PDA

View Full Version : I need advice...

CalliesMom
10-01-2005, 02:05 PM
In the past week, I've noticed a beautiful black/white dog just "hanging out" around the building next to me. I had assumed he was owned because a person was standing near by...but the next day or two, he just kind of hung out in the same location.

I ran to the grocery store today, and he was outside again. I called him to me, he sniffed my hand, and ran off. He has a large number of ticks around his head :( so he is obviously a stray or not being properly cared for. I tried to at least get him to follow me to my apartment or near the stairs (I live on the third floor) but he didn't come back when I called him.

What should I do? I cannot bring another animal into my house as I already have one more pet than is allowed. I'm afraid to call animal control as I do not want him euthanized; he seemed sweet but very skittish. I just cannot sit by and let this poor dog suffer.

Glacier
10-01-2005, 03:12 PM
This won't be popular, but if you can't catch him and can't take him to your home, I'd call animal control. At least he'd be fed and warm and if they did have to euthanize him, at least it would be a humane death, not a painful, suffering one. Maybe call your AC and ask if they would let you know if it came to euthansia. Where I used to live, the AC would let people know if they were going euthanize a dog they had brought in (Not owner surrenders, but if you found a stray). Then the person had the option of pulling the dog out and finding it a home themselves.

Are there any other shelters or rescues near you besides animal control?

Ginger's Mom
10-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I was going to suggest a rescue society. Is any identifiable breed? Can you say he is definitely part something specific? If not, there are rescue societies that take multiple mixes and place them in foster care. Good luck, fingers crossed for the poor doggie.

CalliesMom
10-01-2005, 05:16 PM
It took as if our Animal control is also a animal shelter? We have a Wake County SPCA but I don't know if they pick up animals...I don't think so. I'm also not sure of his breed, but I'm thinking of trying to take some food to him and take a picture. Wish me luck. Everyday this week that I've had to drive past him broke my heart. He hangs out by the cars as if he is waiting for his mommy/daddy to come get him.

Jessika
10-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I would call the local animal shelter or rescue group and let them know about the dog. You can't take him in but they will be able to help him. :)

labrado_retriever123
10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Poor thing. Catch him as quickly as your body can move, call the humane society, and they will do what they can!

CalliesMom
10-02-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks guys. I went to try and feed him last night, but could not find him. I just think it is strange that there has been this dog just hanging around the complex and no one has done anything about it. I live in a HUGE apartment complex and I get the impression someone just dumped him off here. :mad:

I've been trying to figure out what kind of dog her is. He looks a lot like Cali's Perky pictures but with short hair. He's a beautiful black/white boy.. :(