PDA

View Full Version : New Stuff!!!

gemini9961
10-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks Karen and Paul. This new software is very nice. Still checking it all out, but I do like it. :D

PS: The "cool" smilie does not show up under smilies...it's just a blank area.

Paul
10-01-2005, 08:48 AM
   I think I fixed it. :cool:

Paul

Kfamr
10-01-2005, 08:49 AM
How do I turn invisible again? :o
I don't like people watching me! :p Or will I always be visible to myself?

Paul
10-01-2005, 08:52 AM
   At menu at the top of the page select "User CP" then "Edit Options" from the left-hand column.

Paul

Ginger's Mom
10-01-2005, 08:56 AM
I checked my user CP and it still says I am invisible, but it still looks like I am visible to me. I thought it was that we would always look visible to ourselves. Kay if you are still online, you are invisible to me.

Kfamr
10-01-2005, 08:59 AM
I checked my user CP and it still says I am invisible, but it still looks like I am visible to me. I thought it was that we would always look visible to ourselves. Kay if you are still online, you are invisible to me.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking..

And i'm still online so that must be the case. ;)

sandragonfly
10-01-2005, 09:04 AM
but our options has not changed so does that * next to my username on main pet talk page means I'm telling myself invisible?

I only keep myself invisible because using this pager, pet talk never logs me out automically if you don't 'surf' on for more than few minutes - pager different cookies I guess - people will see me on 24/7! :p

trayi52
10-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Thats alright, I keep it on 24/7 anyway, whether I am here or not! :D

Willie :)

slick
10-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Great job and I just love the look. One feature I think is fabulous is the abillity to export my PM's to a file. I've always wanted that.

Thanks for all your hard work Karen and Paul...now Paul, I hope you can crawl into bed for some well deserved sleep. If anything is else is missing, we can live without it for a bit.

Thank you both again.

slick xoxo

Karen
10-01-2005, 10:01 AM
There are a lot more options you'll find as you explore. Like:

Viewing threads: You now can CHOOSE how you view threads. How we are used to viewing them is called Linear Mode
You also now have a choice called Threaded Mode which just shows you the beginning line of each post, and you click on it to see the contents of that post. This should be valuable to people with smaller screens - like when using a handheld device, or people with slower connection, like dial-up, as it only has to load a fraction of the information at a time. There's also a hybrid of the two modes.

To Change Viewing Modes when you are in a thread, the top left choice in the darker blue bar is "Display Modes" Click that text, and you'll see the choices.

Karen
10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
New Private Message Feature:
Another new thing that Slick mentioned is that you can export all you Private Messages to a file - and you can choose whether you want it as a plain text file, an XML file or CSV. That's way down at the bottom of the screen that you view your PMs in. And then, if like me you're constantly filling up your PM box, you can go back and delete anything knowing you do still have it!

You can do that with ALL your Private Messages, or just with ones you have selected.

slick
10-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I also noticed that you can either view the website in Pet Talk vBulletin 3 Style or vBulletin 2 Default. The latter looks more like it used it.

Folks, you can see this on the blue bar at the very very bottom left-hand side. There is a drop down arrow to choose.

Edit: I chose the vBulletin 2 Default but it only kept that look for a couple of minutes then went back to the 3 Style by itself. May we have a choice?

popcornbird
10-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Wow! So different. I logged on this morning, thinking I was on the wrong site. :o I guess this will take some getting used to. One thing I wanted to ask...Can't we edit/delete our posts anymore? I only see a quote button...and well...sometimes you need to edit! :D

Edit: Nevermind...I see that I can edit MY post. He he he. The hearts in my siggy don't work anymore though. I'm going to goof off and see how to fix this signature stuff.

Karen
10-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I Miss "Today's Active Posts"
That's okay - you can still see them, it is just in a different place in this new software. In the blue bar above the forums, there's a spot marked New Posts

I Miss "Top 25 Posters"
That's okay - you can still see them, it is just in a different place in this new software. When you view the Members List you can click on "Posts" to sort by who has the most posts, or by "User name" to see everyone listed alphabetically.

