PDA

View Full Version : For teens and moms of teens... (womanly issues)

catnapper
10-03-2005, 07:35 AM
My 15 year old daughter has some very painful menstrual cycles. She often is doubled over in pain during her "time of the month" and you can tell just by looking at her that she's feeling awful. She is a trooper and never misses school, but she does cut out her sports (which she lives for -- she just can't tolerate standing and running)

She takes OTC stuff like Pamprin, Motrin, etc to help the pain. She takes hot showers, uses heating pads, etc to deal as well.

My husband for YEARS swore cramps were something women made up (I am NOT kidding when I say this) and he said it was something just had to "shake off". Then he sees what my daughter is like and he's finally convinced they are real. You see, my daughter is a tough little girl. She plays soccer and plays a physical game of running into people, heading the balls, etc. She *always* walks off the field with a new lump or bruise. He's seen her collide heads with a girl and come up with a concussion... and even THAT didn't stop her from wanting to play. So when he sees her sitting on the bench, pale faced as if she's about to pass out and begging the couch NOT to put her in.... well, he suddenly reallizes cramps are very real.

He's finally let me take her to the doctor to see what can be done. But really, what CAN be done for her? The only thing I've ever heard of doctors being able to do was prescribe "the pill". Hubby absolutely flat-out says NO WAY to that one. As a mom, I kinda agree that giving a 15 year old the pill is not every parent's dream because the feeling is she'll think she's now invicible and has a license to have lots of sex. I don't know... this daughter is too level headed to do that..... but still, she has had the same boyfriend for a year now :o

Anyway, is there anything else they can do for her with today's medicine and medical technology, or is the old tried and true the only way? Would it be so bad to put her on the pill if it means no more pain?

Karen
10-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Putting her on the pill will regulate the hormones that are causing her this pain, I guess. It doesn't give her license to have sex, as the pill doesn't protect from any STDs or any emotional consequences. Having her NOT doubled over in pain has got to be a good thing, right? She has my sympathy, I had one friend in high school who went through that, and it was just not fun.

caseysmom
10-03-2005, 07:49 AM
I know of a teenage girl, my daughters team mate had to do this, it has helped her a lot. I think if she wanted to have sex this probably would not make a difference or visa versa.

Friendy2004
10-03-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't post much, but I relate to this really well.

I was in the same situation as your daughter for a long time, and it took a while for my parents to realize that I did not see the pill as a free pass for sex, but as something that I needed so that my life was not interupted for several days, every month.

If your daughter is really level-headed and has common sense, and as long as you can talk to her about your concerns openly, please get her a prescription as soon as you can. She will thank you 10 fold, and one way she will do that is by not disappointing you ;)

new mom to a veiled
10-03-2005, 08:15 AM
When I was a teenager I had similar problems. There is a script for Annaprox (sp?) They are huge blue pills, and they take the edge off. Speak with her Dr. about your concerns with the pill. I took the Annaprox for about a year and it stopped working, so I was switched to the pill anyway. As far as the "license for sex" I don't think the pill will make any diff. She sounds pretty responsible and will make her decisions with or with out the pill. :)

king2005
10-03-2005, 08:19 AM
The poor girl. Mine were so bad I couldn't walk & cried in pain. Pain meds, hot shower, hot pad, laying on or off my belly, did nothing.

I delt with it for a few years, until I turned 16. I met Rob & saw that the pill was a wise idea. I started on it & in a couple months there was no pain. I still felt blah duing my weekly, but no knee dropping.

If your husband doesn't want her on the pill, put her on the patch (Evera). Get her to put it where he cannot see it & if he finds the box tell him its a new pain killer or something.

I was lucky, my dad was a big suporter & bought me everything so I wouldn't feel embarassed.

I've been on the patch for over a year now & its much better then the pill. I started to get sick all the time & had horrible head pains & belly pains (not cramps). The Dr. told me many girls get it & asked if I wanted to try a new product, called Evera.

