PDA

View Full Version : Ever Heard Of Pet Obituaries??

AvaJoy
03-18-2002, 09:14 PM
There was an article in the newspaper recently about adding pet "tributes", in which animal lovers who want to tell the world how much they miss their faithful companion can take out an ad to memorailize their dearly departed pets . . . to the tune of $52.08 . . . complete with a photo and a few lines of text in the Philadelphia Daily News under the heading "A Fond Farewell to our Beloved Pet".

The article went on to say that such tributes are not common in newspapers, but a grief counselor said they should be. After running them for only a few years, another newspaper pulled its "pet memorial" section in the early 1990's because of low response.

Just curious if anyone has a local newspaper that offers this . . . ?

C.C.'s Mom
03-19-2002, 06:44 AM
It's not really a newspaper, but a free weekly paper with some local news and lots of ads. And, space for your beloved pet that left you. I think this is very special and I always read them first.

There is also a pet-grave yard. I don't know if this is common in the US.

purrley
03-19-2002, 07:20 AM
C.C. Yes we have pet cemetaries here. Cost a bundle to buy a plot but a lot of people do. I think it would be really nice if our paper had a spot to memoralize our pets. They deserve to have a tribute - they bring so much joy while they're with us.

Logan
03-19-2002, 08:09 AM
Very recently, one of my good "cyber" friends lost her two cats (16 1/2 years old) within two weeks of each other. She is obviously devastated over this, and has had them buried at a Pet Cemetary, I believe the oldest one in this country. I found them on the internet and was amazed. I just found the link to the one I mentioned http://www.petcem.com/ , called Hartsdale in NY State. While doing that search, I saw numerous listings, even one in SC. I also have seen pictures of the beautiful cemetary at Best Friends in Utah (one of the members of Jackie's community posted pictures from a recent visit there).

I think the idea of a pet cemetary is a lovely idea, but not one that has really caught on in this area. Many people choose cremation around here and keep the ashes of their beloved pets in beautiful urns as a tribute and memorial to them.

As for the obituaries in the newspaper, we don't have them, and I probably wouldn't do one. Some jokers out there would probably laugh at them and not understand. :( (sort of like I do with the personal ads that ARE in our newspaper :rolleyes: )