PDA

View Full Version : Annie is a hero - I called the Fire Dept.!!

gini
10-04-2005, 08:38 AM
My little Annie is a hero. At around 4:30 am she kept jumping on me and jumping on me. I waved her off - TOO EARLY TO EAT!
But that isn't what Annie wanted to tell me.

I woke up to the sound of rushing water.............and went to check the source. My basement was FILLED with water......at least four feet of water.

You understand I am sound asleep - but managed to call the Fire Dept. and out they came.

Now I realize I am leaving myself wide open to lots of comments about me calling the Fire Dept. I counted - nine of the cutest - most adorable - in great shape men arrived at my home shortly thereafter with two hook and ladder trucks.

They shut off my water and gas service and installed their pump. They left and their pump promptly stopped working. So I had to call them again.

Their pump failed - so we installed my smaller home pump which is doing the work now.

My neighbor Pam called me - "Gini - you will do anything to get the fire department out to your house won't you?"

I am very concerned about my old furnace - it got soaked......as well as everything else on lower shelves in the basement.

But in the bigger picture - if this is the worst that I ever have to deal with - I am so much more fortunate than all of those who have lost their homes and I don't want to forget that.

Did these guys work on the fire lines in the Calabasas fire? The answer is yes.........and I thanked them for all of their hard work.

Now you can go ahead and tease me - yes - nine of them - eat your hearts out girls!!!

ANNIE GETS TUNA TODAY!

new mom to a veiled
10-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Gini you are lucky........my husband found are flooded basement.....hence no fire men :( I hope there isn't to much damage!! (was your basement finished?) Annie is such a good girl........big hugs for her ;)

lbaker
10-04-2005, 08:59 AM
HOORAY FOR ANNIE!!! But Gini :confused: how did that happen? Was it a major underground pipe leak? FOUR FEET :eek: Hardly a broken water heater. Is the water company responsible for any damage costs? Or is this all too early? Oh dear, thank goodness for dear Annie.

Randi
10-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Oh Gini, what a mess! :( I'm glad Annie managed to wake you up, she sure is a hero!! She deverses her tuna and lots of extra treats and cuddles too. :) Give he some scritchies and headbumpies from Fister and me!

I hope you'll have all that water pumped out soon, and the damage isn't too big. What caused it?

Sending you hugs and good thoughts.

Having the firebrigade visit under these circumstances sure would've been funnier! .... I take it none of these were there?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/LA%20July%202005/Gini-and-Firebrigade.jpg

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Oh my Gini, Annie really is a hero! How clever of her to come to you and tell you about the water :eek: ! It could have been a lot worse. Do you know yet what caused the flooding? I hope you don't have to much damage... :)
Oh, I know: maybe Annie got worried because all the catfood is stored in the basement :confused: :D
9 Firemen??? Wow, you were spoiled, Gini! I think the fire brigade remembered that famous BBQ-party from last summer; so they all came, hoping to get one more of those delicious slushies from Richard, and see all those "happy" women again.... ;) :D ;)

Just kidding ;) . I am glad you were able to thank them for all the hard work they do!

Killearn Kitties
10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Oh Gini, how awful! So how long did you have all your taps running to produce four feet of water in the basement then? Did any of the firemen recognise you?

Laura's Babies
10-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Our own PT hero! WAY TO GO ANNIE! I still say these little creatures of God are a whole lot smarter than people give them credit for. She KNEW something was wrong and Mommie needed to get up and take care of it and it was her job to wake you up! Smart Girl!!

I am like everybody else... what broke that flooded your basement?

elizabethann
10-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Wow. Annie really is a hero. Perhaps she knew all the cute firefighters were going to show up for Mommy?

:)

slick
10-04-2005, 09:32 AM
:eek: :eek: OMD Gini, firemen or no firemen....this is NO laughing matter. Four feet of water to me spells out a broken water main somewhere. You said your house was the lowest on the block so I'm wondering of the source of the problem is a few houses away?????

My dear friend...if I could I would jump on the first plane down there and help you clean up. This is the last thing you need right now with winter coming up. I sure hope that water heater is "salvageable". If not, won't your insurance company cover the cost of a new one?? Is someone from the city coming out to investigate?

Annie, I just knew you were one special kitty. Purrs and headbumpies to you for waking up your meowmie.

Edit: you know the funny thing is...at about 5am I woke up and immediately thought about you. It wasn't my gut feeling that something was wrong..it's just that you came to my mind. I didn't think much of it but couldn't get back to sleep to logged on to PT. Here I was browsing while you were up to your waist in water..... :(

Was just thinking of something else.....not that it's a good thing, but better your house than your office. Four ft of water out there and you'd be done.

