PDA

View Full Version : Collar Warning - Personal Experience

shutterbug0303
10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey everyone. I hate to just keep checking in like this. I just had to share my experience this morning though...what an eye-opener. I know we've had a lot of discussions/debate on wearing collars all the time or not, etc...but after today, I'm having new thoughts on my girls wearing their collars constantly. Especially when I'm not watching closely.

I woke up this morning with the two danes playing at the end of my bed...nothing unusual until I heard crying/whimpering and a little low growling involved. I clapped my hands and told them to knock it off...the weird part - Skye never moved away from Sahara like usual. The crying got louder. Ijumped to the end of my bed and to my horror, Skye's bottom jaws was STUCK in Sahara's collar. It seemed that she got her mouth in there and somehow flipped around so it was twisted tight. That meant that Skye's bottom jaw was being squeezed...and so was Sahara's neck. I raced around looking for something to cut the collar with since the pressure was so tight, I couldn't get the clasp to unlatch. I finally found a pair of scissors and tried to calm and reassure both of them while I cut frantically to free them without hurting either one!! Sahara was getting quite mad at Skye for not getting away from her and was growling a bit more, but I rescued both before anything got out of hand. Skye and Sahara were both fine...red lips for Skye and a little nervousness from Sahara...but what if I hadn't of been right there?!?!? They play outside most of the morning without me and it could have easily happened then...

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone. I'm in no way trying to sway anyone with collars one way or another. I would still feel more comfortable with them wearing one incase they escaped somehow...but I also don't want them hurt either?!?! It's a tough decision :(

Uabassoon
10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I can understand not wanting your dogs to wear collars. I don't put collars on my cats after a misfortunate accident that took the life of my Zasper. However if your dogs are not microchipped please make sure to do so! Microchipping is very important especially if you decide not to keep collars and tags on your dog.

Suki Wingy
10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I think they have collars specially designed to snap off in situations like that. I am glad they are both ok!

finn's mom
10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Oh, my gosh! That's scary! I know I had a cat that got her own jaw stuck in her collar once and her hind foot stuck in it one other time! That was scary, too! I'm glad you were able to take care of the situation.

cali
10-03-2005, 07:48 PM
we had a silimier thing happen once, my dogs are never left alone to play without anyone around, when nobody is there 4 are kenneld and Happy is loose. when Happy was a puppy, she and perky would be put in the bathroom together when we were gone, and they would play, one day Happy got her jaw stuck in perkys collar, after that collars always came off when they were together without supervision, and now the dogs are never together without supervision, with 3 its just to keep em out of trouble, Perky is only locked up to seperate her from Happy, cuz Perky hates Happy.

ParNone
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Yeh I've seen first hand with Murph, how easy it is for them to get a collar stuck on something. So mine don't wear collars around the house or backyard at all. The Collies are microchipped and none of the 3 try to run away from me, so I feel in my case that's the safer route. If I had a dog prone to running away though, I'd have a different take on it I'm sure.

Par...

Jessika
10-03-2005, 07:56 PM
I can understand not wanting your dogs to wear collars. I don't put collars on my cats after a misfortunate accident that took the life of my Zasper. However if your dogs are not microchipped please make sure to do so! Microchipping is very important especially if you decide not to keep collars and tags on your dog.

Even with microchipping though you should still have tags on your dogs, because different brands of microchips can only be read by specific 'wands', and most shelters aren't equipped with a 'wand' that is able to read every frequency of microchips out there, so it may come up as not having a microchip at all, when you do. So microchops are NOT a replacement for having tags.

I do agree that microchipping is very important, though, and I plan on getting my pups microchipped at the next vet visit. :)

shutterbug0303
10-03-2005, 07:57 PM
The girls are chipped and not proned to run...so I'm really thinking of leaving the collars off.