I Miss being able to see everyone's birthday that's coming up this week under "Calendar"
That's okay - you can still see them,just switch your Calendar View to Weekly View instead of Monthly View

dukedogsmom
10-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I am loving the "new ans improved" PT! When I ger on my computer, I'll really be able to see what's going on. Thanks Paul andKaren!

popcornbird
10-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I miss Message Tracking in the PM system. Is that feature unavailable now? :( Will we still get pop ups when we get a new PM?

RedHedd
10-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I like it! Now I have to go surf around and explore. Dang! I thought I was going to get some work done this morning! :D Thanks for all your hard work!

K9soul
10-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Fantastic job, I think this will be really nice, especially once we all get used to it and get familiar with the new features! :) Now not to seem 'overdemanding' after all you have done, but I was wondering (since we are talking about new changes) if it'd be possible to add at least a couple more emoticons? I'd absolutely love to see a "love" one like one of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/GIFS/wub.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/love1/24.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/love2/16.gif

A crying one like one of these (sometimes a sad face just isn't strong enough):

http://bestsmileys.com/crying/8.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/crying/6.gif

Ginger's Mom
10-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Popcornbird. Message Tracking is still available. Private Messages is the second sub-heading on the left side of the CP page. The second (or is it third?) option down is Message Tracking. And it looks like we will still get pop-ups when we get a new PM (don't know if it works yet). I also love the fact that we can export the PM's so we can clean out the box yet still have our messages. I am a bit computer challenged, but I think I may try doing that some time this evening. Thanks Karen and Paul.
Edit: Just saw Jess's post on the emoticons. If we can get animated ones, can we get one of one laughing to replace the LOL we use (they have it on another board, wish I knew how to demonstrate like Jess did).

Freckles
10-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Did you notice posts are numbered? :) Before we might reference something on the third page of a thread. Problem was we all might different number of posts set for a thread. Now we just reference a post number. Cool

jazzcat
10-01-2005, 11:36 AM
I wasn't sure I was going to like the change but now that I've read this with Karen explaining how things works and everyone's tips I'm liking it.

Karen - you should post a sticky in General with a link to this tutorial for everyone. I think it would help make the transition easier for all. Some people may be like me, not too observant. I didn't even notice this new Town Hall forum until it was mentioned in another post in General.

Flatcoatluver
10-01-2005, 11:41 AM
omg this is so cute!! i love the new smiley and everthing else! Thanks Paul and Karen for all your time!

sandragonfly
10-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Thats alright, I keep it on 24/7 anyway, whether I am here or not! :D

Willie :)
I meant I didn't want anybody to think I'm on then PM me & wait, wait.. if I'm not here. well, I'd get a notification and reply to it as soon as I can anyway. :)

Karen
10-01-2005, 01:24 PM
In the bottom left corner of your screen are the viewing options for Pet Talk. You have a choice, as others have noted, between the old (vBulletin 2) style, and the new (vBulletin 3 style) Pet Talk.

Rather than having people trying to remember which version of the software was which, we have changed the names of the two different styles. The new style is just called Pet Talk, the old style is called Widescreen, because that's essentially the big noticable difference.

Karen
10-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Attachments You can now post attachments again. We have set it so that you can post more than one attachment per post as well. For those wondering why you can now post attachments, when we asked you not to before, the new version of the software stores attachments in a different fashion. It is no longer in a set-sized database.

Views We have set the "views" for each post to update only once an hour. It used to update automatically, but by setting it to only update once an hour, it will keep the system from bogging down.

aly
10-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Everything looks great, Karen and Paul! It will be fun playing with all these new features :D

tatsxxx11
10-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Great job Karen and Paul!!! Looks terrific with lots of neat options...Still "adjusting!" :) Thank you so much for all the work you put into this!

Two questions...with the old software I could use my "view" option on my computer's taskbar to make the font size (for the site) larger or smaller but can't seem to change it now. :confused: Would that be due to the new program?

Also, miss having the option of clicking on the dog, cat and pet of the day write up links at the bottom of the page. Often refer back to them when writing my reply. :D Any chance of getting that back?:)

And did I read somewhere that you added a chat room? Can't find the post now or a link!

Thanks!

Kfamr
10-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Yes, we get pop-ups when we get PM's - I just got a few and it tells you the subject and sender in the pop-up! :)

Uabassoon
10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Wow! Things sure do look different around here! Love the new look, now I'm off to explore :)

Karen
10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Great job Karen and Paul!!! Looks terrific with lots of neat options...Still "adjusting!" :) Thank you so much for all the work you put into this!

Two questions...with the old software I could use my "view" option on my computer's taskbar to make the font size (for the site) larger or smaller but can't seem to change it now. :confused: Would that be due to the new program?

Also, miss having the option of clicking on the dog, cat and pet of the day write up links at the bottom of the page. Often refer back to them when writing my reply. :D Any chance of getting that back?:)

And did I read somewhere that you added a chat room? Can't find the post now or a link!

Thanks!

We'll be adding those links back in, thanks for the reminder.

We didn't add a chat room, but Randi set one up for the time Pet Talk was down, which helped afterwards as I was able to talk to her regarding her log-in troubles!

tatsxxx11
10-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks Boss!:)

Freckles
10-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Notice the red triangle next to the post number? That's going to be a easy & great way to report problem posters without cluttering up the thread.

Hmmm. Wonder why I don't have a red triangle on this post? Maybe because it's my post and it won't show on YOUR post, too.

Flatcoatluver
10-01-2005, 06:52 PM
omg i love that thing right next to the red triangle .that has what number you are on the post!

Freckles
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I found advance search. It seems simpler than before.
What is a child forum?

Freckles
10-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Members List only includes those who have posted at least once!:)
Are total members listed anywhere?

I found it! Bottom of first page, What's Going on?, Pet Talk statistics.

Uabassoon
10-01-2005, 07:13 PM
I really like the way the avatars and profile information are shown on the members page I think it looks really nice. I also like that when a member posts it shows the date that they joined, I think it's a nice little addition.

dukedogsmom
10-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I love the fact that we can center things now. Our sigs no longer have to be on the side.

Uabassoon
10-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I keep finding little things that I like! I just noticed the little green and grey lights next to our names that shows up green if the poster is online.

slick
10-01-2005, 07:45 PM
I keep finding little things that I like! I just noticed the little green and grey lights next to our names that shows up green if the poster is online.
:cool: :cool: Good one Laura. I never noticed that. This is just like getting a new toy...... :D

The light beside my name is red to me but I'm invisible. Is it red to you?

K9soul
10-01-2005, 07:47 PM
If you are set to be invis it shows you as being offline :)

Karen
10-01-2005, 08:10 PM
I found advance search. It seems simpler than before.
What is a child forum?

We don't have any "child" forums. That's like a "sub-forum" and I've never found it very helpful, so we don't use them.

Just you "see" yourself on the who's online even if you're invisible, you see a red dot next to yourself if you are logged in but invisible, a green dot if you are logged in and visible, and a grey dot if you're not logged in.

wolfie
10-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Different! I am so lost. I think I have to try to find my way around first...

centering! (that's cool!)

what's the html button do?

<center>center?</center> <i>italics!</i>

aww, no html code. oh well.

Paul
10-01-2005, 10:34 PM
&#160;&#160;&#160;I believe attachments are now allowed for all members.

&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;Paul

Kfamr
10-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Testing attachments! :)
Looks as if you can attach 3 at the same time. COOL! I like how they show up as icons.

Karen
10-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Glad you figured out that centering works!

In another thread someone was mourning the "Today's Active Topics" being gone. If using "new posts" doesn't work for you, you CAN just view by forums, or if you reallllllly miss "Today's Active Topics" you can always log out - then it doesn;t know when you last visited, so shows you the day's active topics instead. But the Catch-22 is that to repond to any, you have to Log back in. I have Paul looking into getting "Today's Active Topics" back for logged in folks, but I know it was a lot of work to set up in Version 2, don't know how possible it is in 3.

Kirsten - and others - the email notification is working again. It had been being slowed to a crawl because the Search feature reindexing took - quite literally - all day. But it is done now.

Attachments are possible for everyone again!

Cinder & Smoke
10-01-2005, 10:45 PM
... you see a red dot ...

a green dot ...
a grey dot ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

UNLESS you're Color Blind! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif
Then they ALL look "grey"! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

How bout sumpin I can SEE ...

Blue, Yellow, and ???

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

aly
10-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi Karen,

I get an error message when I try to view my buddy list. I'm sure someone has mentioned that to you already, but just thought I'd let you know just in case :)

Karen
10-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Karen,

I get an error message when I try to view my buddy list. I'm sure someone has mentioned that to you already, but just thought I'd let you know just in case :)

No one else has. What error do you get?

And Phred, sorry, but do we know what colors you COULD see the differences between, and what about people who are different flavors of color blind?

aly
10-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Here is the message I got:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the Pet Talk database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

smokey the elder
10-02-2005, 06:51 AM
This looks really KEWL!! :D :cool: Great job!

Freckles
10-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Karen and Paul, I've waited until today to digest the new Pet Talk upgrade and I think it's great. Thanks for all work involved!:)

I'm still missing a couple of things but giving you time to finish what you have in mind.

I had some concern yesterday with the Members List, but today I notice it's in the old familiar format. Now I can search by Join Date. It used to default to newest members first, oldest last, which meant I was the third oldest member! Now it defaults to oldest first, which means I'm down the list!
(Just teasing.);)

Now, about Phred's color problem - maybe use different shapes? I notice the icons have symbols in them - maybe symbols could be added.

Thanks again for a great Pet Talk!

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Now, about Phred's color problem -
maybe use different shapes?
I notice the icons have symbols in them - maybe symbols could be added.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Shapes are GOOD!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif
The "old" Yelllow check mark being on/off was good enough for me!
I'm red/green color blind; but Yellow is always bright and noticable.
Blue is good as long as it's "bright" and not too deep or dark ...
some blues appear almost black.

Red/Green is the most common color deficiency ... but I know color blind folks who
see nothng but Black, White, and shades of Grey! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Freckles
10-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Phred.:)

Say, in your post, now sandwiched between two of mine - on the right hand side next to the post number - do you see a triangle? I'm thinking "bad post" is not offered on our own posts.

Thanks Again.

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Missing "Today's Active Topics" ...

If using "new posts" doesn't work for you...

I have Paul looking into getting "Today's Active Topics" back for logged in folks ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

I'll "pay extra" to have it back!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

The *problem* with the "New Posts" search is it only shows stuff that is "new" since

your PREVIOUS Visit ...

If you visit, leave, then return ... only posts that updated since you left are shown ... http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

More I think about it - the "old" search was not limited to "Today" ...
I think it was more like just "Active Topics" ...
I think it went back almost a week. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

Maybe we can take up a collection for the Pay Paul to FixZit Fund -
I'll be HAPPIE to chip in!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Phred.:)

Say, in your post, now sandwiched between two of mine -
on the right hand side next to the post number -
do you see a triangle?
I'm thinking "bad post" is not offered on our own posts.

Right you are! ;)

You can't mark your OWN post as "bad"! :p

What HAPPENS if you hit that *clicker* on someone's post?????

I don't have the courage to "try it"!

:confused:

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2005, 11:12 AM
:eek:

Awww, NUTZ! :(

Notice the "Last edited by Cinder & Smoke : Today at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo
under my last post??

I went back in to fix a typo within 30 seconds or the original "posting" ...
And got "caught" with the "EDITED" flag! :eek:
:(

I "used to" be able to fix schpelling and grammer errors
(within the first few minutes of a post being posted)
WITHOUT that "edited" flag :o being slapped on the post ...

NUTZ! :(

Looks like ya gotta schpell it write da furst tyme ...
or suffer the :o of the ole "edit tag"!

