PDA

View Full Version : My niece's burnt foot, pics WARNING graphic...

carole
10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Some of you will remember about three weeks ago my niece Charlene had a very unfortunate accident in the kitchen both her and hubby, and received third degree burns to her foot, which required a skin graft, all seems to be going well, I just received these pics today, boy they are pretty gruesome and gory, I really had no idea my poor niece's injuries were so bad, good thing is she seems to be healing well and although she has required almost two months off work, she is getting better each day.

Please click on the thumbnail for the larger pic.

joycenalex
10-04-2005, 09:05 PM
the poor woman! best wishes for a speedier recovery.

carole
10-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I know it looks so bad, so raw and sore too, can you see the larger version when you clicked on it, as I cannot seem to .?Thanks for your wishes, always appreciated.

Kfamr
10-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Oh my gosh! That must be so painful :( I know how painful just a tiny little burn is from working in the kitchen. Your poor niece!

Jessika
10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh my GOODNESS! That looks SO painful. ell her I wish her the best of luck and a speedy recovery! :o

carole
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks Guys I will , she is doing well though and believe it or not the pain has not been too bad, she was on morphine after the skin graft op, and has been taking painkillers to keep it a bay, still looks like a lot of healing to go yet.

Flatcoatluver
10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
ouch, your neice is tough!

rg_girlca
10-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Oh my goodness. That looks awful. Your poor niece. I'm glad to hear that she is doing well. Thank God for pain medications.

Prayers on the way for a full and complete recovery.

I know when I tipped over a cup of hot tea on my leg, it hurt like you wouldn't believe. I can just imagine the pain that your poor niece must have gone through. Especially with the nerves jumping out of whack.

OOOHHHHH I got the shivers just thinking about it.

Please keep us updated Carole on how she is doing.

Craftlady
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Oh my that does look painful.
Was she wearing shoes? If not it's a reminder for us to wear protective gear on our feet when we cook.

sammy101
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
ouch :eek: I hope she has a speedy recovery

Laura's Babies
10-04-2005, 11:21 PM
OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! But I think it looks good. I have seen a whole lot worse....BELIEVE me! My son was burned May 4th of this year in an explosion, 82% of his body, 2nd. and 3rd. degree burns so I know all about autographs, dermagraphs and epicel. He is still in the hospital and will be for some time. Her biggest threat is from infection so tell her to be extra careful and do everything they tell her to do, no matter how painful! That looks like a horriable 3rd. degree burn, deep into the flesh and as long as it is open, she is open to infection. Have her be EXTRA, EXTRA careful!

carole
10-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Thank you so much for the advice, I am so terribly sorry to hear about your son, I can only imagine what he is going through, and you as well, yes we are very thankful it was only her foot and that things appear to be going well, I will pass on the info you gave me and I really appreciate it.

Charlene was wearing a sock at the time, but it just melted competely.

elizabethann
10-05-2005, 06:14 AM
OMG...looks very painful. I hope your Necie has a speedy recovery. I'll send good thoughts her way.

lbaker
10-05-2005, 06:47 AM
When the skin finally does begin to heal over I highly recommend vitamin E ointment. It's a miracle ointment and one could hardly tell I have had 3rd degree burns across my hand. Any over-the-counter stuff would be better than nothing but mine was a "scrip" from the doctor and I swear by it. Good luck.

catnapper
10-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Wow, that looks certainly painful. I can't imagine how much pain she endured and how much time it'll take ot completely heal.

lvpets2002
10-05-2005, 08:25 AM
:( OMG how painfull that looks.. I am sure hope all goes well & no infection.. Me & my girls send lots of whisker prayers & best wishes..

jazzcat
10-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Ouch, that looks so painful. I tend to have sympathy pains whenever I see anything like that and right now my foot is aching. Can't imagine what she is going through or what Laura's son much be induring. Prayers for both!

ramanth
10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
:eek: :eek: :( :( Owie. :( The poor dear. I missed the original thread... could you point me to it?

*HUGS*

Jamieejo85
10-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow, that looks extrememly painful. I hope it heals up nicely

carole
10-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes, charlene is doing well, but she is not allowed to walk on her foot at all, so she is really unable to do much at all, my sister has been with her most of the time and hubby has just returned to work, his burns were not as bad, but he still needed three weeks off, hopefully they will be giving her a wheelchair so she can have some outings,there is simply not a lot she is physically allowed to do, she will have had about two months off work, but luckily she works in the bank and they have unlimited sick leave at the banks descretion, so she is on full pay, we have ACC here, but they only pay 80 per cent of their wages, they have a mortgage to pay etc, so at least they should be ok financially.

Ramanth that is something I have never learned, how to link you up to old posts, maybe someone here might beable to post the link to my original post.

I had no idea until this thread about Laura's Babies son, please continue to keep her in your prayers too, she and her son have a tough road ahead of them, I can only imagine what they are going through, lots of get well wishes for them too.

davidpizzica
10-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Carole, Pittsburgh prayers are continuing for Charlene for her speedy recovery, and headbumps continue from Nikki, Daisy, and Marigold. I tried to look at the picture, but I could'nt look at it too long. Also {{{{HUGS}}}} to you, Carole for being there for Charlene through this ordeal. Again {{{{HUGS}}}} for Charlene and you.

Toby's my baby
10-05-2005, 07:39 PM
ouch!! That look very painful, i am sorry your neice has to go through all that. Best wishes and speedy recovery!

carole
10-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Thank you everyone and yes David I found it rather difficult to look at myself, I think it will be a long slow recovery, but so far so good, she just finds normal things very hard to do, still has to keep off it all the time, my sister lives very close by less than two mins drive if that, so that is a blessing, she can be with her most of the time now that Nick has returned to work, I am sure she is finding it a bit lonely now he is back and my sister is at work in the mornings, thank goodness she has lovely Neo the kitty to keep her company, and my mother sent her a whole lot of video vouchers to redeem so she can watch some movies whilst recovering.,still I think she is getting mighty bored now.

She is not allowed to be left alone for more than two hours, according to the ACC assessment, this is a government department, that pays you eighty per cent of your wages, for physiotherapy, doctors fees at a reduced rate and they also provide things for the home and home help, luckily they decided to let my sister be her home help and pay her something instead, makes sense to me, Charlene would not like a complete stranger coming in her home and doing things, so that worked out well.

I will pass on all the kind thoughts to her and tell her everyone is thinking of her. :)

Anita Cholaine
10-05-2005, 08:10 PM
OMG :eek: that looks terrible, it must be so painfull.... hope she has a speedy recovery... (((hugs)))

carole
10-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I think Charlene has had less pain since the graft, of course she has a hunk out of her thigh where they took the skin for the graft to heal as well, apparently it looks like raw meat too, but it is not sore, yes I can imagine she has had some painful moments, but they have kept it a bay as much as possible with adequate pain relief.