I think Skye is just trying to be suicidal these days?!?!?! She somehow managed to get her head stuck in her crate door the other day...while I was still home...THANK GOD! I was able to free her in no time...but what if?!?! Between her tail, head, and now mouth, I'm wondering if I should go get her some counseling or something?!?! :confused:

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Great points!!

labrado_retriever123
10-03-2005, 07:58 PM
There are some collars that snap when things happen like that. I am glad your dogs are OK. Try to get one of those collars.

Uabassoon
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
So microchops are NOT a replacement for having tags.

No matter what you are going to have some people that don't put collars on their dogs, in fact several people here just stated that they don't for safety issues. I wasn't saying microchips should be a replacement. But rather saying that if a person makes the choice not to keep a collar on their dog they should at least make sure their dog has some other form of identification.

Pam
10-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Exactly the same thing happened to me several years ago with two of my previous poodles. I was in another room and heard Ashley (mini poodle) yelping and came running to find her hanging by her lower jaw from Whitney's (standard poodle) collar. It was easy to get Ashley's jaw out of the collar (after I stopped shaking!) as it wasn't twisted. After that incident neither wore collars 24/7. I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn't been home.

Bella does not wear a collar in the house but Ripley does. I have three reasons for this. 1) Ripley was originally a stray when I got him and doesn't have a good recall other than in the house and the back yard. 2) Ripley is the one to initiate that type of play with her so he would be the one likely to latch onto a collar and 3) Bella is larger so if, God forbid, she did get into that situation she would not be hanging.

It is amazing the trouble that dogs can get into! :eek:

Jessika
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
No matter what you are going to have some people that don't put collars on their dogs, in fact several people here just stated that they don't for safety issues. I wasn't saying microchips should be a replacement. But rather saying that if a person makes the choice not to keep a collar on their dog they should at least make sure their dog has some other form of identification.

Oh no I know its better to be microchipped without a collar than have no identification at all, but people often overlook the fact and think that BECAUSE their dog is microchipped that means they don't have to provide proper ID tags, which they should anyway. And I know YOU weren't saying they should be a replacement, but just wanted to get that thought out to the general public to raise a little awareness, I suppose. Because all too often have I heard stories about owners who microchipped their pets and thought they didn't have to have ID tags, the dog got loose and guess what, they never got it back. My neighbor actually adopted a dog from the pound and she DID have ID tags on her, she got loose and they didn't see her for a couple of weeks.. weeks go by and a lady at some shelter calls them and asked if they knew that their dog was microchipped and rightfully belonged to another woman. So they didn't get their dog back, because whatever shelter they adopted her from didn't pick up on that particular microchips frequency.

AllAmericanPUP
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
yea there are collars designed to un clip if something like this was to happen
http://www.keepsafecollar.com/

shutterbug0303
10-03-2005, 08:18 PM
yea there are collars designed to un clip if something like this was to happen
http://www.keepsafecollar.com/

hhmm...seems like an interesting design. I've always steered away from collars with plastic clips because they break so easily with strong dogs like the danes. But I like the fact that the metal rings on either side of the clip can be used for a leash.

Something to look into.....

dukedogsmom
10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm glad neither of them were hurt seriously. It kind of sounds like a freak accident. I don't have to worry about Duke because he's by himself. Microchipping is a great idea, though. I don't know if I'd be crazy about the collars with plastic clips, either.

sammy101
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
wow glad they werent injured!
If your kids have their collars on,just think of how much fast you'd get your dog back if someone were to find/catch them.They woud have your number on their tag,so that person would be able to call right away,instead of having to take them to a shelter or to a vet.Just a thought :) .Mine always have their collars on,i get very paranoid when they dont have them on.

Shelteez2
10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
I too have witnessed two dogs playing and one getting it's mouth stuck under the other's collar. Not a fun situation at all.

I choose to not have collars on my dogs. They do not bolt and are not prone to running away. In fact I don't even know where my dogs collars are, they jut never wear them.

Cincy'sMom
10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Although our three of ours are microchipped, they wear their collars all the time. One time I didn't get the gate closed tight, and the dogs got out. A neighbor got our number of Spot's collar, and called. They were all back in the front yard before I knew they were gone, but if a neighbor hadn't seen them right away and called, who knows?