At first Evera was a pain in the butt & I lost some skin (ouch). I've learned that putting it on your upper arm was the best spot. I cannot feel it there & its easy to remove. Its best to remove it during a hot shower & slowly removing it. Its NOT like a bandaid, it can &/or will remove skin if ripped off. Its also a myth that the hair on your arm if shaved off will get dark & thick. My hair hasn't changed at all. its still blond & thin. Also removing & putting on the new patch is best done on a sunday, because if your working, you'll be done by 6ish, & since there is school the next day, you'll be home to be able to take a shower.

I don't get any head pains or belly pains anymore. The worst thing I get is dry skin near the patch & bed fuzz stuck aound it. but its easy to deal with, I just put a moisturizer on it & the dry skin goes away, & I pick off the fuzz with my finger nails (its super easy to remove).

Best of Luck

dukedogsmom
10-03-2005, 08:33 AM
I can't believe that she has the chance to get rid of her pain and because it's the birth control pill, that you won't consider that. If she wants to have sex, she'll do it, regardless of being on the pill or not. I would think getting rid of her pain would be top priority. It will also make her feel better mentally. I hope you change your mind.

catnapper
10-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys. I KNOW the pill isn't a license to have sex. Thats hubby's and a lot of other parent's concern. I've spoken with her about it, telling her even if she was on the pill that its not something to fall back on for sex because teens and the pill aren't good combos because they often miss a daily dose -- this girl forgets to take her daily vitamins! I told her that if she misses a day, or is even 12 hours late in taking it, that pregnancy CAN happen. She KNOWS that. She also knows she'll forget to take it at least once a week.

Yes, she is incredibly level headed. I say if the doctor recommends it, then we need to get it for her. I've been trying to talk him into this one for a year now... as has hubby's sister. If I go behind his back to get her the pill and hide it.... not good. One thing about us, we NEVER lie, about ANYTHING. and I tell the kids that -- no matter what happened, no matter how much trouble you think you'll get into, tell the truth. To go behind his back in this one... I couldn't do it and wouldn't do it.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-03-2005, 08:46 AM
I can relate to that so very well. I had the same problem when I had your daughter's age. But... remember that I am talking about 1971...! My parents were very conservative, and when my obstetrician told them that taking the pill was the only way, my dad just became hysterial. Luckily, my mom could talk some sense into him, so I got "the pill" when I was 17. I had to swear not to take "advantage" of this ;) . No worries, I was a good girl !
Since then, I didn't have any more problems. I was happy again :)
After we got married, we wanted to have kids, so I had to stop with that pill. The cramps came back and often kept me home from work.... :( .
We didn't get any kids of our own though... .
Since about 15 years, I am taking the pill again, as those cramps were so unbearable that I had to stay in bed every time. Now, it is all better again.

My advice: let your daughter take that pill. She won't be feeling so miserable again. I know it will make it easier for her to have sex, but at least she will be so much happier. Don't worry, she will be be very thankful for your trust!

Laura's Babies
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
I agree with dukesmom. Getting rid of the pain is the first priority here! If there is something on the market that will help her, I wouldn't hesitate. The sex issue is another whole issue to me.

Daisy and Delilah
10-03-2005, 08:57 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Val(dukedogsmom). She needs the pill to change her life and if it helps her that much, then let her have it. Val is so right in saying, if she wants to have sex she'll have it anyway. I would change her quality of life and look at the pill as therapeutic rather than suggestive. She sounds like a great kid. Best of luck with the problem :)

crsvstang
10-03-2005, 09:33 AM
My aunt had the same problems with her period when she was younger. There was nothing that would help until she got on the pill. She still had some problems, but nothing like when she was not on the pill. I remember when she used to cry and scream because she had such bad cramps.

I think you and your husband should really consider putting her on the pill.