Cinder & Smoke
10-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Fire Dept ...
I counted - nine of the cutest - most adorable - in great shape men
arrived with two hook and ladder trucks.

TWO Big Red Fiur Trucks, huh?

First Truck ~ to do the work ...

Second Truck ~ to "protect" the first crew from "those Crazy Ladies!"
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

SUGGESTION!
Call your Insurance AGENT *before* you call in a "claim"!
Discuss with him/her just what TYPES of water damage you have coverage for!

Sometimes Depends on how the cause is worded if they pay or not ...
Maybe the break & damage were caused by "old earthquake damage"??

USUALLY your Agent will offer good tips on how to "word" the claim so that
the Company doesn't just deny the claim as "not covered".

Yup!
Kat NIPP & Tuna for the Alarm Kat!!

dukedogsmom
10-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Hurray for Annie! I didn't know there were rescue cats, too. What a smart kitty. And you are so lucky to have had 9 firemen there! I would have had to taken a swim in the basement to cool off.

ramanth
10-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Way to go Annie! Sorry to hear about the mess Gini. *hugs*

Jadapit
10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Yea for Annie!! Its amazing to me how animals know when something isnt right. It's to bad you had to see the fireman that way, I hope the water didnt do to much damage.

wolflady
10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Gosh, Gini, sorry to hear about your basement. What caused that? Annie is such a good girl! I hope she enjoys her tuna! Even though it's an annoying event, at least you had hot firemen to balance out the annoyance, eh? ;)

**hugs**

jazzcat
10-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Three cheers for Annie (and a few for those firemen too ;) )!

tatsxxx11
10-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Yay Annie!!! You're a hero, Annie!!!:):):) What a smart kitty! Bet that's the last time your mommy waves you off! And if you had to have a disaster gini, well, I guess it could have been worse!;) Those guys are pretty "hot," huh???:p And there's just something about those truck!:D I am sorry though about the flooding. Hopefully the damage won't be too costly:( Extra hugs for you, Miss Annie!:)

momoffuzzyfaces
10-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Good Golly!!!

I'm so glad you and the fur kids are ok!!!

What a thing to wake up to. My cat kids think Annie should have tuna, catnip and other special treats for at least a week!!!

We all send {{HUGS}} to you and special {{{HUGS}}} for Annie!
(Chester wants to know if she's single?) :) :D

Logan
10-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Good job, Annie!!! :)

Gini, I hope your mess will be straightened out soon. So sorry you had to deal with this now, but not sorry for those wonderful firemen you HAD to call!!! ;)

Logan

AmberLee
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Wow, Gini, I'm glad you are okay. What a shock to wake up to... 3 LOUD cheers for Annie, what a heroine.

When you get a chance, I too am eager for more details. Is it stopped now? What caused it? Are the cats okay now? How's your wiring, not affected, I hope! Precisely how cute were the firemen? (oops, how did THAT question sneak in here?)

Ginger's Mom
10-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Yay for Annie. I have a feeling she knew it meant the firemen would have to be called. That is why she was so persistant ;). Seriously, I am glad to hear that Annie was able to realize it was a problem only a meowmie could fix. Hey it's a good thing the firemen already knew how to get to your house. Lots of Tuna and kisses for her.

jenluckenbach
10-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Annie, you are one smart little lady.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-04-2005, 03:26 PM
:eek: :eek:
Way to go Annie!!!

Gini, I sure hope no major damage was done, and here you were just getting dried out after all the rains this spring. :(

luvofallhorses
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Yay for Annie!! :) Make sure you give her some extra lovings for me and some extra treats!! :)

RICHARD
10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
:confused: For some reason I thought that Annie had dialed 911...

I guess I should wear my glasses...

Good work Girlie!!!

Of course some of us have never seen Annie and think that Gini is pulling our leg... ;)

------------------------

Ahem,

Notice, the the LAFD has a huge budget and they leave a pump doesn't work???

Sure........ :D f ;) :eek:

slick
10-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Well, I just popped in quickly here to see if there were any updates. I guess she's busy mopping up and I suspect tomorrow will she'll be at it too. :(

gini
10-04-2005, 04:53 PM
My, my, what a day so far.

So this time three kitties had to be shut in my bedroom - and they are not happy.

There has been a stream of people coming through my home. Starting with 7 am - the plumber - GOD LOVE HIM............who has repaired everything.

