PDA

View Full Version : As Promised...Klee Kai info!

Kymcole25
10-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Well....I guess I'll start out with a copy of the breed standard, which pretty much covers the "look" of a Klee Kai Breed Standard (http://itsmydog.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=10&domain=7&webdir=akkinmd).

Personality:
All of our dogs have different personalities. Some are absolute angels, while others need a little more looking after. I guess it really depends on how you bring a Klee Kai up. Just like any other dog, if you start from the begining telling your pup what is right and what's wrong you won't have a problem with training...but if you wait, you will deffinetly incounter problems. I personally think an AKK would be a great dog for children, they love to sit in a child's lap and cuddle with them...but then they are suckers for belly rubs!

Activity:
Klee Kai are VERY active dogs. They would run around in the backyard for hours if allowed. They also love it when their "mommy and daddy" run with them. We currently have 8 AKK, and out of those, 4 can be trusted off leash to run. I wouldn't recomend it with the breed, unless your totaly sure the dog won't go anywhere. We had a couple scares with one of our boys, but thats another story!

Diet/Health Issues:
While Klee Kai are known to be very healthy dogs, there are some out there who have health problems. The main health problem in the AKK breed is pancreatitus, sp, which can put them in intensive care for a couple days.
Recomended food for an AKK would be Merrik, Cloud Star, Bil-Jac, or Eagle Pak

I know I'm leaving out some stuff, but it's outside time for the doggies...Be sure to let me know of any questions, I would be happy to answer them!

wolfsoul
10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Welcome to PT. :) My friend really wants a klee kai but can't afford the initial selling price. :(

Ginger's Mom
10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
They sound like great dogs. :) I will have to pay more attention and keep my eye out for UKC or specialty shows. Your dogs are adorable.

cyber-sibes
10-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Interesting description of breed standard. I was a little surprized to see this:

"The Alaskan Klee Kai is a small version of the Alaskan Husky with a wedge-shaped head featuring a striking masked face, prick ears, and a double coat."

because it's my understanding that Alaskan husky is not a true breed. (I know you probably hear this all the time. Maybe you can clarify?)

I quote from http://www.lusitano.dk/AlaskanHusky/races.htm :
The Alaskan Husky is not a breed in its own; it is more a type of dog. This might be a bit confusing, but to our knowledge the Alaskan Husky is not recognized as a breed anywhere in the world. The Alaskan Husky breed is very young and because of the different lines, it is difficult to characterize the dog in an uniform standard. Many mushers consider the breed as a Hybrid Dog or a Siberian Husky "with something else in it...". This "something" can be Setters, wolf, Sight Hound or anything that gives speed and endurance.

Klee Kai's look like minature Siberians to me -- but probably because of my own bias. They are REALLY ADORABLE! I want one! Is it expected that the AKC will recognize the Alaskan Klee Kai as a registered breed anytime soon?

gemini9961
10-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I would surely like to see more pics of your group. They are really cute.

Kymcole25
10-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I too, think they favor Sibe's...but then I'm not the one who wrote the breed standard. It may also be that I have grown up with Sibe's and never actually seen an Alaskan.

We have been trying to AKC for some time now, and last time I checked the AKK will not even be considered for another 50 years.

cyber-sibes
10-03-2005, 12:57 PM
[/QUOTE}We have been trying to AKC for some time now, and last time I checked the AKK will not even be considered for another 50 years.[/QUOTE]
:eek: Why???? Seems odd, do they need a 50-year history/geneology or something? At least the UKC has recognized them!

Kymcole25
10-03-2005, 01:03 PM
[/QUOTE}We have been trying to AKC for some time now, and last time I checked the AKK will not even be considered for another 50 years.
:eek: Why???? Seems odd, do they need a 50-year history/geneology or something? At least the UKC has recognized them![/QUOTE]

Lol...it is kinda crazy, isn't it!

We have been told that since the breed is so young, the AKC cannot accept them, to check out history, genes, ect.
Yes, we are very thankful UKC has recognized them!!!

Glacier
10-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Interesting description of breed standard. I was a little surprized to see this:

"The Alaskan Klee Kai is a small version of the Alaskan Husky with a wedge-shaped head featuring a striking masked face, prick ears, and a double coat."

because it's my understanding that Alaskan husky is not a true breed. (I know you probably hear this all the time. Maybe you can clarify?)

The Alaskan Husky is not a breed. It is any dog specifically bred to pull a sled. Can be any combination of breeds. They can have any color coat, eyes, any size, any temperment. The most "trendy" alaskans right now are predominantly german short-haired pointer and coonhound crosses. All of my dogs, with the exception of the four purebreds, are considered Alaskan Huskies. There is no consistency even among my little pack--I have blue eyed alaskans, brown eyed ones, prick ears, flop ears, lots of different coat colors from red to solid white and tons of different temperments; they range in size from 35 pounds to 120. The only unifying feature is that they all come from sled dog lines.