On the other side of it, Cincy got her collar stuck on the van seat one day, as we were on our way to the dog park. I was on the Interstate and heard her breathing really weird. I pulled off at an exit, and found she was being choked by her collar. We use premier collars, so their is no clasp to unbuckle. I had to untwist it and free it, without taking it off her head. I was scared to death! I now keep something in each car that can be used to cut a seatbelt, or a dog collar if the need arises, but I still feel the tags are too important, to not keep their collars on them.

wolfsoul
10-03-2005, 08:46 PM
That exact same thing happened to some people I know. They were upstairs, and heard the dogs playing downstairs. The next thing they knew, there was some growling. When they went downstairs, they saw that Cayenne's tooth was caught on Cutter's collar, and it twisted the collar tight. When they cut the collar off, Cutter was dead -- they had to revive him.

Visa only wears her collar when she is supervised or outside. I worry about the gate unlatching and her getting out, so I always put it on her before she goes outside, just incase. She has a tattoo, but it's on her belly so someone might not see it, and she isn't microchipped because they don't check for microchips here. Collars are the best way to identify a dog here.

I'm glad that neither dog was hurt badly. :)

areias
10-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Our dogs wear collars only while going somewhere. Sometimes after a bath they all wear their handsome/pretty collars, but that's about it. It's a big risk. They are all microchipped. I had an incident with my old husky mix once...I was at a carnival/town get together thing (with food, boothes, live music) and someone had let a young child hold there overexcited German Shepherd..he got loose and rushed over to pick a fight with my guy, and somehow in the scuffle his collar actually clicked into my dogs leash-the clip was not the kind you pull down, its the kind that pushed in, and they were stuck together until the owners were able to come over and help (I sure didn't want to reach down and all over a strange GSD). Everyone was ok but it was kind of scary.

AllAmericanPUP
10-03-2005, 11:45 PM
for those who dont like their dogs to wear collars...what about harnesses? you can attach ID tags and what not to harnesses...

bckrazy
10-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Oh no I know its better to be microchipped without a collar than have no identification at all, but people often overlook the fact and think that BECAUSE their dog is microchipped that means they don't have to provide proper ID tags, which they should anyway.

that's DEFINITELY a valid point, however, collars with tags are not fool-proof either! One of my closest friends had a Goldenx who was wearing his collar and tags in the yard while her Mom was home... he slipped through a hole under the fence, and his collar was snagged on the fence. He was hit by a car on a nearby street before her Mom even realized he was gone. They later found out that AC had picked him up, and because he was badly injured and had no tags or a microchip they euthanized him on the spot. Collars CAN slip off, and tags CAN be broken from key rings. Microchips are permanent, and if you get a chip from a company such as Avid or Home Again that provides free scanners to any shelter or vet, you're very very likely to get your dog back even if the collar is gone.

Gonzo wears his collar with tags most of the time, except for at night, and it's a safety release collar so it would hopefully break off in an emergency. I'll definitely reconsider collars all the time when we get another dog and something like that can happen :( Poor Sahara and Skye! I'm sooo glad they're ok.

Vette
10-04-2005, 05:16 AM
Yeeks! :eek:
Glad to hear both dogs are okay though.

jackie
10-04-2005, 05:21 AM
One of my closest friends had a Goldenx who was wearing his collar and tags in the yard while her Mom was home... he slipped through a hole under the fence, and his collar was snagged on the fence. He was hit by a car on a nearby street before her Mom even realized he was gone. They later found out that AC had picked him up, and because he was badly injured and had no tags or a microchip they euthanized him on the spot.

That is heartbreaking. :(

senorita02
10-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Even if they had the collar on that snaps off, if she wasnt there to snap it off the dogs could of been strangele & died.
My sister left her house once, and forgot something and turned back went into the house and found one of her huskys somehow got her collar stuck on something and was being strangled, luckily she had gone back to the house, or things could have been bad.
My two never wear there collars in the house or when i am not home with them.
Outside, i put there collars on and they are microchipped also.

