PDA

View Full Version : Micro Chip problem

Dixieland Dancer
03-19-2002, 02:04 PM
I got a letter from Pettrac/ AVID yesterday that has me a bit freaked out. Apparently on 3/10/02 a change was made to my Dixie's registration. All the information was correct except she now belongs to someone in Florida that I never met or heard of! :eek:

I called AVID and they agreed something isn't right and made the changes to correct the problem. They don't know what though and are surmising that this person in Florida has a registration number close enough to mine that a typo may of occured. That is why they send out the confirmation notices when there is a change.

This did not reassure me though. It is too easy to call and have them change this info. They didn't know I was her rightful owner but because I was a little upset (putting it mildly) they changed the information. All they asked for was the membership number which anyone can figure out if they have an avid chip.

I'm glad it's taken care of now but I really was worried that someone had done this intentionally. WHEW! I was really scared!

RachelJ
03-19-2002, 02:31 PM
When I read the title of your topic, I was a little scared to look. Hannah goes in to get her AVID chip tonight and I thought this might be some info about them causing some medical problem.

I'm *doing an Aly*...worrying about if this is going to hurt her, etc.

Dixieland Dancer
03-19-2002, 02:44 PM
No pain in getting the chip but make sure the info is correct!

Logan
03-19-2002, 03:04 PM
It won't hurt her, Rachel!! She'll be just fine. I know Hannah is smaller than our Goldens, but she probably won't even flinch. Honey and Lilly certainly didn't.

And Dixie, that is scary!! I'm so glad they sent the notice to you to double check! The way our vet reports into Avid is by fax.....so maybe it was misread by the person on the receiving end. I sure hope that is all it was!! Besides, you know, it sounds like Dixie is one of those velcro dogs, so she won't be straying far from you, I'm sure!!! :D

Kfamr
03-19-2002, 04:08 PM
Hehe... i live in Florida.. shes mine!!!!!!!:p

tatsxxx11
03-19-2002, 04:46 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Just had my Oliver chipped last week through Avid! How disturbing, Candace!!! I hope this is just a rare, isolated case; though of course, scary for you! I'm so glad the error was "picked up!" I just might do a test call to check if their records are correct! Don't worry little Hannah! It's over in a sec.! Actually, I'm more worried for your Mom!!!:D;)

RachelJ
03-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Don't worry little Hannah! It's over in a sec.! Actually, I'm more worried for your Mom!!!:D;)

Sandra you had it nailed as usual. The doctor showed me the needle, a huge one. He said that he could do it with no medication, with novacain (which in and of itself would sting) or to put her out for 5 minutes. He said some dogs whine and some (like the labs) don't even seem to sense what was going on. Hannah has a lot of skin (like a lab) and usually doesn't have any problems getting her shots so I said lets go without anything. The vet tech had some Snausages and we talked about how she liked her Snausages. Her eyes got a little wide, but not a squeek out of her. I couldn't believe it was over. My little Lab.:D

I've got a question though. They gave me a disk to put on her collar with the NUMBER on it. I would think the number should only be known by the owner, otherwise what would prevent anyone from calling in to make a *change* in registration. I haven't read the literature yet, maybe that will explain it.

tatsxxx11
03-19-2002, 06:07 PM
That needle WAS BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: I have seen many in my work over the years, and that one made even MY eyes bug out! They did put some local novacaine on Oliver's nape after they shaved the area. That seemed to help. He didn't whince once! I did though!!!! Good job, Hannah Banana!!:D Nothing phases that dynamo of a girl!:) Gee, I never thought about that, the tag with the number on it!! I better go do some reading too~ Then again, I know that to claim your pet, you have to verify all the other personal info. on the form. Hmmmmmm. Need to investigate this further! Welcome home girls!:)

Dixieland Dancer
03-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Your registration number and the dogs identity number are different. The identity number the dog wears is to let people know the dog is chipped and the owners can be found through the national database.

The owners registration number is what was used to access Dixie's information which is why I was so scared. No one but me and Avid should know that number. I don't know how someone in Florida showed up with my registration number. All of Dixie's information was correct. It was just who owned her! :eek:

Murphys Dad
03-20-2002, 03:34 PM
We had Murphy chipped. About 6 months later, I felt something hard just under his skin on his upper fore leg. It was about the size of a grain of rice. Sure enough, the chip had moved. It seems that his walking harness sits right where he was chipped and broke it loose. He has since been rechipped and the old one has not been removed since it doesn't pose any problems.

RachelJ
03-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
Your registration number and the dogs identity number are different. The identity number the dog wears is to let people know the dog is chipped and the owners can be found through the national database.

The owners registration number is what was used to access Dixie's information which is why I was so scared. No one but me and Avid should know that number.

I only know the one number...the one on the tag and that is the number I sent in to register her. Do they send back the registration number back to me after they get my form and check?

I worried about the capsule moving so when I give her her massage, I am avoiding that area.

delidog
03-20-2002, 09:20 PM
WOW!!! that is scary.....i had delilah chipped 2 years ago when i adopted her....thre needle wasn't big....she didn't even know that it was being done....say, the persons dog that you were confused with....the name wasn't delilah was it???? good info on the chip moving also......good reminder for vet to check when you go for annual check up....ask your vet to scan your dog to see if it is still in the right place...and if it scanning correct info....i say add it too annual check up list!!