Donnaj4962
10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
I can relate to this, as this was me when I was younger. My parents opted to go against the doctors suggestion... and no pill. I had to endure the pain. Every month, it was just a given that I would miss at least one day of school. Once I was able to pay for my own medications, I began taking the pill, and what a difference it made! I was amazed at how the week would fly by with little or no pain! I hope that your husband will re-think his decision. Remember that you have done everything you can to talk with her about the ramifications of having sex and that you have raised a level headed child! She is fortunate as many teens don't have parents that will even talk with them about the issue. I agree that you should NOT go behind your husband's back to get the pills for your daughter. That is not the responsible thing to teach your child about relationships. I hope this has helped. Just to let you know, I am now 43, no longer on the pill, and my cycle is not near what it was when I was younger! It does get better!

mruffruff
10-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I really think the Anaprox should be given a chance. It helped me tremendously.

Corinna
10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I understand the whole problem as I've been there with my daughter . We finally did get her the pill. Helped a lot but then she too got ill from it the patch has been the God sent. Even now as a married woman she uses it.It has to be the best thing ever invented.
If you have taught her the values you beleive in and keep reinforcing them she should do the right choices. As others have said after a year if they haven't this won't change that. Trust her to be smart.

kuhio98
10-03-2005, 10:45 AM
I had the same problem as a young girl. No one ever suggested the pill for me. :rolleyes: No idea why. I used to miss at least 1 day of school a month. I was so miserable. Out of desperation one day, I took one of my brother's back spasm pills (Flexeril). (Afterall, the uterus is a muscle). Ahhhh, sweet relief! What a difference. I only took 1 a month unless the cramps were especially bad. They did tend to make me a little drowsy but at least I wasn't groaning in pain.

christa
10-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I went on the pill when I was about 17 . . . and for the same reason. SEVERE PMS! Helped too!

Don't make her suffer. Put her on the pill.

BTW, my severe pains ended up being endometerosis. Have they ever considered that with your daughter? It goes un-diagnosed A LOT! But it's a very painful thing to have and can eventually cause infertility.

katienoonan
10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Sorry if this has already been said, I didn't read all the posts. My cousin and I both have had problems like this. My cousin has had this problem since she was about 14, she had a large cyst on her ovary. I had the problem as well, I had a small cyst, I ended up going on the depo shot which really helped, I was on the pill for several years due to heavy cycles. Let us know what happens in the future! Has she ever had a gyno appointment? If not I would really recommend one.

wolfsoul
10-03-2005, 11:47 AM
I am on Prozac, which can also be used for menstrual pain. I would put her on the pill though. It's alot safer with a less chance of side effects. :)

neko1
10-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I was the same way. I remember crawling around on the floor because I couldn't stand up, the pain was so bad. I still get cramps, but it's nothing compared to how it was before the pill. I went on the pill early, and did not see it as a license for sex. Since your daughter is so level-headed, I'm sure she has morals and values and will see the pill as a treatment for her pain-so she can live her life again.

gemini9961
10-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Your husband needs to get over it and realize his little girl is not going to go out there and start sleeping with all these guys just because she's on the pill. He needs to give her more creidt than that. She is awful pain because of her period and she needs to be helped. The pill can help tremendously with her cramps and if they are still troublesome, there are prescription meds her doctor can prescribe that could help as well. My parents put me on the pill when I was her age because they didn't want me to get pregnant. I was not even having sex at the time, but looking back on it I really respect my parents for having the courage to come to me and put me on the pill for my own safety. They told me right upfront that this was not a license for me to have sex, but rather if I did that I would be more protected. I would rather talk to my daughter about sex and be open with it then have her come home pregnant at a young age. I really hope your husband gets over his old way of thinking and realizes his daughter is suffering.

