PDA

View Full Version : need advice about new rescue

JenWhite
10-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I hope I can get some sound advice from those of you who rescue/foster. I found a cat on my way home yesterday she is just a skeleton with fur stretched over her right now. :( She is very friendly, and considering her condition she doesn't appear to be lethargic. I am pretty sure she is dehydrated (nap of the neck test). She has a lot of fleas, and this morning I foung two fairly large freely moving masses in her abdomen.
I kept her in a big dog carrier with fresh food/water & makeshift litter box on the side of my house (yes outside :o ) last night. I am taking her to the vet in the morning. I don't want to let her roam free I am afraid she'll run away. With my three cats being indoors I don't want to expose them to anything she may have.
She is getting lots of love from all of the neighborhood kids and me too of course! I feel guilty for keeping her in the carrier but I just don't know what else to do.

I hope I am doing the right thing :confused:

Craftlady
10-02-2005, 11:53 AM
You did the right thing. You have provided a safe place for the kitty to be until a vet visit.
Considering the condition of the kitty (fleas) you've contained the spread.
Make sure you wash throughly all the items in the cage.

rg_girlca
10-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I would just like to say first, bless you for taking the time to help this kitty.
Never question yourself when it comes to rescuing an animal. Of course you did the right thing. First off by keeping the cat separated from yours, even it is outside, at least it is safe and sound and is getting lots of love, food and water. :)
Secondly by bringing it to the vets.

I hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with the poor thing.
Keep us updated, okay.

orangemm
10-02-2005, 12:38 PM
How wonderful of you to take in this poor girl. Is there any chance she could be pregnant? She must be very grateful to you for what you've done! At least she is safe from predators and abusive people.

Keep us updated on her progress...bless you for doing this!!

CalliesMom
10-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Thank you for saving the little girl! I do agree she should be separated until she is seen by a vet. Are you planning on keeping her? Can we see pictures? :)

Laura's Babies
10-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Keep feeding her and giving her plenty of fresh water. That is probably what she needs right now more than anything. Later, when she is stronger, she may want to get out of that kennel but right now, she is probably SO glad to have a safe place to sleep, food and water. I would suggest having her tested and checked at the vets but wait until she is a lot stronget before giving her any shots in her weakened condition. I made the mistake of getting Samantha's right away when she was almost starved to death and eaten up with fleas and I thought those shots were going to kill her. Let her build up some strength first.

JenWhite
10-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Thank you for your replies! I have been out with her several times today, and she seems to be doing better. I was thinking if a cat were SOO ill that she is literally skin and bones her movement, alertness, and interest would be indicators, right? I am hoping,hoping, hoping that she is just malnourished. I will definatley have the vet run any tests she can, thank you for advising to hold off on vaccines for now ;) Well, I am on my way to my favorite pet supply store . . . Petsmart! I should really buy some stock in that company :rolleyes:

JenWhite
10-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I tried to attach pics a couple of times, but I am not sure about attaching/resizing. Also if any of you have suggestions for a name, I am trying to settle on one. I kinda like KiKi, my son suggested Lucky. Perhaps in another language. :) I guess once you can see her a name will be easier to suggest, huh?

krazyaboutkatz
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm glad that you're able to care for her and I also think that keeping her separated from your own furkids is a good idea right now. Good luck at the vets tomorrow and please continue to keep us updated. :)

momcat
10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm sure that's what kitty wants to say to you. And bless you for taking her in. You definitely did the right thing separating her from your other furkids if for no other reason than the fleas. A good look see by your vet, a nice bath, and your TLC will go a long way. What a lucky girl to have found you. Please let us know how she's doing?

catmandu
10-02-2005, 07:29 PM
If she will eat it,I would give her a high quality kitten food,as she is going,to need the extra protein.
Ntro Max Canned Kitten would be,very good,or Royal Canin Dry Kitten Food,as that is usually on promotion.
Bless You,for helping that poor Cat,and we are praying for her.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture669.jpg
You could always ask,your Vet,for samples!!

JenWhite
10-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey guys! Thank you again for all of your advice :) I am feeding Royal Canin 2nd stage kitten dry food, and Iams kitten wet food. My other three furkids are already eating that so thankfully I had it on hand :) I have tried to feed her 2nd step KMR, but she didn't seem too interested. Also yesterday I picked up a four pack of benebac and gave her a dose. Petsmart had some 'flea wipes' and I used one on her I didn't want to stress her any further with a full on bath.
I just came home from the vet. Ok, I have learned that she is 9-10 years old, FeLv neg (yea!!! :D ) has no worms, and is a totally well mannered sweetheart!

But, (there's always a but) the freely movable masses aren't babies. Dr. Utt is going to do a needle aspiration and we'll make desicions from there. Dr. says the options are either surgical removal or medication for the rest of lil kitties life. I am hoping that they can be surgically removed, but I have no experience with either. Please keep this little girl in your thoughts and prayers. And if you have any experience in dealing with removal of tumors/masses I would appreciate any experience you are willing to share....