The cause: The hose that runs from the hot or cold water pipe to the water heater blew. It blew in a way that had all of the water going upward towards the floor above.

I called my insurance agent/claims adjuster and he was here in 45 minutes. I couldn't believe it. He didn't leave until noon.

A team arrived that checked out everything damaged by water in my basement - cataloged it - removed it and it will be either restored - or I will be paid for its loss.

Another team arrived who checked on the water damage - and yes, the carpeting above the water heater is wet. They removed it and I now have
five huge fans and two dehumidifyers that I have to leave running for YIKES -FIVE DAYS!!

The ducts for my furnace are soaked with water (and are very old). There is asbestos on them - this house was built in 1912/13...........The furnace ducts will be replaced.

Another team will arrrive that will completely check out my furnace and see what damage has been done. If deemed necessary I will get a new furnace.

The last team left about a half hour ago -

Thanks for all of your kind wishes for Annie - she along with Rascal and Emma are checking out all of these fans - and they are not too happy.

I think it is about time for that tuna and extra catnip -

Me - if Thursdays was open, I would rush over there for a slushie!! Make that a double.

Kfamr
10-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Good girl, Annie! I think she deserves some cat Greenies for that, has your crew tried them yet? :)

Woohoo for all of the people who've helped you today - thank gosh you haven't gotten and additional grief from people added on. Woohooo for firemen! It's awfully funny that I can't even hear the word or see it without thinking of PT now. :p

I'm not Richard so I can't make any promises, but i'm sure he'd have no problem rustling something up for ya....

(DONE!)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Oh my, Gini! :eek: Thank God for insurance - and Annie!

I know Thursdays isn't open yet, but I always carry around an emergency slushie - just in case - and this sounds like the perfect reason to break the glass on it. Unfortunately, when you break the glass on this emergency equipment, the alarm doesn't go off which means the firemen won't show up again....but then again, you're probably ready to have the house to yourself again after having so many people in and out all day.

Here you go, one green slushie to tide you over. I've got more of these emergency slushies available if one isn't enough. ;)

wolflady
10-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Yikes! What an ordeal! I'm really surprised at how quickly everyone acted. That's great. Do you have to empty the dehumidifiers, or are they large enough to whole 5 days worth of moisture?

Give those 3 orangies some lovin's for me! :D

I'll join you in having a slushie!!

**hugs**

Edwina's Secretary
10-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Oh Gini! Been there...done that....twice. What a good girl Annie was to call for you....

btw...Is That why so few houses in California have basements?????

gini
10-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Deb, you are a life saver - a slushie exactly what I need right now.

Karen - the dehumidifiers have tubes that run to the kitchen sink.

And Debbie - thanks for using the word "alarm" because it reminded me that the adjuster told me to have the alarm company come out and test the alarm system for me - and the insurance would pay for the call. Amazing.

Also - they will pay for the increased electrical usage because of the fans running for five days. WHAT??

gini
10-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Sara, that is a good question - I think it has to do with the climate here in California - but I am not sure if that is the correct answer of why we don't have basements. All of the older homes have what are called California basements. They are usually the size of my kitchen and are for just the furnace and hot water heater.

However, I know that the large (read huge) mansions in Pasadena that are just as old as my home - have full basements.

I have lived here 28 years and my last claim was in 1980 after a home burglary - but with a different insurance company.

This is my first claim with AUTO CLUB - I have been with them for years and have never (thank God) had to put in a claim on my auto or homeowners insurance. I asked "will my premium go up?" and the answer was no - due to my history. However, if I were to put in three more claims the answer is a definite YES and cancelation would follow.

Corinna
10-04-2005, 06:24 PM
(picture in my mind Anne with tools so mom has to call the fire men) Way to go Anne ,Gini how shamefull to NEED the fire guys. ;) Glad its all being taken care of so fast.

RICHARD
10-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Gini,
Your flood and request for a drink made me think of this song...

----------------------------

When the flood calls
You have no home, you have no walls
In the thunder crash
You're a thousand minds, within a flash
Don't be afraid to cry at what you see
The actors gone, there's only you and me
And if we break before the dawn, they'll
use up what we used to be.

Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent
in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive
Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.

------------------------------

Thanks for reminding me Kfamr.

Has anyone seen the new cat litter commercial where the lady falls out the window but is able to scoop out the dirty cat box?

Look at the last part of the commercial...

Slushie?????

DONE!

----------------------------------------

LOLOLOL

The P-TEAM to the rescue!