Queen of Poop
10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
I suffered terribly from the age of 11, cramping, throwing up the whole bit. Had an ultrasound, no reason for it. Went on the pill at 17 and still no relief. Tried the Annaprox, complete waste of time. And then some kind angel suggested I try a Chinese herb called Dang Quoi (there are several spellings). It smells terrible, comes in capsule format and has been my saving grace for many years now. I take it for about 3 days before and 1-2 days during and I am fine. Absolutely NO cramping, throwing up nothing. Please, before you stick her on the pill go to your pharmacy or local health food store and try this. There is NO guarantee the pill will work, it didn't for me.

catnapper
10-03-2005, 01:15 PM
I agree with all of you, but the man is stubborn! He has it in his head that the pill = sex. He's a teacher and knows that kids are having sex today as young as twelve without the pill, so why he figures the pill = sex is beyond me because he KNOWS they'll have sex without the pill! :confused:

I will try to see if the arguements work about us having raised a smart, independant kid who will use it as pain relief, and not a license to do something she wouldn't have otherwise done.

He SWEARS there are other choices out there than the pill for relief, because the other parents on her soccer team said there were (yeah, the patch, injections... lol.) Either that or the doctors have told the parents that its "hormone therapy" (aka the pill) :D ;) Funny how he gets all his medical information from a bunch of soccer moms :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for the advice and personal experiences. It really does help. I guess I was lucky - never had a cramp in my life.

Husky_mom
10-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I Had These Knocking Down Pains Also, And Years And Years Passed Until I Found The Only Thing That Actually Worked, Some Pills Named "midol", They Woudn´t Make Me Throw Up, And Lower My Pains, I Really Turned All Colors Possible, I Even Called Myself The Incredible Hulk At That Tiem Of The Month, Since The Pain Made Me Look Like That.

I Am Very Irregular, But Now I Only Have Slight Pains, Well I Can Manage Them, As Other People I Know Woudn´t Stand Them At All, But Nothing Like The Ones I Had Before.
I Also Got Several Treatments To Put The Pains Down But None Worked, Just The Midol, Maybe You Should Try Them, And See If It Works For Her As It Did To Me.

Tell Her I Understand What She Goes Through (we´re Pretty Much Alike)

wolflady
10-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I Had These Knocking Down Pains Also, And Years And Years Passed Until I Found The Only Thing That Actually Worked, Some Pills Named "midol"...

Me too! :) Midol PMS is what is currently working for me. I always had horrendous cramps (and still do) and tried everything: tylenol, ibuprofen, aleve, advil and now midol. I would suggest trying some of these first to see if they help, because you don't need a prescription, nor do you need to remember to take a pill everyday...you just take a tablet when you need it for pain.

ramanth
10-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Kim, if the doctor was to tell you that the pill would be the only help she can get, would he relent then?

It sounds like she has Endo. Only surgery would know for sure. I had as much scar tissue as they could find removed and am on the pill to regulate my pain. It has helped a lot.

Hell, I'm engaged and I don't have sex (fiance wants to wait). Sounds like you have a good daughter with a good head on her shoulders.

Since your hubby seems set in his ways, I hope the doctor can find some way to ease or end her pain.

Just don't let her get the shot that induces menopause (can't recall what it's called). I only recieved one injection, didn't like it, and I'm STILL have menopausal symptoms. Bleah!!!

slleipnir
10-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Didn't read the other posts...(and I don't know how old she is..) but I find birth control pills cuts cramps down A LOT! I get really bad pains too, and when I use that it cuts it back to almost nothing

animal_rescue
10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Yoga, I am the same way with cramps and I swear by yoga when it's my time of the month! The stretching really helps and actually reduces PMS as well as cramps! Here's a couple of simple poses she can do to help relieve it.

http://www.yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_document.asp?ID=74&section=9&cat=93]Article on Yoga and Periods

Start with this pose
http://www.santosha.com/asanas/shava.html]Shava-asana

http://www.yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_document.asp?ID=376&section=9&cat=0]Supta Baddha Konasana

http://www.hathayogalesson.com/]The Reclining Side Twist

http://www.yogacircle.com/asana_menses.html]Asanas

Hopefully this will help, also there's a tv show you might want to look for called Wai Lana Yoga and she has episodes on tv for Mentrual Poses.

