PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about hair removal!

catnapper
10-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Oh, the questions I come up with! :D :p

I have a little problem with facial hair, and its been getting worse the older I get :eek:

I saw the new Veet Rasera shaving kit... which is essentially hair removal cream and a bladeless razor to "shave" off the hair after 3 minutes. I paid $10 :eek: :eek: for this kit and no sooner do I get it home and I see it says "DO NOT use on facial hair" Anyone have any idea WHY? I just want to use it on my upper lip and chin area. Nowhere near my eyes.

Should I try it, even though the warning label says not to? Its not like I'm going to snort the cream, or accidentally swallow it. I can see how people might get it in their eyes trying to do their eyebrows... good old fashioned tweezers work for me there! :D

PJ's Mom
10-05-2005, 01:03 PM
If I had facial hair, I would certainly try it. Just remember that your face is very sensitive and I would certainly rinse at the first sign of irritation.

I use it on my legs and it works great. :)

caseysmom
10-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I have an epilady....takes a few shots of tequila before hand but it rips the hair right off of your face.

Craftlady
10-05-2005, 01:24 PM
I have my done at beauty salon. Most places charge between $5 and $7 to do facial waxing.

new mom to a veiled
10-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Have you ever tried waxing.....it's pretty inexpensive and effective. I have my eyebrows, underarms, bikini, and legs done. The more you do it the less amount of hair grows back. It's relatively painless........just a though ;)

Queen of Poop
10-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Don't do it. I tried that Veet product on my legs this summer. Oh my goodness what a mess. Followed all the directions, but I ended up with a red rash around my knees for a week afterward. I promptly threw the rest of the product in the trash.

catnapper
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I used to wax in my single days when I could afford it. I wish waxing was just $5 around here. Everyone wants around $20 to do chin, lips, eyebrows. I've been plucking eyesborws for years and years now, and I know the shape I like, so I'd never trust another person to wax my brows. But plucking the lip and chin is too tedious for my patience. We simply cannot afford $20 every three weeks for my chin and lips. I am soooo very sensitive and picky about it that I basically would want it every week.

The Veet thing seemed to be the answer. That one $10 can could last me forever! I wish the packaging said no facial hair -- I had to open it and read the back of the can to find that out :mad:

anna_66
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Well I guess it all depends on how sensitive you are, but I've used it on my face before with no problem what so ever:)

KYS
10-05-2005, 03:29 PM
If the directions say "do not use on the face"
I would NOT do it.
What if you get a reaction from the cream and end up damaging
your skin?

What you can do yourself that is cheap and works is Bleach, wax and pluck.

shutterbug0303
10-05-2005, 05:00 PM
I would "spot test" an inconspicuous place on your face (is there such a thing!?!? lol) just like hair dye suggests. If your face normally isn't sensitive and doesn't break out/rash easily, it will probably be fine. I'm sure it's just a strength issue with the product and for most people, would cause a rash on their face (more sensitive area). Just don't swallow or paint your pupils with it and I'm sure it will be fine :D

petslover
10-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Have you ever had a checkup on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and it can cause that. The only way to get it off is pretty much by laser surgery, but if your hormones are out of whack then it really won't work anyway.

lizbud
10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't use it on your face. The sikn on the face is thinner
and usually much more sensitive than say , your arm or leg.I can
see problems with swelling, itching and such which could be the reason
they don't recommend it for the face. Besides, you wouldn't be covered
by any liability if you use it against directions.

NoahsMommy
10-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Kim,
I wouldn't use it on your face. The skin on your face is really, really a lot more sensitive than the skin on your legs. Be careful with that.

Sorry it didn't tell you till you opened it. Nice!

Hope you can find something else that works.

Hugs,
Kelly :)

dukedogsmom
10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't use it on my face. I got some wax at Sally Beauty Supply. It can be heated over and over in the microwave. I paid $8 but that's at least what you'd pay to have it done and then that's just for one time. This isn't what I have but it looks much easier. If you're really interested, I'll look to see what I've got at home. I'm at work now.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/4320/245050

catnapper
10-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Guys, I have tried wax before. I simply do not have the personal fortitude to yank the wax strip off. I've walked around with it on my lip for an hour waiting for hubby to get home to yank it off for me. Which grossed him out completely. LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions!

carole
10-05-2005, 08:53 PM
DON'T USE IT Kim, honestly I would not attempt it especially if you have sensitive skin,it seems to be that us older woman all have to deal with some extra facial hair that we donot want, i think it is those damn hormones, they have a lot to answer for all our lives.,and of course if you are dark haired you can have more of a problem.

I just hate those hairs under the chinny chin chin don't you. :D

dukedogsmom
10-05-2005, 08:55 PM
I've got to say that I just don't see how this can be so much pain after someone has gone through having a child. Just do a quick rip! You'll have a nice and smooth face.