That must of been sooo scary JUDY!!! I am so glad to hear they are both ok!

lv4dogs
10-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Wow that sure is scary.

My dogs never wear their collars if I am not present, end even then they rarely wear them unless we are outside. And when they do wear their collars and we are at home I put them on loose enough so that they slip over their heads if need be & I also only buy the quick relese collars (with the clip instead of the buckle).

Years ago Nanook got his tags stuck in the heater vent & he was frantically trying to get free. What if I was not there, worse yet what if the heat was on? It took me a good 5-10 minutes (seemed like forever) and some struggling to get him free.

They are all chipped (well Kaige isn't yet, he's getting chipped next month when he gets neutered.. boy how time flies), they don't wander far from me either & have good recalls too.

Glad everything is ok now!

pitc9
10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm glad to hear both of your girls are okay!

My dogs are prone to run away
(well, Sierra is, Buddy would only follow to keep her safe)
They are both microchipped and they both wear collars with tags, Sierra Always has hers on, and Buddy's comes off at night because he walks around the house a few times a night and the jingels of his tags wakes me up.
I think I will be buying two of those breakways collars Allamerican Pup posted. Those sound perfect!!!
Once Sierra ran away with my in-laws RB Rasquel and they were saved because Sierra had her tags on, and two 9 year old boys coaxed them into their garage and read her tag and called me.

LKPike
10-04-2005, 09:47 AM
frankie and jillie wear theirs constantly, jillian doesnt like running around without it. (her tags jingle and she likes that) both the collars are too big for them, purposly. they can escape it easily if they ever need to, although we've never had an issue with it.

flamepony12
10-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Poor girls! I'm so glad they're okay. It must have been scary. :(

My dogs' collars are on constantly as well. They are loosened at night, and could easily slip out of them if needed.

cyber-sibes
10-04-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm glad your two were ok! This is quite an eye-opener for me, I've never heard of collars being such a problem.. About the worst we've had is Sherman getting his tags stuck between the boards on the deck - both times he pulled so hard it ripped the taags off, but he was fine. Mine always have their collars on. Even though they are both microchipped, I worry about them getting out of their kennel and runing loose. Star got out of the yard as a puppy, but the city animal warden happened to be in the neighborhood, picked her up, scanned her, & because she DID have a microchip, she was immediatly returned. Another time a roofer left the gate open and she got out, but a neighbor put her in their yard and called the number on her tags & we got her back right away. So both forms of ID have served us well!

gemini9961
10-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I am so glad they are okay. Yikes. :eek:

k9krazee
10-04-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm so glad you were right there and they are both okay!!

Thandi
10-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Boy, now I'm worried! both mine have their collars on 24/7 because Chloe has run away on a few occasions when she's managed to escape. Mika ALWAYS plays by hanging onto Chloe's collar, and until now I always thought it was sweet. Both are also microchipped, but through the shelter where we adopted them, not through my name. Chloe could easily pass for a coyote at night so she has to wear a collar, and bright luminous green at that!

I'm definitely going to investigate those other collars. Thanks!

Jessika
10-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Boy, now I'm worried! both mine have their collars on 24/7 because Chloe has run away on a few occasions when she's managed to escape. Mika ALWAYS plays by hanging onto Chloe's collar, and until now I always thought it was sweet. Both are also microchipped, but through the shelter where we adopted them, not through my name. Chloe could easily pass for a coyote at night so she has to wear a collar, and bright luminous green at that!

I'm definitely going to investigate those other collars. Thanks!

Go to 24petwatch.com and enter their information to your name, NOW.

If they're just registered through and to the vet's office where they were chipped at, if a disaster were to happen and the vet's office were to get hit, then all the data is lost and they might as well not even be microchipped. So always enter your information online at 24hourpetwatch.com!

Thandi
10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks Jessika, I'll do it tonight at home when I can get hold of the chip numbers.