way down there some day to meet you and see first-hand the labour of love.

I would LOVE it if you could make it here! Let me know if the opportunity ever arises!

BTW..the little guy had to endure more than normal. His one testicle was imbedded in muscle so took a little more stitches than normal. He was treated for ear mites, given a shot of antibiotics, and given his first set of shots. He'll probably never get anymore, but at least he had these. He's doing very well this morning and has eaten like a pig. Vet gave the OK to release. All others were back at their normal feeding spot last night. He'll get to join them this evening.