K9karen
10-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Kim, as unbelievable as this sounds, when I went a few years ago for laser hair removal on my face, the tech told me that "shaving" the hair is actually the best thing to do. Something about hair follicles. She said that it does not make the hair grow back coarser or darker. I was so shocked, but as I said it was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly why she said it was ok. Have you tried Jolen to dye it? It may depend on how dark you are. It was messy and made my hair a reddish color. :rolleyes: Now I have my brows and any other facial hair waxed at the salon. I could never do it myself either.

catnapper
10-06-2005, 10:02 AM
LOL... I'm loving the responses. Val, I never had a child of my own. Never will! The kids are my stepchildren and I feel like they are my own anyhow. I am a wimp wimp wimp when it comes to pain. I'm rendered usesless after a papercut.

I am very dark haired. People think I'm italian. I have a lot of hair. Always have. I bleached it some on highschool, but bleaching alway seeme stupid to me because you still see hair!

Shaving.... I've tried it. I see the hairs making little black pebbles by night time. Not enough to form a 5 o'clock shadow, but enough to know shaving's not what I want to do.

Til now, I've been plucking, and driving myself nuts. My eyes are getting worse and worse each year, just as the hair is getting more and more visible.

Sigh, I guess we'll just have to win the lottery and then it won't matter if I get a salon to wax it!!! :D :D :D Truth be told, I'd prefer to have it waxed, but since thats not an option for me right now (because of finances) I'm going to look into the Sally Henson or Joleen stuff.

Jadapit
10-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I have hair on my upper lip. I hate it, drives me crazy! Something I found that works really, really good is the Nair hair remover for men. It works a lot better than the ladies, for me anyway. The things we women have to go through. :p

lvpets2002
10-06-2005, 10:12 AM
:) I use tweezers & do the plucking thing myself.. I tried the waxing thing once on my shinn & you could have heard me for six blocks :rolleyes: so that did it for me & waxing..

just me
10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Its a little pricey, but Laser Removal works and is permanent.
A couple years ago I had my upper lip done. It has never come back. Also had my eyebrows done. Was worth every penny. :D

moosmom
10-06-2005, 10:50 AM
I use Surgi-Creme. It's great. It also comes with a tube of moisturizing creme to put on after you use the treatment.

All you do is dampen the area with a warm washcloth. I put it on with a Q-Tip. You only leave it on for 12 minutes then wipe off with a warm wet washcloth. Put the moisturizing creme on afterwards and you're good to go!!

Epilady is shear torture, as is the wax. I tried NADS. Don't care for that much either.

I consider myself very lucky in that I don't have to shave everyday.

LKPike
10-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Dooon't do it. I forget the name of the product but it was something just like that veet stuff, I tried it on my face. It gave me a chemical burn! and I used it 1 less minute than it said, too.

I'm personally looking forward to the laser remover ;) but waxing is fine for now.

((they charge $45 for face here....))

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Kim, I can sympathise as I have the same problem. At the moment I get threading done, but will be saving up for laser hair removal next year.

Have you tried to see if Veet or Nair make a removal cream specifically for the face???

LKPike
10-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Nair ??

NAIR! thats the one I tried. and to the best of my knowledge they don't make it for facial use. they have one (which i bought) that was for "use of the whole body - general" well - my face is attached to my body so, why not? didn't say anything about not using on face - on the box so i bought it and got a chemical burn. :mad:

it healed but still - "for of the whole body general" with no warning about the face, and your not supposed to use it on face?

catnapper
10-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I just tried Nair for the face last week ---- what a major flop! It did NOTHING. I kept it on for the amount they said. Then a minute longer. Then another minute... finally I wiped it all off and I had just as much hair as I started with! The only good thing I can say about it, is it didn't smell awful! ;)

I still haven't used the Veet yet. I think I'll give it to the girls. They'll love it.

anna_66
10-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I use Surgi-Creme. It's great. It also comes with a tube of moisturizing creme to put on after you use the treatment.

I love that one, it works well and the creme for afterwards is awesome!

Roxyluvsme13
10-06-2005, 04:14 PM
The Veet stuff burns....or at least it burned me...so I would not suggest usong on your face

dukedogsmom
10-06-2005, 04:56 PM
We must be some pretty hairy women! I'll have to look into that Surgi Creme. Sounds a lot easier than the waxing.

catnapper
10-06-2005, 05:35 PM
We must be some pretty hairy women! I'll have to look into that Surgi Creme. Sounds a lot easier than the waxing.
Yeah, pretty soon they won't be able to tell us women from our cats and dogs! :D LOL

ChrisH
10-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Although I wish you all didn't have this problem too I am so glad I'm not alone!!

Chris

dukedogsmom
10-08-2005, 10:45 AM
We need to make a universal, hairy women of pt sig that we can all use :p

moosmom
10-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I am ROFLMAO picturing us PT women looking like the "cavemen" on the Geico Car Insurance commercial!!!!

Hairy women of Pt UNITE!!!!!

Anna,

I've used Surgi-Creme for years and it works great. I can't remember who recommended it to me. My mom used to use Nair on her face. And that was way back (32 years) when the chemicals were alot harsher. Especially your face. EEEWWWWWWW!! I shudder just thinking about it.