Muddy4paws
10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
I was the same a few years ago, It got to the point of fainting once over the pain it caused. I tried so much and the one thing that eased the pain abit was "femidex" But since being on the pill I get small cramps but I guess its expected but the pill really did cut down on the pain a hell of alot!

Has she tried heat soothers? I used to find that hot drinks and heat around my tummy area helped to ease the pain

CalliesMom
10-03-2005, 05:18 PM
As a teenager, I had absolutely horrendous pain during my periods. I was put on the pill at 17 for other reasons ;) but they do help. I am uncomfortable the first day/day and a half, not a "can't get out of bed because of the pain" as I did before.

I also don't understand what the big deal is about birth control pills. It is not a license to have sex as the only thing it prevents is pregnancy. STDs can be a lot worse in some cases...Teenagers have sex regardless of what their parents say.

jackie
10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
i would put her on the pill. Its being used as a medicament here, not you like and your husband are saying "go on honey, go have sex now". I had a couple of friends very similar to your daughter, and going on the B.C. pill turned their life around for them. Now they can function normally during their period.

jazzcat
10-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I've had horrible, knock me out cramps since I was 11 years old and now I'm about to turn 38. That is 27 years of pain! Anyway, right before I got married I started the pill and thought for sure it was the answer to all my problems - wrong! It did nothing to help the pain or severity of my period. All it did was give me an idea of when it was coming and even that benefit slowly went away. I tried many different pills and they all made my PMS worse, caused daily headaches and did nothing to ease my period. I finally stopped taking them about 4 years ago and although my pain is still very bad at least I don't have the PMS and headaches.

Anaprox or Naproxen has been the only thing to give me some relief but I have to take heavy doses for a day or two.

I just had to comment that the pill isn't always the answer to the problem.

lizbud
10-03-2005, 05:51 PM
He's finally let me take her to the doctor to see what can be done. But really, what CAN be done for her? The only thing I've ever heard of doctors being able to do was prescribe "the pill". Hubby absolutely flat-out says NO WAY to that one. As a mom, I kinda agree that giving a 15 year old the pill is not every parent's dream because the feeling is she'll think she's now invicible and has a license to have lots of sex. I don't know... this daughter is too level headed to do that..... but still, she has had the same boyfriend for a year now :o

Anyway, is there anything else they can do for her with today's medicine and medical technology, or is the old tried and true the only way? Would it be so bad to put her on the pill if it means no more pain?

It would be a cold day in hell before I ever felt I needed to get permission
from anyone to take my child to a Doctor for treatment. But, anyhow, why
not just take her to a Ob/Gyn and have her checked out.Let the Dr. make any
suggestions on how this could be helped. Good Luck to her.

catnapper
10-03-2005, 06:06 PM
It would be a cold day in hell before I ever felt I needed to get permission
from anyone to take my child to a Doctor for treatment. But, anyhow, why
not just take her to a Ob/Gyn and have her checked out.Let the Dr. make any
suggestions on how this could be helped. Good Luck to her.
I am not their real mother. I am the step-mom. I can only do so much. If I was her real mom, things would be a bit different. Since I am not, things are as they are.

We are going to the Ob/Gyn. She's nervous, as would be expected. I'd have been mortified at 15 with the concept of seeing a gynecologist.

I plan on following the doctor's recommendation, but I needed to know BEFORE HAND what options are out there to formulate a reason for it that hubby can't refute. Already, the ladies that have responded have given me plenty of reasons why going on the pill wont equal sex. Thats my main concern --- how to get her on it and him agree to it if thats what the doctor prescribes. But if there IS an option out there, I'd like to know about it. To discuss it with the doctor and see which option is most likely to work, which is best for HER.

DJFyrewolf36
10-03-2005, 06:21 PM
I've been on the pill since I was 12. I had major major pains and was very irregular and so mom had me into the doctor right away. (Immagine going to the gyno at 12 :eek: ). I've tried several brands, and only a couple work for me. I reciently was on Seasonale and boy was that a flop! I've also tried Midol and other OTC's. Unfortuneatly, they all somehow seem to make me drowsy.

Some pills make things worse, some better. I'm glad that she is going to the OB/GYN, just to rule out anything serious as severe cramping can be caused by many factors.

Your step daughter sounds like she is a smart young woman, so I'd tell your hubby not to worry too much! (As if they listen lol)

dukedogsmom
10-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I had to get on Anaprox a few years ago because of my problems. I would try the pill first, as the Anaprox makes you very drowsy and that would be hard to use while trying to stay awake at school. I know it made staying awake at work difficult. In fact, I could only take half a pill while there and then that didn't get rid of the pain. I hope you find a good solution. I'm fortunate that I didn't have pains like that until my much later years.

NoahsMommy
10-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Kim,

I only wish my mom would have realized how bad my cramps were when I was younger. I had to "deal" with them from 7th grade to 12th without anything to help them. Nothing works for me...except the pill. I love that thing! I also use those heating pad things, those help a lot! I'm usually in pain with my crohn's, so I'm ususally on strong pain meds during my period as well...those work!! ;)

What if hubby went to the appointment and had the doctor explain this to him? I assume someone that went to school for an added 8 years would be able to convince him. Hopefully.

I just feel for your daughter. Its not fair she has to be in pain if there is a way to stop it. The pill has many other benefits...besides the whole baby repellant thing. ;)

Hope it works out.

OH! What about giving hubby some information from the internet? Would that help him??

Hugs, Kelly

jesse_3
10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Well, I have simular problems, I am 15, and on the pill to regulate my cycles. My cycles cause me to be in incredible pain, and I went to an OB/GYN and she has me on it so that I have my cycle every other month to minimalize my pain. If she ever wants to talk to someone who understands her pain full out, just have her email me at [email protected]

I really think that you should give the pill a try. Yes, I know, it is "birth control" but, if it will help her, why not?-It's has been a tremendous help with me..No, Ibuprofin, Tylonol, etc-none of them work, at all. They are not strong enough.

The last menstral cycle I had, they put me on perkeset for my pain..It was that immense.. That was only used as a last resort.

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

carole
10-03-2005, 10:06 PM
kim as a mother of a teenage girl, if this situation should arise I would have no hesitation about putting my daughter on the pill, but I would explore every other option first, it would be my last, I mean the Pill is not without side effects,some which are not so pleasant, like weightgain, some can cause skin outbreaks, depression, etc etc, I am sure you are well aware of them all anyhow, as for hubby well he is not a woman and will never know the pain and discomfort we as woman experience, so for me my hubby just would have very little say in the matter, but as you are the stepmother I guess it changes it a bit.

It is ridiculous of him to assume because she goes on the pill she will suddenly be having sex, and besides if she did decide to , far better to be taking precautions than end up having a baby at her young age don't you think?

I can recommend a drug called Arcoxia, I am not certain USA has it though , it is primarily for Arthritis, but used for other pain such as period pain, I can personally recommend it, however it is not without side effects either, and it could be taken off the market as was Vioxx, however taken in small amounts like 2 ot three pills per month I seriously doubt whether it would be harmful.

I wish you both luck at the specialist and hopefully they will come up with something that will be beneficial for her, she should not have to go through her life suffering like that.

CathyBogart
10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
The pill is a great solution...HOWEVER...

It can cause a whole new set of problems. I was having hideous crapms and other problems, and I was put on the pill. Voila, no more cramps! I gained a few pounds, but it wasn't a big deal. About six months later though, I developed an allergic reaction to caffeine. I've been off the pill for over two years now and I still have problems drinking even a small amount of soda or anything caffeinated. I was really sick for a few months before I figured out what was going on.