I'll post more as soon as I hear from Dr. Utt

orangemm
10-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't know anything about the masses (sorry), but just wanted to say how lucky it was that this poor little soul found you! I figured you were talking about a younger cat, am surprised that she's as old as she is. I wonder what her previous life was like?

You're a wonderful angel to have taken her in!! :)

JenWhite
10-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, I talked to Dr. Utt yesterday. The needle biopsy was non- diagnostic. :confused: So . . . . . . I am still not sure what my next step should be. I don't have a problem with paying for the surgery, but if the masses are just going to regenerate which is a possibility then I can't see putting her through the surgery. KWIM? Also my three other furbabies are rough and tumble kitties, my husband will probably move out if I bring another cat inside (kinda of joking). I know Noni (the new kitty's name means gift from God) will need to be kept inside for several days if I have the procedure done. I am at a loss :( So even though she is eating right now and is seemingly happy I am concerned about leaving undiagnosed growths inside her.
Anyone have any advice?

Laura's Babies
10-07-2005, 01:23 PM
My advice is to have those removed and see what they are..... Then, go from there. Those things could be something simple that is interferring with her eating or absorbtion of food..... could be something crtitcal but I would have to know, just for my own peace of mind.

K & L
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
I agree, have them removed. Maybe you can convince your husband to seclude her in a bath or extra bedroom just until she heals?

JenWhite
10-07-2005, 05:15 PM
I went to see Noni this afternoon, and boy was she happy to see me! After talking at length with of the vet techs I agreed to have the masses removed Monday. Noni is also running a low grade fever I was told her body is probably trying to fight whatever is growing inside her :(
On Monday if there are more growths inside, Dr. will likely not wake her, but I am hoping for the best. Her big loving trusting eyes just melt my heart, I hope we can bring her home!

On a side note I realized a disagrrement with my husband will definatley be worth it if I can help save Noni's life. Thank you for all of your helpful advice, and healing thoughts. I will be in touch with the vet's office daily, and post updates as I get info :)

Lightning SuperCat
10-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Lots of prayers and hugs are headed your way that she will be fine. You did a great thing it taking her in!!! :D :D Noni, get better soon and be a good girl for the vet!!!

orangemm
10-08-2005, 04:53 AM
All of us here will be praying for Noni and you! Bless you for taking this girl in, you're the best thing to happen to her in a long time.

JenWhite
10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, the vet just called, and Noni's intestines are filled with 'masses' :( I am very sad, but thankful that maybe she was saved from further suffering. And that she was really loved in the end. The look she gave me when I went to hold her on Friday afternoon, that said it all. She insisted on being in my lap instead of being loved on the table (silly me I wore black :rolleyes: ) She climbed up to put her head near my shoulder, then laid on her back in my lap while gazing intently into my eyes purring loudly and drooling like a wide open faucet all the while. She was a sweet loving being and she will be missed by me, my family and the neighborhood children.

Thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts.

jackie
10-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I have tears in my eyes now.

Cinder & Smoke
10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
:(

So Sorry that God needed Noni at The Bridge.

You'll be Blessed for taking shuch kind and loving care of her.

Safe trip to the Bridge, Noni!

/s/ :( Phred

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Oh no, I'm so sad to hear this. :(

Poor little Noni. At least you were there for her in the end and she did know that you loved her.

RIP Noni. :(

jazzcat
10-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm very sorry. At least she felt loved before she left for the Bridge.

Rest in Peace little Noni.

orangemm
10-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about Noni. We were all hoping that there would be a happy ending to the story. Thank goodness Noni had you to love her, even if it was only for a short time.

Play hard at the RB, little one. This just makes me cry.

JenWhite
10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
I hope that you can see these pictures of Noni.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2119290946&idx=6

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2119290946&idx=10

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2119290946&idx=4

Lightning SuperCat
10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid190/p83cf58bdaa014a84239efe08164ca865/f1f0fbac.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid190/pbae377ba3a493e8f72e07a71fe6a4313/f1f0ffd9.jpg

Here are your two pictures. She was such a beautiful cat. I'm so sorry that she has passed on to the rainbow bridge. :( You did a great thing in taking her in and giving her some love before she passed away. Rest in Peace, Noni. (((((HUGS)))))

carole
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Oh my she was indeed a very pretty girl, bless your heart for taking her in and making her last days on earth filled with love and caring, I was so sad to read that Noni had to go to the RB,but happy she had you to guide her.

momcat
10-10-2005, 09:04 PM
It's so sad to hear that Noni has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. :( Her last few days were filled with love and comfort because of your kindness. RIP sweet Noni.....

krazyaboutkatz
10-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear that Noni has now passed on. :( She sure was a beautiful little girl and you showed her what love was in the short time that she spent with you. RIP sweet Noni. :(