PDA

View Full Version : new hedge hog

dab_20
10-01-2005, 11:54 AM
me and my dad have decided to get a hedge hog. we would like to know if there are any good sites to help us learn about them before we decide to get one? and if anyone owns a hedge hog, do they seem to be friendly pets?

dab_20
10-02-2005, 12:34 PM
ok, well we were thinking about getting a chinchilla too. but they are soooo expensive. and our humane societies only rescue guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, etc. chinchillas are very rare. we want to rescue one from an auction, as those are sometimes abused animals and we want to help them. and hedge hogs are really common there. we rescue rabbits there. any ideas where else to get a chinchilla other then a pet store??

jesse_3
10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Well, I don't know why you wouldn't recommend getting one. I have one who is perfectly healthy and happy. She may not be able to be cuddled real welll, but it is possible! They make amzing pets..I wouldn't recommend getting one from a petstore at all though. They tend to have health problems. I am sort of part of another forum that has a special section for hedgies, Hedghog rescue, and I could try to find a hedgie in need of a home close to where you live. That is how we got Splinter..

A good website?-let me look..Just pm me for any information..I'll find the couple of websites I looked at..Hold on!

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

jesse_3
10-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Here are some: http://www.pogstarhedgehogs.com/basiccare.html
http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Hedge-Hog-products.htm

There is just two, but they are awesome!-Just pm me if you need anything!

dab_20
10-04-2005, 07:47 AM
ok thanks so much! we aren't sure if we are getting a hedgie or a chinchilla yet. but i will tell you what we end up getting!

buttercup132
10-04-2005, 02:19 PM
i think a hedgie would be better to get cuz they are easy to care for and they can have cool treats like worms! and a chinchilla you need to make sure they always have sand ect. and if there are always at auction i would suggest getting one cuz it seems they need lots of help

dab_20
10-04-2005, 06:30 PM
do they spike you?? do they like to run free? cuz i could hedgy proof my smalll bathroom and let it run free under supervision. and some great hedgy sites you know of would be much appreciated!

jesse_3
10-04-2005, 10:33 PM
When you say spike, do you mean like a porcupine, with the quills comming out?-If you do, the answer is no. Their quills don't come out (once in a great while they will shed around one quill..)

They do jump and hiss to scare you when they are nervous or frightened, and if your hand is close enough, the quills could hit you. It does hurt a little, but, the pain quickly goes away. (When they are scared, they pump blood into their quills to make them basically stand up to protect it more)

With Splinter, we only use a glove to pick her up, then she calms down and we can hold her with our bare hands..It really depends on how they are raised and cared for.

You can let them run free with or without a ball..Just to forwarn you, if you do get a hedgie, they are wonderful escape artist, and can easily hide from you! Strong supervision will be a nessecity (sp?) when they are not in a ball. With a ball, they don't have to be watched as carefully, as long as they aren't by stairs or other pets that would like to "play" with them.

Here is a couple of more sites!: http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/comemeetmyfamily/hhcare8A.html

Let us know what you decide on!-
Steph and Splinter

CathyBogart
10-04-2005, 10:54 PM
luckies4me has a pair (or more) of rescued hedgies, she can probably tell you a LOT about them. :) I would recommend a hedgie over a chinchilla, because hedgies are much easier to take care of and easier to handle in my experience.

http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/ is a site for chinchilla and hedgehog owners, I'll bet there will be a TON of good info there.

I have to say that I strongly disagree with neeshkabeesh. A hedgehog's needs are easily met in captivity, and you should have no problem finding a captive-bred one. Also, if they are legal in your area, there are probably a good many vets with plenty of knowledge about caring for them

jesse_3
10-04-2005, 11:00 PM
chins-n-quills is the forum I am part of. I don't go there often though. They are wonderful, and would gladly give you information! I also found a site on colors of hedgehogs..Here it is!-http://hedgehogclub.com/colorguide.html

CathyBogart
10-04-2005, 11:07 PM
^That's a neat link! If they were legal here, I would want a "Chocolate chip" hedgie!

jesse_3
10-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks! Splinter looks exactly like the brown hedgie! That is the closest I can get to a pic of her right now..

