PDA

View Full Version : say WHAT?

cali
10-03-2005, 08:02 PM
ok I am supposed to see a councler for my social anxiety, but because I am almost 18 I have to go through mental health, now my mom said that they called for me today but under no cirmumstances will they say a thing to her, rather I have to call them and talk to them personally, and go alone etc.. :confused: ummmm if I COULD do that I would not have a problem now would I? :o my mom said "thats like having a councling session for people afraid of heights on top of a sky scraper and wondering why noone shows up" I mean really, it makes no sence, I have social anxiety, it scares the h*ll out of me to phone someone, I avoid it at all costs, I can go meet persnally with someone alone, but I cant just walk up to a total stranger and start asking then questions, that is exactly why I am supposed to see them in the first place :o

king2005
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
& thats why they are paid big bucks hehehe

Jessika
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Maybe its part of the therapy?? I'm sure they've realized this and know what they're doing :)

cali
10-03-2005, 08:27 PM
lol I thought of that, but its actually because of confidentiality, thats why they wont even tell my mom their name, mental health is just the go between, they are not an actual place, ore like a call center in which you explain the problem and they direct you to an actual councler. if they refuse to talk to my mom then frankly me calling them is never going to happen.

Jessika
10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
You said you're ALMOST 18, you aren't 18 yet, so they can disclose your medical information to your parents. :) In America anyway, not sure about Canada.

Laura's Babies
10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Maybe you need to sign a waiver so they can talk to your Mom...?

king2005
10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
in Canada its 18 for whatever reason, since you can move out at 16 & you can have sex at 14 :rolleyes:

Age laws are really stupid here

cali
10-03-2005, 11:55 PM
lol I like our age laws here, drinking age makes no sence to me in the US, I mean you are an adult at 18, but you cant drink till your 21 :confused: ok thats off topic lol basicly I am at the edge, there are 2 secontions to go to for things like councling, for under 18 you go through child and youth, but for 18 and over your go through mental health. I kept being sent back and forth because I will be 18 this month, because its so soon I am too old for child and youth but because I am not yet 18 I am to young for mental health, finally they decided that since I am just about 18 they mid as well send me to mental health, but because mental health is meant for 18 and older the confidence is in me alone, not my mom. if I were at least able to pick up a phone and force myself to call, I would not have a problem, because even though it would scare me, I COULD do it. my problem is that I CANT do it, I am too afraid of feeling like an idiot, see I dont care what other people think of me, they can think whatever they want as far as I am concerned, I have never been afraid of what others think. I am afraid of how I feel. by the way I DONT like being encouraged or complimented, it embarresses me and makes me blush, and not once in my entire life have I blushed and not been teased about it, I dont care what others think, but I dont like being called tomato face either.

JenBKR
10-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Mental health is the go between, but the counselor can really only talk to you also. It's the law, it makes no difference what age you are. Confidentiality and ethics are extremely strict in counseling - a counselor can loose his/her license - and their malpractice insurance is already so expensive.

kuhio98
10-04-2005, 10:46 AM
You CAN do it and you MUST do it. I think they want to know if you're really serious about counseling. Do you love yourself enough and want help enough to do something that is uncomfortable for you? YES, YES, YES! Just do it. Get through it and fall apart later. Life is too short to live like this. The only thing worse that living almost 18 years like this would be to live 19, 20, 21.... years like this. The important thing is to start counseling so that you can begin to practice social skills. The more you do so, the more you will see that everyone is nervous, they've just practiced and have gained more confidence. Come on ~ pick up the phone and give them a call. You owe it to yourself.