PDA

View Full Version : Antarctic Ice Shelf Collapses

Paul
03-19-2002, 11:57 AM
   Part of the Larsen B shelf in the Antarctic that could have formed 12,000 years ago has collapsed. 500 billion tons of ice has disintegrated in less than a month.

From the BBC: Antarctic ice shelf breaks apart (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1880000/1880566.stm)

From the National Snow and Ice Data Center: Antarctic Ice Shelf Collapses (http://nsidc.org/iceshelves/larsenb2002/index.html)

Paul

Karen
03-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Yikes! Better start teaching everybody to swim!

Randi
03-19-2002, 01:11 PM
I just wish that everybody would watch National Geografic, Discovery and such informative channels more - especially politicians! They don't seem to regcognize what's happening with mother Earth!
Let's all do what we can to save our planet!!

The climate is definately changing! :(

sasvermont
03-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Paul, I too saw the news via MSNBC. How scarey! :rolleyes:

Paul
03-19-2002, 02:19 PM
   The MSNBC article is also good. Although I don't know what 29 trillion bags of ice would look like.

"The U.S. center noted that 720 billion tons is enough ice for 29 trillion 5-pound bags." (http://www.msnbc.com/news/726247.asp)

Paul

gini
03-19-2002, 03:09 PM
There is a site I will have to research and post for all of you.

I only know it as Landsat 7 - but it has satellite pictures from around the world and one was of another iceberg the size of Rhode Island that broke off - and it was threatening shipping lanes down in Argentina.

Absolutely amazing photos...........

This one is much larger.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-19-2002, 05:23 PM
Chuck! Glad to see you're still here!!! :)

Any chances of seeing an updated picture of Spencer with his hair growing back? :D

tatsxxx11
03-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Wow! Finally an explaination for all of the rumblings on PT!!! No wonder so many of us feel like we're walking on thin ice.;)

tatsxxx11
03-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Please Chuck, Mr. B's not well. Please check his condition out in "Health." I need your advice! Thanks, S. and Mr. B

Logan
03-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Wow! Finally an explaination for all of the rumblings on PT!!! No wonder so many of us feel like we're walking on thin ice.;)

OH DEAR!!! Me thinks she's punchy!!!! :eek:

tatsxxx11
03-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Have you ever sat in church during a sermon or in class, and gotten an uncontrollable, irrationaal fit of the giggles??? That's how I'm feeling Logan! Sometimes when things looks SO bleak, you have to laugh and let it go.. As my Mother use to say, "Let God, let go!!!" Sometimes you have to "let go" with a laugh! Seriously, I hunt fervently for any show on Discovery, TLC, Natl. Geo. on natural history, paleontology anthroplogy, archeaology, astromony. It fascinates me and challenges me! I love contemplating the universe!!:rolleyes: Gini, I'd love more info. on your link!!

wolflady
03-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Have you ever sat in church during a sermon or in class, and gotten an uncontrollable, irrationaal fit of the giggles???....

OH MY GOSH, I definitely know THIS feeling! I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but this question reminded me of something that happened to me when I was in elementary school. I went to an all Catholic private school for 8 years :eek: Anyway, we had an all-school mass once a week, and one time (I think it was when I was in 8th grade) my class went up to stand around the alter during the eucharist. Well, our principal (bless her heart) had gone into the sachristy (sp) to get something and was coming back out to the alter and got stuck in the doorway!:eek: Of course, I didn't notice until I saw some commotion out of the corner of my eye. It was my teacher trying to pull her out! Talk about a bad time to get the giggles!

It's really bad, but every now and then I still just get the uncontrollable giggles in church and it always seems to be during the most quiet part. Why is that??!! LOL LOL

gini
03-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Sandra..........have fun!!

This is the link for the site I mentioned earlier. At the top slightly to the left - you will see "sample images of places..........." click on that and it will bring up a map - and then just have fun exploring.
You can also see where the satellite is at any given time.

This is what I do when I am not on Pet Talk - I'm in outer space:p :p :p

http://landsat7.usgs.gov/

C.C.'s Mom
03-21-2002, 05:22 AM
Yeah, saw it on the news this morning. Horrible!

I wish we had Discovery or National Geografic on the cable...

Good thing is that Cookie loves swimming and so do I (which Dutch person doesn't with water all over the country and Amsterdam being below the sea level!)

lynnestankard
03-21-2002, 05:28 AM
Can I suggest we get a boat - some bottles of tonic - a bottle of gin/vodka and make some use of that ice before it melts!!
:D :D

(Sorry couldn't resist!)

Lynne

Former User
03-21-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Can I suggest we get a boat - some bottles of tonic - a bottle of gin/vodka and make some use of that ice before it melts!!
:D :D

(Sorry couldn't resist!)

Lynne

LOL Lynne! :D :D :D

gini
03-21-2002, 10:42 AM
I read that it is breaking up pretty fast. I am surprised some enterprising person hasn't gone there already to harvest it and bring it back to sell around the world. We sell the glacier ice from Alaska to Japan for their drinks.

It is a little too early here for me to think about Antarctic ice, gin and tonic - but check back with me about 5 PM. :D :D :D

Randi
03-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Can I suggest we get a boat - some bottles of tonic - a bottle of gin/vodka and make some use of that ice before it melts!! :D :D

LOL, LOL!! Great idea - I'm on my way! :D

C.C.'s mom! Yes, I bet everybody in Holland can swim! Or they better start learning it! Not to mention us in Denmark! ;)

gini
03-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Mother Nature sure does play tricks. The east coast just received a lot of rain (and flooding) that they didn't need and so many other places are parched.

lynnestankard
03-21-2002, 11:35 AM
Hi Gini - it's 5.35 pm here now! - Cheers.

Lynne :D :D

purrley
03-28-2002, 07:46 AM
We could sure use it here in Utah - looks like we're up against water rationing again this year, even after all the snow:(