PDA

View Full Version : new kitten vomiting

lailamara
03-19-2002, 08:56 AM
One of my new aby kittens 12 weeks old is throwing up his dry food...2x yesterday and once this morning. He had no problems for the first 3 days we had him. His sister has no problems either. Later this morning I gave him some canned food and he had no problems keeping that down. He is otherwise in great shape and the vet said he was perfect last friday when I had the initial check-up. Has anyone had problems like this ? I really would prefer he ate dry cause it's better in the long run. ( Science Diet for now cause that's what he ate before and when settled I'm switching to Wysong ) .
Worried new mom.

Gio
03-19-2002, 10:35 AM
It has happened to my cats before just because they were gulping it down so fast, without even chewing it, as if they didn't get any food for about a week! :rolleyes:

Sorry I cab't be more helpful.

Welcome to Pet Talk!

purrley
03-19-2002, 10:56 AM
I've had a pukey cat for years. I'd try feeding you baby just a little bit a couple times day. Cats will definately overeat if you let them. My cat Spence, inhales his food like he thinks he's never gonna eat again and it always comes back up within 15 minutes after he's done:(

K & L
03-23-2002, 07:56 AM
One of our latest additions have been vomiting daily. Finally took him to the vet yesterday. They did an X-ray to make sure he didn't have a blockage of some sort. Come to find out, he was basically constipated. The vet said since he wasn't going, whenever he ate there was no room for the food so it would cause him to throw it up instead of coming out the other end. They put him on some hairball medication to help lubricate the bowels. If he doesn't improve in a few days, we have to take him back. So far he hasn't vomited.

lailamara
03-23-2002, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input . I switched him to the Wysong and have had no problems now for a few days. I guess some foods just don't agree with every cat. Not having had kittens for 15 years I tend to worry about every little thing. He only had canned food once when I was worried about him not eating. Now every day he goes and sits on the rug where I fed it to him and looks and meows expectantly. How do they learn so fast.:p

Randi
03-23-2002, 08:08 AM
lailamara!

Welcome to Pet Talk!

As Purrley & KL suggested, I'm sure it's a good idea to feed him just a little at a time and also try the hairball diet. You can also get some dry food for kittens (Royal Canine) which are very small in size, my male cat prefer that and he has never vomitted.

Good luck! :)