I didn't know that hedgies were illegal in places! I did double-check in MN(they aren't), but I never thought that they really were illegal!
Steph and Splinter

dab_20
10-05-2005, 07:50 AM
yah, they arent illegal here. but i know they are in california. and, what do you feed a hedge hog?? do they have hedgie food at pet stores?

jesse_3, that last link about the hedge hog colors didnt work. thanks for the sites everyone! i will check them after school. we get off 2 hours early today :):)

tikeyas_mom
10-05-2005, 07:12 PM
hedgehogs are very scared little creatures.. I had peviously bought one from a breeder, who hand raised them.. and even then, all the hedges were really scared of people and other animals.
Make you sure play with it ALOT, and be patient.. because they are little buggers to tame. they need to have their nails trimmed by weekly, and most i've known like baths.
Feed it a high quality cat food, and crickets/or mealworms are a treat.
Good luck with your research :).

dab_20
10-05-2005, 07:30 PM
thanks. i know, especially because it came from an auction, that it will be very scared. i heard you cant feed them iams cat food. is that true? i do have a kitten, so can i feed it kitten food?

and, do they like wheels? and if they do, should i get a solid one?? if not, what kind of wheel?

jesse_3
10-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I noticed that the link wasn't working just now! Sorry, I don't know what happened..

With the wheel, just make sure that it is one where they can't pinch there feet, and they usually LOVE balls!

I would feed them cat food..I don't know about kitten food though. Same with the Iams, I will come back, I have to go for a couple of hours!

jesse_3
10-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Okay, I am back..A good wheel for them would be a Super Pet Comfort wheel. Here is a pick of one:http://www.aworldofpets.com/images/jpeg/2637_productslarge.jpg

or you could get this..A Run Around Mesh Wheel:
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20040331000952/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/bigimages/lg_16738.jpg

Also, you NEED a pet igloo, or something for a hedgie to hide in. Here is an article about it, if you are interested: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?acatid=347&aid=808

Here is the link on hedgie colors too..http://hedgehogclub.com/colorguide.html

I'm sorry, but Ihave to disagree with Tikeya's Mom, you see, only some hedgies are that way. It really depends on the hedghog too. Splinter is shy around strangers, but loves to be around people (and cats) that she knows. Okay, she doesn't like dogs, but, I can't blaim her. I don't know if you were here when my hedgie Pepper was "set free" and past on (long story) but he was shy with everyone. So it really depends..I'm not trying to get in an argument though, I am just simply stating what Chins-and-Quills members have said, and what I have experienced!;)

Wow, that was A LOT more than I had intended! lol!
Steph and Splinter (Jesse too!)

dab_20
10-09-2005, 09:18 PM
that purple wheel is the exact one i got him! (see 'hedge hog food' thread for info on my new hedgie!)

p.s. oh, and i did find hedgie food at petco.

Karen
10-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Hedgehogs are wild animals, they are not pets. I don't recommend getting a hedgehog as you may not be able to give it the proper diet and probably won't be able to get good vet care for it. Hedgehogs are nocturnal wild animals, they aren't like hamsters, they aren't cuddly and fluffy. I haven't got a clue where you'd get one from, I hope you don't get one. Please if you want another pet consider visiting your local rescue centre and seeing what they have there. Read about the animal thoroughly before you get it. Hamsters, mice, rats, chinchillas, rabbits etc can be kept as pets, I really don't think hedgehogs should be kept as pets.

These are not the hedgehogs you in the UK have wild in your garden, they are usually African Pygmy hedgehogs, and are far different critters, as they have been kept as pets for generations (hedgie generations, anyway).

Flatcoatluver
10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
We don't have hegies in are area for pets, what do they look like when there domesticated???? they sound like a awsome animal! :D

dab_20
10-10-2005, 07:52 AM
they look like a regular hedge hog. but friendlier.

i will get a pic soon, my camera battery is dead.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
These are not the hedgehogs you in the UK have wild in your garden, they are usually African Pygmy hedgehogs, and are far different critters, as they have been kept as pets for generations (hedgie generations, anyway).

I was just about to say the same thing.

African Pygmy hedgehogs make great pets. They are much easier than chinchillas IMO.

dab_20
10-10-2005, 03:44 PM
yes, that is the kind of hedge hog i got. a little male 7 month old salt and pepper african pygmy hedge hog. what a sweetie he is too :) so if you want a small pet-easy to take care of-no smell (unless you dont clean the cage) get a hedge hog! of course some are little buggers to tame, so have alot of patience.

luckies4me
10-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Hedgehogs ARE domesticated. They have been bred for many years, come in all sorts of colors, are tame critters that can make fabulous pets. I've owned hedgies now for about ten years and will always keep the little critters. They are great pets! :D If you have any questions about care etc. just ask me. I've had tons of experience with them. :)

Also, they CAN be cuddly. Flower cuddles with me all the time. Sometimes we even fall asleep together. :) If your hedgehog is tame enough they will keep their quills layed flat, meaning you won't get poked. ;)

megannlizzy
10-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi as far as food i was told cat food can be given as a treat i have been looking into them for months now will be getting one after xmas. I know their diet is simular to an iguana "which i own" but was told its a little more diffucult. They need the greens veggies and fruits like an iguana. along with meal worms and different kinds of animal protien. I know the sell hedge hog food at pet stores and they should be given that along with the other things i mentioned. I have heard good stories of people owning them and also heard horror stories. That goes with any pet tho, if taken care of right and loved on alot they can be wonderful pets, "same with an iggy" I know if fed the right food and housed just right they can live very long, i am 90% sure i will be getting one. They are just to cute, also will be rescuing it. as i did all my animals, :) good luck check out thihttp://netvet.wustl.edu/species/exotic/hedgehog.htms page

dab_20
10-17-2005, 04:00 PM
thanks. hes gotten used to us and is really nice. i know what i am doing now:)

jesse_3
10-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm glad that you have gotten the hang of it!

We don't have hegies in are area for pets, what do they look like when there domesticated???? they sound like a awsome animal!
Here is a pic of my RB Pepper:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/p1e44128a7886851c01eac4feddddabd1/f362a7bc.jpg

dab_20
10-23-2005, 08:52 PM
pepper sure was cute!! looks like my spike.

jesse_3
10-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks! I miss him, and I hate how he passed, but, he had a good life before the accident..

equi47
10-24-2005, 01:25 PM
First off, new member here, but long time owner of hedgies. Here are some great websites: www.hedgehogwelfare.org, www.hedgehogclub.com (go here to register your hedgie in the International Hedgehog Club), and hedgies.com.

There are also quite a few good hedgehog websites. They need a lowfat cat diet (like Blue Buffalo, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, etc), not Iams, Science Diet, or Purina cat foods. The packages hedge hog foods are not the best for the them and most hedgies really prefer the cat diets. Also, most hedgies aren't big on the whole fruits and greens thing. But most do love the occasional meal/silk worm and a small serving of cottage cheese or yogurt (my Aubrey, a 1.5 year old female Chocolate Chip) LOVES strawberry yogurt.

Best wishes with your new pet. Do plenty of research and remember that you shouldn't use cedar or pine shavings in his/her cage. :) Aspen or a nice velux cage liner works (and is much healthier) for the hedgehog.

Good luck!
equi

dab_20
10-25-2005, 04:56 PM
i got pine shavings because half the websites say your supposed to use pine! :confused:

steph, do you mind me asking how your little pepper passed on? you dont have to tell me if you dont want to.