Pet
Talk
Emergency
Alcohol
Manager

momoffuzzyfaces
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Are you trying to make the firemen jealous with all the other teams visiting you today? ;) :D

slick
10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Gini, I don't know if this helps as I know nothing about water heater stuff but in my condo they have made us change all hoses for the washer, dishwasher and toilets to the steel braided ones to avoid such a thing from happening. Maybe you could look into it.

Gee, did you say "white rabbits" on the first of the month??? ;)

{{{hugs}}} to you on this wet day

gini
10-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Slick - guess what? The tube that "blew" was a steel braided pipe!!! Did I say that the adjuster is having it analyzed to find out why it blew - and if it was a faulty tube - they will go back to the manufacturer with my claim.
It won't effect me - but I think it is interesting how they now try to find out "who or what was at fault and make them responsible."

Richard, just loved the song - and the SLUSHIE
went down quite nicely!

shais_mom
10-04-2005, 11:57 PM
w:eek:w
you lucky........

;)
lol
just kidding Mom - I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!!!
KUDOS AND HUGS TO ANNIE!!!

slick
10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Gini, I was just thinking about the rest of your house and especially the importance of your back office. If the plumbers are coming back, could they possibly do an "all round" inspection to see if there are any other potential problems. Then you can get those fixed/replaced at the same time. It may not be covered, but why not be proactive.

...and speaking of your office, do you do regular PC backups?? Sorry, it's the IT coming out in me... :o

wolfie
10-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Wow! Way to go Annie!

I'm so sorry about the mess though. I'm glad everyone is taking care of it for you.

slick
10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Gini....update please???? What's happening????? When do you expect your house to be "normal" again with all the repairs/replacements done?

lbaker
10-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Just being selfish here but as far as I'm concerned Gini's house being "normal" will happen next July! See, ol' selfish Laurie strikes once again ;)

just me
10-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Good Girl Annie :d

gini
10-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Two more teams are showing up today. One is to check on the asbestos on the duct work - take samples for testing.

The other team is coming to thoroughly go over the furnace and check its condition.

So far everyone has been beyond professional - calling to make appointments and showing up on time. The adjuster even called me yesterday to double check and make sure everyone is following through.

He said he would put me up in a hotel while they install the carpeting because I have three cats - and he doesn't want my life and theirs to be so disrupted. (you have got to be kidding!!!)

The only thing that is slightly maddening is the sound of the five fans going non-stop and the two dehumidifiers. All are supposed to be left on through the weekend.

And Annie is so excited about her good job and resulting tuna and treats - that she is waking me up EVERY morning at 4:00 am........just in case, I got up and checked the house at that hour and then couldn't get back to sleep.
So of course, I have overslept and feel so groggy this morning.

wolflady
10-06-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm so glad that everyone has been so responsive! Put you up in a hotel, eh? Do you have your choice of hotel? :p

You must post some pictures of this soon!

**hugs**

Randi
10-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Gini, I'm so glad to hear eveyone is doing what they're supposed to. However, it's not funny to have to listen to fans etc.

A hotel? Well, it may be a good idea to get away from it all for a few days - providing it's a good one, and you can bring Rascal, Annie and Emma - and your laptop!

I'm thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts! :)

slick
10-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the update Gini. I can imagine how those fans must roar in your ear. At least you've got your office to escape to....I wonder if you could take the kitties out there with you to give them some relief too.

A hotel?? That's cool. :cool: The Rad was nice when I stayed there....just make sure you are out of the bar by midnight, otherwise you'll get thrown out. :D

Just being selfish here but as far as I'm concerned Gini's house being "normal" will happen next July!
:D :D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
10-06-2005, 03:48 PM
WOW! A hotel.
Will the kitties get to go too?
Somehow I can just see them (especially Annie) dialing Room Service!!! ;)

RICHARD
10-06-2005, 04:28 PM
He said he would put me up in a hotel while they install the carpeting because I have three cats - and he doesn't want my life and theirs to be so disrupted. (you have got to be kidding!!!)

Invite him over in July and show him what disruption really is!! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
10-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Gini,How scary! I'm sorry I'm a little late at posting but I finally had some time to read this thread. :o Annie sure is a smart kitty and I'm so glad to hear that you have wonderful insurance and that everyone who has been to your home has been very professional and nice. I'm sure that everything will be back to normal soon. Please take care. :)

mruffruff
10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Oh, Gini, I'm so sorry to hear of this. This really hasn't been a good year for your basement. If you're not cleaning out a dirty bath tub, it's the darned basement- again.