On the plus side, the pill tends to CUT DOWN on sex drive significantly, which was one BIG reason my mother agreed to put me on it at 14 to regulate my period and cut down on cramping.

PJ's Mom
10-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I had cramps from hell all during high school. Of course back then (early 80's) even the school nurse thought I was full of it. Mine were so bad they would make me throw up and keep me out of school for a day or two. Turns out I had ovarian cysts...something that didn't go away until I had my first child.

K9karen
10-04-2005, 01:17 AM
:( This brought back horrible memories for me. I suffered so badly, physically, mentally and emotionally that I was a wreck for more than a week a month. I was put on massive pain killers, I don't think there were anti-inflammatories at the time. Also water pills. When the doctor suggested BC pills, it was my mother who freaked, not my dad. The doc sat her down and explained that it was for medical reasons and that I should be trusted, etc. If I was going to have sex, I'd do it anyway. I started the pill, then stopped it. My periods were so bad, it led to severe endometriosis which couldn't be lasered because it spread to other internal organs. I went back on the pill and took it for over 20 years. I also took Serafem, a type of Prozac and B6. It saved my life. I was such a wreck for over a week with PMS that my only car accidents were at that time[COLOR=Indigo]We were honest in our family too. I wouldn't have lied about taking the pill. But, maybe, both of you and your daughter should have a talk with the doctor. I'm just concerned also about the internal damage it may be doing. It's really not normal to be such excruciating pain. Now that the pipes are shut off ( ;) )I still had 2 cervical cancer scares. I still blame it all on my past experiences. I hope you find a solution.

LKPike
10-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I was the same way, and the pill never helped. if anything I only felt worse during that time. So I switched to depo provera, an injection every 3 months and you don't get your period - ever. I might get some cramping towards the end of the 3 months but its no where as bad as before.

if you do decide to use it make sure she takes extra vitamins and especially calcium. depo is supposed to effect the bones negatively.

lizbud
10-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Catnapper,

Sorry if I sounded snippy yesterday.I did forget about you being a step
mom. :o That does make some difference, but still, if the young woman is
that debilitated by her monthly cycle, she does need some help.I would try
also to make her dad take a Drs. word for whatever therapy is needed. I know
you are trying your best to help her.Good luck with the Dr.visit. :)

DaisyJo's Mom
10-05-2005, 10:00 AM
it makes my stomach hurt just reading this because I too went through horrible pains...
i went to the doctor and they told me they did a test on how bad my cramps were and they rate it on a scale from one to five and mine was a 5++
they actually put me on birth control but told me not to take the last week and sooner or later it stopped my period...now i have found out that stopping my period wasn't the healthiest decision eventhough the doctor told me it was OK if i had a certain something in me...like a protein or a vitamin or something..
anyway
now my peroid is never on time..it is just now starting to become normal and this happened when i was like 15 i am now 21
so my advice...is the pill is good..just don't stop her period....and warn her that the pill changes you....like your wieght and attitude
and as the parent give her a little leeway on things because she isn't gonna be herself

My Peanuts
10-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm not a teen, I'm 24 years old, but here's my 2 cents. I had TERRIBLE menstrual pain. I would throw up, take hot baths/showers, curl up in the corner and cry. It was bad. I know you said the Pill was a no no, but it's honestly the only thing that helped. I've been on Yasmine for about a year and now when I get my period I don't even need to take a Tylenol. It is absolutely great. I can also time it so I don't have my period for weekends ever. It's nice. After I went through all that and now I'm good, I vowed that if my daughters (whenever I have them) tell me they are in pain like that I'm going to put them on the Pill even if they are young (as long as the doc says it's ok). No one should have to suffer like that.

Going on the Pill isn't going to "make" her have sex. To be honest, if she wants to she will. Curfews, Pills, and whatever aren't going to stop a determined teen.