PDA

View Full Version : Update on Katie

rg_girlca
10-05-2005, 07:39 PM
First off I want to thank everyone for their prayers and hugs. They really helped.:)

Well, I was able to pick up my girl at 6:30 tonight. She had her teeth cleaned and she had to have 2 pulled. Poor baby.
They said that she did well. She is still pretty groggy though. She obviously had diarrhea while at the vets as it was all stuck to her butt which seemed to really bother her. So I got a baby wipe and cleaned it as best as I could and I even had to take a pair a scissors to cut away some of it.
I have a question. When anyone of you brought home your older cat from having any type of surgery, did they pant open mouth like a dog. I called my vet, but they were closed. I never had any of my cats do this before.
Should I be concerned about this or is it normal for some cats after being put under?

I'm going to go and lie back beside her and I'll be back later.

furrykidsmother
10-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I wish I had more advice to offer, but just wanted to let you know that I am glad that sweet Katie got through her cleaning, sorry she had to lose a couple teeth. I imagine she may have been nervous or scared. The heavy breathing/panting might be an after affect, but I would keep close watch on her. Never can be to careful with them. Holding good thoughts for both of you! Please update when you can.

Uabassoon
10-05-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm happy to hear that everything went well with Katie. I know that Corkscrew will pant like a dog if he is stressed out. I pet him and talk to him to try to calm him down.

catnapper
10-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Poor baby. Glad to hear she's home and recouperating.

When I brought Angel home form the vet after her Xrays and cast, she was panting. I called the vet and asked if that was normal, and they said cats will do that if they are stressed. Poor Katie is probably very upset and stressed from her ordeal.

QueenScoopalot
10-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Did Katie get molars pulled? I would think that the bigger the tooth pulled, the more pain she may be in, thus panting from pain/stress. Hope they gave her something to help her with her pain for a few days. I've never had teeth pulled, but can imagine.... :( Kisses tonight, and extra treats for Katie girl when she feels a bit better. ;)

Jessika
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Panting is normal sometimes under the circumstances I'm sure she's fine.

And diarrhea was on her butt?? The vets office didn't even clean her up?? That's a little rude.

rg_girlca
10-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm really worried about Katie. It has been 4 hours since I brought her home and she is still panting very heavy and now she is flopping from place to place in my room crying.

I'm going to call the emergency vet and see what they have to say.

Yes, she was given a shot for pain that is suppose to last for 24 hours.

It wasn't her molars that removed, but two teeth from the side of her mouth.

I'll update you as soon as possible.

QueenScoopalot
10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
That doesn't sound normal Lorraine. Prayers winging in fast from me that Katie will be OK. Has she had this particular anesthesia in the past to your knowledge? I think maybe she'd do better being crated in her carrier for a while rather than having full run of the place right now. It may keep her a bit more calm.

K & L
10-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Gosh I've never had anything like that happen. Sounds like some kind of reaction to either the medication or anesthesia! Good luck to you and I'll be anxiou to hear the outcome.

rg_girlca
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
I just got off the phone with the emergency vet. They said that it depends on when she had the surgery today. If it was later than it will take a little longer for her to come out of it and that for her age and how easily she gets stressed out, that this sounds like it could be normal. But I am to keep an eye on her and if there is no change in the next few hours or she seems to get worse, to bring her in. But they also said that a cat who pants open mouthed is not good.
My hubby went in to her and he seems to have been able to calm her down some. She seems more relaxed. More than what I am. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face as I just hate seeing her like this.
Jan, I did have her in the carrier but she seemed to get more stressed out from being in there, so she is closed in my room. The last time Katie was put under was about 7-8 years ago when her jaw seized up. Long story, I will tell you that another time, but she did well then. But she was also younger too.

Please pray that my Katie girl will be okay.

Laura's Babies
10-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Phew, I would have her scooped up and run to the emergency vets asap! Poor Kaite! Come on girl, you are scearing us to death here (me anyway). Keep us updated PLEASE!

auggie
10-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Oh, my gosch! How scary! Let us know what they tell you.
I hope Katie is not in pain. Could it be a reaction to the anesthesia?
When I had a bad tooth pulled the pain went away immediately.
Lots of prayers for your Katie girl.

QueenScoopalot
10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Katie, go take yourself a nap, and calm your meowmie (and all of us down for a while please). :( Anesthesia can throw a cat off for quite a few hours until it starts leaving their system. Best you can do is keep a peek on Katie, and keep her calm. I've had cats that have had medical procedures done late in the day (emergencies have to be priority) and brought them home looped. They stay in the carrier until they seem to be fully awake, but if they are WUI (walking under the influence) it's back into the carrier until sober. ;)

rg_girlca
10-05-2005, 10:26 PM
I wish I could keep her in the carrier Jan, but she gets too stressed out in there. I wish she would close her eyes and try to sleep, but her eyes are wide open.

Guess who will be spending the night on the floor beside her Katie girl.

QueenScoopalot
10-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Guess who will be spending the night on the floor beside her Katie girl.[/QUOTE]
Better for your back. ;) I'm sure Katie will feel better in the morning. ;) ((HUGS)) for worried meowmie, and kissies for Katie. :)

Soapets
10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Wow, I really sympathize with what you're going through. Maybe Katie senses your anxiety, too, and that just adds to hers. If hubby seemed to have a more calming effect on her, is he willing to spend more time through the night with her? Whatever you do, just keep her close to one or both of you, and reassure her, and let her know how much you love her, and let her know that everything will work out OK. Let us know how things go.

You'll continue to be in our thoughts and prayers here........

Deb

krazyaboutkatz
10-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Lorraine, I'm so sorry to hear that Katie is going though this and that you're both stressed. :( Hopefully the anesthesia will wear off soon and she'll be able to breathe normally again. Please update us when you can. Lots more prayers and postive thoughts are going out to Katie. Please take care.

Nomilynn
10-06-2005, 02:45 AM
It can take up to about 12 hours for the anesthetic to wear off. Did the vet give you any take home instructions? How awake was she when you first brought her home. It's normal to see "flopping" when they are first waking up, but I've yet to see a cat pant from anethetic. You might want to call your vet and see what kind of anesthetic and induction they used - perhaps she had an allergic reaction to it?

I really hope she feels better!

K & L
10-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Any new updates?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Oh no, poor little Katie girl. :(

I sure hope it was all just stress and she's feeling better this morning.