Hooray for Annie! Such a good girl.

(Did those firemen catch you in your nighty? ;) )

Randi
10-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Somehow I can just see them (especially Annie) dialing Room Service!!! ;)

:D :D :D You need that too, Gini! A few days of total relaxation. :)

gini
10-07-2005, 10:08 AM
(Did those firemen catch you in your nighty? ;) )

Wow! You guys ask the most personal of questions! :D :D :D

I managed to rummage around in my closet and drag out my best bathrobe! ;)

The cats really don't like those fans - you really can tell that the disruption has gotten to them too. They hang out in my bedroom most of the day - which is unusual.

I would bring them out to my office, but I don't think they would settle down enough to allow me to work.

Today they are coming back to check on the dehumidifiers and test to see where we are. Having a few very dry days has really helped the situation too.

Having everything torn up has given me the perfect excuse to just forget about house cleaning.

I think I will pass on the hotel.........they even took both cat carriers because I stored them in the basement and they were filled with water.
They will clean them and return them, but I don't know when.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
So how's everything progressing, Gini? Hopefully at least the fans are off by now.

Barbara
10-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Oh I missed all this while I was on vacation. Give Annie some scritchies from me too. Hope you are slowly going back to normal. What a shock it must have been.

lbaker
10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Gini will always have fans as long as she has all of us as friends ;) :D

gini
10-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Funny you should ask Debbie. I walked into my bathroom this morning in my bare feet and found A WET CARPET. Somebody has to support the plumbing industry - but why me?

Let's see - so far I have had the following people here for inspection.

Plumbers
Insurance adjuster
Renovation team - tons of stuff got soaked. They remove and repair?
Team to install dehumidifiers and fans - they came out three times.
Insurance furnace man - didn't like him one bit!!
My own furnace man - loved him - and he is far less expensive????
Woman to take asbestos sample. YUP it is asbestos.
Environmental inspection to obtain permit to remove asbestos.
Man from company that actually removes the asbestos and puts in
new furnace ducts.

Alarm company inspection of wiring that got soaked.

This afternoon an appraiser is coming over for final appraisal.

Tomorrow the Gas company is coming - my own call - just want to check everything out.

It is a darn good thing I work at home - or I would have been fired.

We haven't even gotten to the carpet stage yet ..........breakfast room and dining room carpet has been torn out.

You know, I don't mean to sound wonderful - but after watching Katrina and Rita - I am very lucky that I even have a home to bitch about. And I don't want to forget that!

momoffuzzyfaces
10-13-2005, 12:33 PM
What a way to get your house remodeled! :eek: ;)

Cinder & Smoke
10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
(Did those firemen catch you in your nighty? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif )

Wow! You guys ask the most personal of questions! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

I managed to rummage around in my closet and drag out my best bathrobe!

Bathrobe: Did you put it ON?? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

In my many years as a FireFighter ... I've been to many an Oh:dark:Thirty fire call ...
and noticed that most folks aren't always "dressed for company" when we arrive!

A MOST "memorable" call ...

We were toned out for an "Occupied House Fire" about 2:00 AM ...
I passed Unka Pat's house as he pulled out in his "Plumber's Mobile" - a RED
company pickup with a RED tool box body and an overhead rack with
a ladder and some pipe tied on.

First Engine had checked in, so Pat & I "went direct" to mark the driveway and
check on the occupants ... I parked off the drive at the road and suited up.
Pat pulled in, drove closer to the house, and pulled into the yard.

Front door was locked, so I came back towards Pat to check the attached garage
for a entry point ... when the Lady of the House appeared through the smoke
filling the garage with two kids and the family dog in tow.

ALL she saw was Pat suiting up beside his RED "Plumber's Mobile" ...

"THAT'S no ("freakin") FIRE TRUCK!!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif
I called for a FIRE truck!!!! ... WHERE'S the FIRE Trucks!???"

Pat isn't one to be at a loss for words, so I wondered why he just sort of stood there,
mouth agape, listening to her tirade. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

I hollered "PAT! Ask her if EVERYone is out of the house!"

She heard that, spun around towards ME, and and again stated the obvious -
"That's no *&*!#$!@* FIRE Truck!! - WHERE'S your *%$!* FIRE Trucks???!"

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif

OMG!!
I quickly understood why Pat was at a loss for words!
"Mom" was a GOOD Lookin Babe -
who apparently liked to sleep Lightly clad! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Cuz there she stood - almost in the BUFF!!
Granted, she HAD slipped into a FLIMSY robe - she just hadn't *BUTTONED* it!

