PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss tips?

katienoonan
10-02-2005, 06:23 PM
I need some help losing weight. It seems as though I've tried every diet imaginable. I've been to my doctor, she says I don't have a metabolism problem anymore(I did for 5 years but now I'm cured?)
I am 5'2" and weight almost a whopping 200 pounds! What weight loss tips do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

dukedogsmom
10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
I think having my jaw wired shut would be about the only thing that would help me. I've gotten extra fluffy after surgery and can't seem to find any motivation. So, I don't know anything to tell you but if you find something successful, let me know!

Uabassoon
10-02-2005, 06:53 PM
I did weight watchers and lost nearly 50 lbs on it, I've kept the weight off for 7 months now. What I liked about it was that it delt with portion control and still allowed me to eat the foods that I normally like so I felt that it was realistic for me to stick with the plan for a long time.

The problem I don't like with most diets is that they are so restrictive that you really can't stay on them forever then you just gain the weight back when you go back to more realistic eating habbits.

jazzcat
10-02-2005, 07:15 PM
I've lost 52 pounds since April and the things that have made a big difference for me are cutting out snacking (especially late at night), drinking lots of water and exercising. I walk our neighborhood every evening, at least 1-2 miles and I recently joined a gym. I also swam a lot this summer. I hardly ever exercised before.

As far as food goes I try to eat a lot a grilled chicken, rice and veggies and for my sweet treat at night I eat cereal. If I really want something I eat it but I quickly learned it really isn't worth it.

katienoonan
10-02-2005, 09:25 PM
I play volleyball for two hours a week and in the summer I play volleyball. I don't eat sweets(never really have). I don't snack really except on vegetables and fruit. I have lost forty pounds in the nine months. I was hoping to get down to about 140(I was so confident and I felt good about myself) and I am only 22 so I was thinking this should be easy.

CathyBogart
10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
What helped me was cutting out soda and coffee from my diet.

It sounds like exercising more often would be a good solution. Working out once or twice a week will not provide very good results. Short workouts three or more times a week will yield better results than an intense workout once a week. It's also best to spread the workouts out a little bit rather than working out three days in a row and then not for four days.

ETA: Snacking is good!! If you snack a little bit on healthy stuff and therefore eat less at mealtime it can also make a difference. You can also write down everything you eat during the day to make yourself more conscious of what you are eating.

katienoonan
10-02-2005, 10:05 PM
What helped me was cutting out soda and coffee from my diet.

It sounds like exercising more often would be a good solution. Working out once or twice a week will not provide very good results. Short workouts three or more times a week will yield better results than an intense workout once a week. It's also best to spread the workouts out a little bit rather than working out three days in a row and then not for four days.

ETA: Snacking is good!! If you snack a little bit on healthy stuff and therefore eat less at mealtime it can also make a difference. You can also write down everything you eat during the day to make yourself more conscious of what you are eating.

I started my weight loss journal which includes EVERYTHING I eat and drink everyday and my weight. I started it on friday.

kimboe
10-02-2005, 10:20 PM
WATER>>>DRINK LOTS OF WATER!! this is what i did which helped alot drink water before eating a meal. And if you want to eat at night eat anything with no sugar or carbs....think green! eat veggies instead.
and then eat what ever you want but smaller portions.

PJ's Mom
10-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Everyone tells you to eat smaller portions. It's not easy to do that, especially if your an emotional eater like lots of us are. :( Too bad people won't tell you how to eat smaller portions. ;)

Nothing has worked faster for me than Atkins. There's one HUGE problem with it though...seems like the minute you try to add carbs back into your diet, the weight comes back with a vengeance. :( Besides that, there's only so much meat and cheese a person can stomach.

I'm goiing to try to start doing Billy's Bootcamp again starting tomorrow. (I've never been that sore in my life!) I'll be doing it 5 days a week and trying to stick with a low calorie diet. I've got to get some of this weight off. :(

Uabassoon
10-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Everyone tells you to eat smaller portions. It's not easy to do that, especially if your an emotional eater like lots of us are. :( Too bad people won't tell you how to eat smaller portions. ;)

This is what helped me. I'm a total snacker, I love snack foods and enjoy several snacks a day. It's a bit more expensive but i started buying all of my snacks in individual sized bags. 100 calorie snack packs or cookies, single serving sized bags of popcorn, things like that.

I also worked on subsituting lots of foods that I liked. Instead of sitting down with a tub of ice cream, I bought healthy choice ice cream bars and would just eat a single bar. I put nonfat milk in my coffee instead of sugar, went from regular cola to diet cola.

Nothing has worked faster for me than Atkins. There's one HUGE problem with it though...seems like the minute you try to add carbs back into your diet, the weight comes back with a vengeance.

That's what I don't like about most "diets" they aren't realistic. I couldn't live my life without ever eating pizza. But I could happy live with allowing myself a pizza dinner once a month instead of once a week like I used to.

PJ's Mom
10-02-2005, 11:33 PM
This is what helped me. I'm a total snacker, I love snack foods and enjoy several snacks a day. It's a bit more expensive but i started buying all of my snacks in individual sized bags. 100 calorie snack packs or cookies, single serving sized bags of popcorn, things like that.

But do you ever want to eat the whole box of 100 Calorie Snacks? I can buy them too, but staying out of them is really hard for me. :(

You're certainly giving me the motivation to try, though. ;)

Uabassoon
10-03-2005, 12:00 AM
But do you ever want to eat the whole box of 100 Calorie Snacks? I can buy them too, but staying out of them is really hard for me.

Yes, there are times when I want more than one bag, there are times when I sit down and eat two. After that though I help myself to a glass of water or Crystal light that usually helps me to forget. Or you could just hand the box to one of your kids and tell them to hide it!

Almita
10-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Well I'm not on a diet and I'm only 13 and I think it is bad for my age to be on one, but since I weigh exactly 100 pounds people wonder how I have been staying 100 pounds for a long time. Well I'm hungry and i want a snack I eat like an apple or another fruit or some vegetables. I eat small portions 5 a day and I drink milk 3 times a day and i eat healthy for breakfast and dinner becuase for lunch there is like fries and hamburgers at my school so i eat junk during that time. So i have been like in the hundreds nomore than 107 or less than 90.