PDA

View Full Version : Brother wants a pug & fast, suggestions?

lv4dogs
10-04-2005, 10:21 AM
My brother & SIL are looking for a pug. For the last YEAR I've been expalining to them all about pugs. They just now decided they want one & they want one fast. I have tried explaingin to them that in order to find the right one for them they may have to wait a little while. They don't want to wait, :mad: they will call a BYB out of the paper if needed even after I expalined over & over again that they will probably run into a lot of health problems (doesn't help that the breed is known for as many as it is already).
So all morning I've been looking on petfinder, local shelters & rescues as well as reputable breeders in my area & am not having any luck.
I really want to find them one before they go out & buy one from someone unknown from the paper.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Know anyone (breeders, rescues etc..) in the upstate NY area? Well around the rochester area as they don't want to drive far either.
I have about a week or so, hopefully anyways.
Thanks!

caseysmom
10-04-2005, 10:24 AM
There are lots of pugs in need of rescue. When I adopted casey I was initially looking for a pug, the rescue groups wouldn't give me one because of my swimming pool. Apparantly pugs drowned really easy. I do have a fence around my pool but it has 6 inch openings.

lv4dogs
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
There are lots of pugs in need of rescue. When I adopted casey I was initially looking for a pug, the rescue groups wouldn't give me one because of my swimming pool. Apparantly pugs drowned really easy. I do have a fence around my pool but it has 6 inch openings.

I've been looking at all sorts of rescues near the rochester NY area & only found a few (maybe 5 tops), either really old, can't be with kids &/or other dogs. :(
I know they are out there though, I guess it's just not the right time in my area.

finn's mom
10-04-2005, 10:31 AM
here are two sites that i found...don't know if you've already checked them out...

central new york

http://www.procny.homestead.com/

greater new york

http://www.nypugclub.org/rescue.htm

lv4dogs
10-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks but I already tried them.

beeniesmom
10-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Send a PM to flamepony, she and someone else here has a pug names annabelle.
You can ask them for info.

lv4dogs
10-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh I forgot, does anyone know what pugs should be tested for before being bred? When & if I get a minute I'll go search but I am so busy right now.

I know eyes will be on that list.

elizabethann
10-04-2005, 12:30 PM
It's a shame they don't want to drive too far because Vermont has a pug rescue group.

lizbud
10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't know if I'd be that keen on helping anyone that wanted a dog "fast and "easy" (no long drives). What's the hurry?

pitc9
10-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Tell them to try www.petfinder.com

Jessika
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't know if I'd be that keen on helping anyone that wanted a dog "fast and "easy" (no long drives). What's the hurry?

Yeah really. I would want to wait, do the research, and make sure I get a nice healthy pug instead of rushing to get everything done and quite possibly make a mistake in the process. Puppies aren't just born overnight, and even then its weeks before they can leave their mother. So unless you find a good rescue group, your brother will HAVE to wait.

I wanted an Aussie REALLY BAD, but knew that I couldn't just go and get one. I have to have PATIENCE, and my patience worked!! We also drove an 8-hour round-trip to pick him up, and to me that was totally worth it. It's sad they don't want to put this much effort into getting a pug for themselves.

My Peanuts
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I have a Pug that I bought from a pet store right before I realized how dumb and irresponsible that is. (I felt so guilty after I educated myself that we adopted Harley a month and a half later. Morty is from a foster home, and Jimmy was an abused rescue.) I love Sylvia so much, but she is by no means a prime example of a Pug. Tell your brother that if he doesn't go to a good breeder that his Pug might have health or physical problems. Pugs have a lot of problems as it is, but a poorly bred one can be much much worse. Sylvia's faults seem to only have to do with her appearance, thank God, but it could have been worse.

lv4dogs
10-04-2005, 01:58 PM
i know everyone but hey it's not me.

My brother can be an idiot at times.

he's one of those types that wants a dog & now. I don't even want to admit that he's related but hey I don't lie. Besides at least I am trying my darn best to imrpove the situation in all ways that I can. Believe me this is something that my brother, SIL & I have been arguing & talking about for a year. I get so mad that sometimes we end up yelling at each other.
There's nothing I can do than try to get them the best dog possible from the best place possible as he is getting one no matter what I or anyone else does or say. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

See this thread for more info: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=90088

lv4dogs
10-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I have a Pug that I bought from a pet store right before I realized how dumb and irresponsible that is. (I felt so guilty after I educated myself that we adopted Harley a month and a half later. Morty is from a foster home, and Jimmy was an abused rescue.) I love Sylvia so much, but she is by no means a prime example of a Pug. Tell your brother that if he doesn't go to a good breeder that his Pug might have health or physical problems. Pugs have a lot of problems as it is, but a poorly bred one can be much much worse. Sylvia's faults seem to only have to do with her appearance, thank God, but it could have been worse.

Thanks & like I said I've been trying for a YEAR to educate him. "I" know all about getting a good dog from a good & waiting & etc.. etc... but you can't teach everyone else that. I've told him over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over again on how a pug is not the breed for him (well the temperment of a pug is ok for him but just about everything else isn't) HE WON"T LISTEN. So I'm doing all I can to at least better the situation as much as possible since he's getting one no matter what. :mad: