PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Status

Paul
10-01-2005, 08:28 AM
   Karen and I still have a lot of work to do. However, Pet Talk is back online. Messages may once again have attachments. The search engine is being rebuilt so it's not yet full functional. Pet Talk may be slower all day today as the search index is being rebuilt.

If you find something that does not work or have a question please post it here.

Paul

gemini9961
10-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks Karen and Paul. This new software is very nice. Still checking it all out, but I do like it.

PS: The "cool" smilie does not show up under smilies...it's just a blank area.

Kfamr
10-01-2005, 08:46 AM
OH! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how the PM's are seperated into different days/time periods. It makes me inbox look less intimidating. :D :D
The "cool" smiley works now. :cool:

gemini9961
10-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks on the cool smiley. I was having a moment there. LOL.

sandragonfly
10-01-2005, 08:57 AM
welcome back the modern pet talk!

smilies work okay on mine, some will come blank on posting page but I see them on thread page.

while I'll have to explore more, what does our dots by our name means?

hope you get to get some sleep now, paul & karen!

gemini9961
10-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Paul,

I have chosen to be invisible, however, I still show up in the active user list. I check my settings and I do have invisible checked. Also, I have a * next to my name..what is that? Thanks.

gemini9961
10-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Paul,

I have chosen to be invisible, however, I still show up in the active user list. I check my settings and I do have invisible checked. Also, I have a * next to my name..what is that? Thanks.

Nevermind, think I got it figured out. :D

trayi52
10-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Oh! I love it! It looks wonderful! :)

JenBKR
10-01-2005, 09:26 AM
it looks great!

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Love the new look.

Thanks Karen and Paul for all the hard work!!

(((HUGS))))

Julie

sandragonfly
10-01-2005, 09:55 AM
what is it, gemini? :confused: can't find where it says what it means..yet!

I have a question.. where's "subscribe to this thread" below each thread? look like we have lost our notifications.. I lost my notifications I replied to, about over 50. :( I can't repost in every thread and how I like to follow up some threads.. darn.

I just came back to this and see I've not gotten any noification from this! and few others I just responded to this morning.. (???)

help? thanks!

Kfamr
10-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Gina, Where it says at the top of the thread "Thread Tools"..
If you click it will show an option to subscribe to a thread.

sandragonfly
10-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I guess I'll have to do that on a computer, when I click on it (on pager), it takes me back to the bottom of this page. owhelly, thanks kay.

RobiLee
10-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Everything looks good. I still need to figure everything out though. I have a hard time dealing with change;)..lol

beeniesmom
10-01-2005, 11:02 AM
The white sides bother my eyes a bit and so does the color of the talk forum. It's a little too light for my eyes.
For the rest, it is great.

sandragonfly
10-01-2005, 11:07 AM
ahh another thing I noticed.. time zone error??

usually I would see my pacific time of my post but I see it says 7:53AM instead of 8:53AM and it's 9:07AM now..

I understand GMT -8 time is correct too. :confused:

sandragonfly
10-01-2005, 11:51 AM
why am I not getting any notifications? is it my pager or everyone too?

my user cp said I have 14 subscriptions & I have my notification mode on.. :confused:

Suki Wingy
10-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Just what I need now :rolleyes: on top of everything else, an ugly, hard to look at design. :( :( :(

K9soul
10-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Just what I need now :rolleyes: on top of everything else, an ugly, hard to look at design. :( :( :(

That post really seems like a slap in the face to Karen and Paul who have done a lot of hard work to make Pet Talk better for all of us! Many love the new design, others will need to adjust to it, but before long it'll seem just as "normal" as the old design! :) Personally the blue is easier on my eyes than the white, as I stare at a white screen all day for work. I think you are being a bit overdramatic ;). I wish instead that you could recognize how hard Karen and Paul are working to make PT better for all of us :).

LeahMM
10-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I personally think it's nice, much more of what I'm use to looking at on other message boards. Great work.

Jessika
10-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Odd, actually, I've found the site to be loading slightly faster than it did yesterday. :)

Wow, lets try to be a little more greatful to the people who make this board possible to begin with!!

LeahMM
10-01-2005, 05:38 PM
The white sides bother my eyes a bit and so does the color of the talk forum. It's a little too light for my eyes.
For the rest, it is great.

You can change the forum skin to wide screen therefore eliminating the white sides.

Karen
10-01-2005, 05:40 PM
why am I not getting any notifications? is it my pager or everyone too?

my user cp said I have 14 subscriptions & I have my notification mode on.. :confused:

The Pet Talk mail server is running a bit behind right now, as the machine is still working on updating the search index for all of Pet Talk! By tomorrow, notifications, etc. should all run more smoothly.

lizbud
10-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, the invisible mode doesn't work for me and why do I have an *
beside my login name?

jenluckenbach
10-01-2005, 05:46 PM
It still says MAYNOT POST ATTACHMENTS for me. (although I have not actually tried it.)

jenluckenbach
10-01-2005, 05:48 PM
The * by your name means you are invisible to OTHERS, (but you will see yourself....and no one else will see the *)

lizbud
10-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks Jen. :D I like the widescreen view. It removes the
bright white spaces on the sides.

jenluckenbach
10-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I like the widescreen view. It removes the
bright white spaces on the sides.
Not only that, but with the white spaces on the side, I need to scroll left/right.....which is irritating!

slick
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I really like the widescreen view, then again, I've got a 19" monitor so I don't have to scroll from side to side.

It still says MAYNOT POST ATTACHMENTS for me. (although I have not actually tried it.)
Same for me and I just tested it out by trying to start a new thread. The option for attachments was not available.

The one thing I have to get used to are the icons on this reply screen. I'm used to seeing "Quote" and now have to remember that it's the last icon on the right. Hovering the cursor over the icon will tell you what it's for.

I'm also very impressed with the red triangle that allows us to notify of a bad post. Very cool! :cool:

todd
10-01-2005, 08:56 PM
glad it is back

sirrahbed
10-01-2005, 10:55 PM
I love the new look!! :D Yes, it may take a day or two to figure out the new things - but it looks just terrific.

Thanks so much Karen and Paul.

chocolatepuppy
10-02-2005, 08:39 AM
The new look is starting to grow on me, now that I'm figuring things out! :D Thanks Paul and Karen, great job! :D

Karen
10-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Posting attachments has now been enabled for everyone.

RedHedd
10-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Odd, actually, I've found the site to be loading slightly faster than it did yesterday. :) Me too - it's quite nice!

Suki Wingy
10-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Sorry Karen and Paul for what I said before. I DO NOT react well to change, especially unexpected change and at that time my keyboard was dieing and my internet access was screwed up and I was baned from the school labs for talking back to the teacher so I was is such a bad mood that I was crying. I think I got it all together now. Is there any way to make it so it doesn't show you what is inside the thread when you rest your mouse on it?

RICHARD
10-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Have you ever noticed that people are really glad when they get a new electronic product (DVD player, phone, iPod, etc....) for Xmas and even if they have to read the instructions they will say that THEY LOVE IT???

But, change the web site and everyone panics :eek: ;) :D :cool:

I like the graphic "mail box" meter....

Hey, it's better than learning a new program for work!!!!

Thanks Karen and Paul!

Xmas in October!

Karen
10-03-2005, 07:08 PM
You're welcome, Richard!

Yes, the site was running faster Sunday than it was on Saturday. It literally took ALL day Saturday for the search engine to rebuild its index. But then again, with all the blabbermouths around here, and our 1.2 million posts, it sure would have taken me longer to sort 1.2 million of anything by hand! That process put a huge load on the machine, but we won;t have to do that again any time soon!

shais_mom
10-03-2005, 11:34 PM
That post really seems like a slap in the face to Karen and Paul who have done a lot of hard work to make Pet Talk better for all of us! Many love the new design, others will need to adjust to it, but before long it'll seem just as "normal" as the old design! :) Personally the blue is easier on my eyes than the white, as I stare at a white screen all day for work. I think you are being a bit overdramatic ;). I wish instead that you could recognize how hard Karen and Paul are working to make PT better for all of us :).
I agree - Suki Wingy - have you EVER said anything nice - ever?
why must you be so nasty all the time?
:mad:
sheeesh

Personally its growing on me - it takes time for everything that is new.
Good job Karen and Paul.

Donnaj4962
10-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I am still fairly new to this site, but I enjoy it so much that I am here several times a day while at work :eek: Some may take a "cigarette break", but I sit at my desk and look at pet talk! :D

Thank you for a great site for all of us! I enjoy the updates, and keep up the great work! :cool:

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-05-2005, 03:29 AM
At first, I had to get used to the new look. But now I really love it very much! I love the way each message is framed, and I love the colours!

Thank you Paul and Karen!!!

tatsxxx11
10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I keep changing back and forth from "widescreen" to "pet talk" view but I don't see any changes!:( Could it be something/some setting on my computer that's keeping the look from changing?

Karen
10-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I keep changing back and forth from "widescreen" to "pet talk" view but I don't see any changes!:( Could it be something/some setting on my computer that's keeping the look from changing?

Perhaps just the default size of your window is set narrow enough so that the change isn't noticeable? When you have it set to widescreen, try making your window wider, and you'll see the difference.

tatsxxx11
10-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks Mayor!:D

Jessika
10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Perhaps just the default size of your window is set narrow enough so that the change isn't noticeable? When you have it set to widescreen, try making your window wider, and you'll see the difference.

Yeah the change won't be as noticable, if noticable at all, if you're on 800x600 or 1024x768 screen resolution versus those of us on higher resolutions (like mine, 1280x1024) see a BIG difference.

tatsxxx11
10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Changed the resolution and I've gone widescreen!:D

QueenScoopalot
10-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I have to say it took me by surprise, but I acclimate quite quickly and love the different features! :) Great job Paul (and Karen) ;) I'm still feeling my way around the new format, and agree that everything moves faster now. :)

sasvermont
10-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks again, Karen and Pau.

I rather enjoy the change. It didn't take me by surprise as you did announce the upgrade.

Thank you, thank you. :)

shais_mom
10-06-2005, 12:01 PM
The one thing I am confused about and maybe it is b/c I am just too dense to figger it out but we can't send Private messages via the buddy list anymore? I used that a lot....
But maybe I just can't figger it out...

Karen
10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
You can send a PM to more than one person at a time, just use a semi colon - ; - to separate each username. I'll have to delve further into the buddy list thing, as I never use it.

Cinder & Smoke
10-06-2005, 01:45 PM
... but can't send Private messages via the buddy list anymore?

SURE ya can!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

1) Click on "Quick Links" - top bar on each page - right end

2) Third option down is "Open Buddy List" - *click* it ...

3) You'll get another Drop-Down Box with all you're Buddies listed AND

4) A Check Box beside each Buddy's Name

5) CHECK each Buddy you want to send a common PM to; FIVE max!

6) Scroll DOWN to the bottom of the Drop-Down Box and *click* the action box.

7) You'll get a standard PM page with the Buddies on the Send To: line.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

One thing I HAVEN'T figgured out -
Used to be able to FORWARD a PM to the Buddy List ...
Don't know that secret, yet.

/s/ Phred

dukedogsmom
10-07-2005, 06:50 AM
I don't know how to do that, either. Didn't even know you could.

Cookiebaker
10-07-2005, 07:02 AM
I love the new changes, but there is one teeny tiny thing that I am not used to yet. When you click on an attachment it doesnt' open it in a new window. So to return to the previous you have to hit "back", and I always close out the screen first. You would think I would learn. :rolleyes:

Christiansmommy
10-07-2005, 07:24 AM
I replied to a thread just now and it didn't move to the top of the other threads on page 1...it stayed in the middle of the second page...not sure why...wasn't it when you would reply to a post before, in the "most viewed threads" section, now called "new posts", it moved up the top of the 1st page afte replying to it? I am no computer expert, so ignore this if it makes no sense! LOL :rolleyes:

Edit:
Doh!! It just now moved up to the first page...I guess it just took longer than normal! ;)

Karen
10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
If you hit the "back" button in your browser to get back to the main listing, your machine had probably cached the page, and if you hit reload, it would update immediately.

RedHedd
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
I love the new changes, but there is one teeny tiny thing that I am not used to yet. When you click on an attachment it doesn't open it in a new window. So to return to the previous you have to hit "back", and I always close out the screen first. You would think I would learn. :rolleyes: Me too :rolleyes: Glad I'm not the only one. It will just take some getting used to.

Jessika
10-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Me too :rolleyes: Glad I'm not the only one. It will just take some getting used to.

Really? It pops up in a new window for me. What browser are you using?

finn's mom
10-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Me too :rolleyes: Glad I'm not the only one. It will just take some getting used to.

Same here! :)

Kfamr
10-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Does the same for me.

luvofallhorses
10-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I think it looks great!! :) Thanks Karen and Paul for all you do!! :D

Pam
10-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I haven't done a lot of fiddling around with the new format but it looks nice and I am not normally one who loves change. From what I have seen so far, it seems like it will be just fine. I did just try to change my avatar (after five years I figured it was time). I kept getting a message that the URL was not found. It is stored at photobucket and I have used it at another site. Not sure what's wrong. Anyone else having avatar problems?

Jessika
10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
I haven't done a lot of fiddling around with the new format but it looks nice and I am not normally one who loves change. From what I have seen so far, it seems like it will be just fine. I did just try to change my avatar (after five years I figured it was time). I kept getting a message that the URL was not found. It is stored at photobucket and I have used it at another site. Not sure what's wrong. Anyone else having avatar problems?

Pam, photobucket has been having lots of server issues lately. Read this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=90168

Karen
10-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Pam, just save the image to your own hard drive and upload it from there - you can do that with avatars!

Pam
10-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Pam, just save the image to your own hard drive and upload it from there - you can do that with avatars!

Thanks Karen! I tried and it said my avatar was too big so hubby re-sized it for me. I am set now for another five years! LOL!

Karen
10-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Karen! I tried and it said my avatar was too big so hubby re-sized it for me. I am set now for another five years! LOL!

Hee hee - glad I could help!