I though to myself "I'd LOVE to stay and chat ... but I better get a plan together
for when my "*$#!*&#" Fire Trucks start to pull in!"

We made a good "stop" on the fire (wood burner in the basement overheated
and burnt a good size hole in the main floor), but I kept wondering where
all my Fiur Guyz were???
Answer: "Chatting" with the Lady of the House out in the driveway! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

Pat STILL likes to tell that Fiur Tail!!

momoffuzzyfaces
10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
LOL! Phred that is so funny!!!
Maybe gini could try dressing like THAT next time!!! :eek: :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Maybe gini could try dressing like THAT next time!!! :eek: :D

Hmmm....sounds to me like if you want the firemen to actually do something besides stand around with their mouths agape, you might want to put something more than FLIMSY robe on....and at the very least BUTTON UP! :D :D

I don't know though....if my house was really on fire, I think I'd worry about getting me, Terry and the cats out before I worried about what I was wearing.... ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Gee, more wet carpet, Gini? :( Well...I guess if you're looking on the bright side of things, if it's going to get wet it may as well get now when the house is being torn apart rather than a week after everything is supposedly done.

Glad things are progressing, slow but sure. By next summer's BBQ the place should be done?

gini
10-14-2005, 12:53 AM
I just saw these latest threads - it has been a really long day. And thank you Phred - I sure needed the laugh.

Darn - it never occurred to me to LEAVE THE BATHROBE OFF!! What a wasted opportunity. And just think I had a hot tub all ready in the basement - all three/four feet of water (well a bit muddy - but who is fussy when you have nine firemen around?)

It is starting to dawn on me how insurance works these days. For example:

Guy #1 - yes she has carpeting.
Guy #2 - yes, it is wet.
Guy #3 - I will test it to be sure.
Guy #4 - I better get another sample - that isn't wet.
Guy #5 - I heard you have carpeting - I am here to measure it.

Seriously, today I had a guy who said he was "going to make my day" - (well, if you know me and my sense of humor) - he was an appraiser. What did he do? All he did was measure the carpeting................he didn't tell me anything - didn't give me any estimates - and he brought a buddy - so two of them it took to measure this stuff. Did he make my day? Not exactly!

But I am starting to understand why my homeowners policy is so expensive.
It takes a "team" to do anything - and teams of them have been traipsing through my house since last Tuesday morning - a week ago!!

I did get the first furnace estimate and "choke" "choke" - I still don't know what the insurance is willing to pay. But hey, ain't life grand?

Yes, the wet bathroom rug was a treat - it was an unseated "O" ring..........
related to nothing - just one of those things. This has been such a special October - I can hardly wait for Halloween :D

shais_mom
10-14-2005, 12:10 PM
"going to make my day":D

I'd rather a fireman said that to me! ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Yes, the wet bathroom rug was a treat - it was an unseated "O" ring..........
related to nothing - just one of those things. This has been such a special October - I can hardly wait for Halloween :D
Um, you might want to feel around the toilet. I think "O" ring is what they call the seal unter the john. It may be leaking. Hope not! But that water came from somewhere. Maybe one of the kids expressed their disgust with all the company or something??? :D

gini
10-15-2005, 01:34 PM
I am sure you all are sick of my story by now - but this morning I added up how many men and women have been through my home for various duties related to the damage caused by one broken water heater hose.

9 FIREMEN
1 INSURANCE ADJUSTER
2 MEN TO INSTALL DEHUMIDIFIERS AND FANS (this stuff ran for a week!)
2 DIFFERENT MEN TO CHECK ON ABOVE
2 ADDITIONAL MEN TO REMOVE ABOVE
1 WOMAN TO TAKE ASBESTOS SAMPLE
2 FURNACE MEN
1 FURNACE MAN (my own call)
1 MAN TO ESTIMATE REMOVAL OF ASBESTOS AND DUCTS
1 ALARM COMPANY INSPECTOR
1 GAS COMPANY INSPECTOR
2 MEN TO REMOVE DAMAGED ITEMS IN BASEMENT
2 PLUMBERS

Aside from the firemen - that's a lot of appointments - no wonder I am so behind in my work!!

And I haven't even gotten to the "repair" stage, aside from the plumbing.

Now some of these guys are really cute - wanna visit me girls???

momoffuzzyfaces
10-15-2005, 01:37 PM
What? No partridge in a pear tree? :eek: :D