PDA

View Full Version : Blue cats

wayne0214
03-19-2002, 07:30 AM
After looking over today's (3/19) COTD, this may sound elementary, but can all blue cats be classified as a Russian Blue, or are some of them of different breeds, that is a breed (or mix) with different coat colors, such as a tortie or tabby?

I have one totally blue cat (and a new kitten which is a long-hair silver-blue), and I also know that she (Bluzette) is part Abyssinian. I am assuming that a Russian Blue is a separate breed of cat. :confused:

......wayne

Karen
03-19-2002, 07:43 AM
Russian Blues are an actual breed of cat, just like the Dalmatian is a breed of dog. So while you may have a blue cat, that doesn't mean she's a Russian Blue any more than having a white dog with black spots means you've got a Dalmatian! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-19-2002, 09:33 AM
Hi Wayne, I believe there are British Blues also. I believe that's what Efrat's 3 are, although two of them are white. :confused:

If I remember correctly, the British Blues are stockier/beefier than the Russian Blues.

I always thought Russian Blues were the only ones out there too, until I saw the Brits, so you might want to check them out.

AvaJoy
03-19-2002, 08:51 PM
The Russian Blue is similar to the Chartreux or Chartreax or HOWEVER it is spelled . . . if Chuck was posting, we would be privy to the photo links to both breeds so we could compare . . .

I think the French Chartreux is more heavily jowled . . . we had a cat that would come to dine quite awhile back and I believed he was possibly one . . . then again, who knows:confused: . . . he was solid gray (or blue as the show people refer to gray) with golden amber eyes and a big, wide face . . . not due to being intact because sadly he was hit by a car while crossing to our property and when we buried him we noticed he had been neutered. We were working on gaining his trust, and I have a photo of him but it is very poor lighting so he is barely visible; he would not let us close enough to touch, but we caught him snoozing on the porch several times; he must have regarded it as a safe haven. I wish I had been able to trap him and maybe intervene to prevent his demise . . . :(

sasvermont
03-20-2002, 03:08 PM
maybe it will work now that I made the pic smaller/and larger but not tooooo large...yes, it worked...anyway Wayne, the blue kittens are the lighter and smaller ones in this photo. My two kittens are the two on the left, hugging....awwwwww.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-20-2002, 03:13 PM
And let me guess, your two are the ones that are cuddled and the one has his/her "arm" around the other. :)

Your kitties are such good buddies. I wish my two would sleep like that, but if one gets too close to the other, whap! out comes the paw. :rolleyes:

4 feline house
03-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
are some of them tabby?

Of course there are blue tabbies:

http://home.swbell.net/lgsees/peaches8.jpg

http://home.swbell.net/lgsees/peaches7.jpg

AvaJoy
03-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Neato pics, 4Feline! Now I know what Lily's coloring is (duh - why didn't it ever dawn on me before??) and I can tastefully refer to her as a Blue Tabby - she will love the distinction!:D ;) :cool:

AmberLee
03-21-2002, 10:24 PM
:( :o :eek:
Dense question coming. I'd heard that gray cats were referred to as blues, so when I got my gray tabbies I expected they would be called blue tabbies, officially. Was very surprised to have the vet's office call them silver tabbies, instead. (Yes, they explained it, but I was so new to cat-lore and in info overload already I didn't understand a word.)

Is silver a subset of blue in cat world? If not, what is the distinction between the colors?

4 feline house
03-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Silver tabby:

http://www.alken-murray.com/Speedy.jpg

Blue tabby:

http://leden.tref.nl/~celeborn/betyar.jpg

gwen021399
03-22-2002, 01:03 PM
I thought my Jack was at least part Russian Blue, but the vet told me that he has some Siamese in him. He just a regular domestic kitty, but he is colored like a Blue kitty.

Attached a picture of him.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Jack is adorable!!! I love all these kitten pictures, although the urge for a kitten must be quashed for the time being. :( We were offered a beautiful, very lovable Norwegian Forest Cat, but had to turn it down. Terry says two are enough, especially considering the size of a Norwegian. :( I'm still pouting over that one. :( But keep the pictures coming. That way I can get my fix here! :)

sasvermont
03-22-2002, 02:55 PM
T & P's Mom,

I feel the same way. I want to adopt cats and dogs all the time. I have purchased books on rabbits..... I just love all animals so and thank goodness I can control myself to a certain degree. I would love to have several cats but my current two hardly get enough attention from me now and if I came up with more animals, they would really be low on the attention scale. I do play with them, after dinner, dishes, laundry, tv programs, walks, telephone, computer you know!

I get my fixes here, I do believe!

:rolleyes:

Efrat
03-24-2002, 03:05 AM
Hi Wayne, I believe there are British Blues also. I believe that's what Efrat's 3 are, although two of them are white.

let me explain...Blue as some already said here is a colour of gray in any cats. There are brotish blue, Russian Blue Blue persains and more.... all Korat and chartrax are blue...

3 of my babies are british short hair but only Tsoomi is Blue, Milki and Kfitzi are Colour-point british shorthair, same breed, different colours...