PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for activities???

lv4dogs
10-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I have tendinitis or maybe a torn tendon in my hip & it hurts something awful. So I have to limit my activities for at least 3 weeks (up to 6 for tendinitis longer if it's torn). Which means no walkies for Kaige for a while. None at all for now, once it feels a little better I can cheat & go on a few short ones. lol

I'm trying to think of ideas on how I can exercise Kaige. I've been doing a lot of extra training with him, fetch in the house, off leash playtimes with the other dogs, tug of war, kongs, buster cubes etc... and I don't even crate him except at night, since this started Sun. He still has so much energy cooped up. I have to figure out how I can bust it loose (haha pun intended).

I am now looking into getting a dog walker too (not having any luck so far finding one in my area, it's pricey to get them to come out to me where I live and I don't really trust any of the kids in my park to do it but I'm still looking).

I try to bring them to the park when no one is there so they can all run off lead but more often than not so far the parks are pretty full or I'm having a bad day & can't drive there.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do? He needs some serious exercise.

chocolatepuppy
10-05-2005, 07:38 PM
hmmm, I've had the opposite problem, dogs that had to be entertained when 'they' had to take it easy! Do you have a friend who could help you out a little when you go to the park or to just walk Kaige once in awhile? I hope you're better soon, if I can think of something else I'll let you know. :)

Ginger's Mom
10-06-2005, 05:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well. You thought of almost everything I would have: giving him more excersize inside the house, finding a place where he can run free outside the house, have someone assist in walking excersizing him, and giving him more mentally challanging things to do when he is stuck inside (for example Kongs). I hope you can find someone who can help you in excersizing him, and/or find another area where he can run outside. The only other thing I can think of is taking him to doggie day care two or three days a week. It may be somewhat cheaper than having a dog walker come every day (it's about $20.00). Good luck.

lv4dogs
10-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well. You thought of almost everything I would have: giving him more excersize inside the house, finding a place where he can run free outside the house, have someone assist in walking excersizing him, and giving him more mentally challanging things to do when he is stuck inside (for example Kongs). I hope you can find someone who can help you in excersizing him, and/or find another area where he can run outside. The only other thing I can think of is taking him to doggie day care two or three days a week. It may be somewhat cheaper than having a dog walker come every day (it's about $20.00). Good luck.

Wow I never thought of the doggy day care. Duh. lol Thanks for the idea!
I am a little nervous about the dog flu going around but I guess he has the same probability of catching it at the park as he does at a day care.
They have a fairly new one in my area, it's supposed to be really decent. I'll have to give them a call in a bit to check their hours & availability then stop in to check out the facilities. It's only about 5-10 minutes out of my way on the way to work & back.

cyber-sibes
10-06-2005, 08:32 AM
How 'bout a doggie treadmill? http://www.jogadog.com/faqs.html ;) Although I have a feeling they could be a little on the expensive side. (nothin' but the best, right?) Seriously, someone from our dogpark opened a doggie day-care and from what I hear, it's wonderful! That's a great suggestion.