Randi
10-02-2005, 11:21 AM
I just noticed another new feauture, you can "minimize" a Forum by clicking the 2 arrows on the right side of it.

LOL! Phred, perhaps you can edit without filling in the field, and it may noy show - haven't tried that myself.

gini
10-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Awww, NUTZ! :(

Notice the "Last edited by Cinder & Smoke : Today at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo
under my last post??

I went back in to fix a typo within 30 seconds or the original "posting" ...
And got "caught" with the "EDITED" flag! :eek:
:(

I "used to" be able to fix schpelling and grammer errors
(within the first few minutes of a post being posted)
WITHOUT that "edited" flag :o being slapped on the post ...

NUTZ! :(

Looks like ya gotta schpell it write da furst tyme ...
or suffer the :o of the ole "edit tag"!

Oh Phred, I see what you mean. Bad enough to see that you had to edit your post - but to be able to see the "reason" - makes it look like your grade just went from an "A" down to an A- ...........cause you couldn't spell!

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2005, 11:32 AM
you can "minimize" a Forum by clicking the 2 arrows on the right side of it.

And thoe "2 arrows" would be located WHERE??

On an Index page?

Freckles
10-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Phred, the two arrows are on the Home page - is that what you mean by index?

Randi
10-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes, where all the Forums show. ;)

Phred, one day when you have the time, you should post something using all the colors here - one color for each new word, and you can let us know which you can't see. Better yet, I'll do some for you here! :D

Can you see these colors? Not the greens I suppose.

Paul
10-02-2005, 12:46 PM
&#160;&#160;&#160;Ok, Phred everyone should now have 20 minutes to revise and extend their posts without the notation.

&#160;&#160;&#160;We will look into restoring "Today's Active Topics".

Kfamr
10-02-2005, 01:06 PM
You guys are doing a great job and thank you so much for all of your hard work. :)

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I am unable to change my avatar. I get an error message about it (and it is one I've used before.)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-02-2005, 04:14 PM
I am unable to change my avatar. I get an error message about it (and it is one I've used before.)

Same problem for me! Is that feature not active yet, Karen?

Karen
10-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Right you are! ;)

You can't mark your OWN post as "bad"! :p

What HAPPENS if you hit that *clicker* on someone's post?????

I don't have the courage to "try it"!

"Report Bad Post" sends an automatic email to all the moderators/administrators and gives you a chance to put in a reason why you think it is a "bad" post.

Note, however, that it sends an email - NOT a private message, and if you need something noticed right away, a Private Message is always a faster way to reach me.

Paul is looking into the avatar problem, as noted in another post.

Paul
10-02-2005, 07:05 PM
&#160;&#160;&#160;Avatars should now be working again for everyone.

Freckles
10-02-2005, 08:13 PM
There's something new in the User CP!!
Under Settings & Options - we can add a Profile Picture. I remember this feature in one of the earlier PetTalk versions. Now I have to find a decent picture!:cool:

Uabassoon
10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
I like the new user picture feature. I added mine already :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Wow - I too thought I was in the wrong place at first! So far everything looks really cool, and after reading this thread I've been able to find some things I couldn't at first, but one I still can't find is the "Mark all messages as read." I remember it being at the bottom of each "topic" page and at the bottom of the main Pet Talk page. Is it still here and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks Karen and Paul. Looks like the upgrades are well worth the minor inconvenience of learning the new software. :cool:

Wow! I just noticed when you click on the color option, you can actually see a bar of the color rather than just the name in color.....well....unless you're Phred. ;)

Oh, and I noticed the "invisible" thing too and was wondering why I could still see myself, but this thread is very helpful in explaining that I'm only visible to myself. :cool:

Kfamr
10-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Debbie, towards the bottom on the index page (above the What's going on? section) there's a link to "Mark Forums Read." I believe that's what you're talking about? :)

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Ok, Phred -
everyone should now have 20 minutes to revise and extend
their posts without the notation.

We will look into restoring "Today's Active Topics".

Paul

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

THANKS, Paul!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif
(Maybe he schpellz as badly as I do?)
Not sure how long the "grace period" was before - but 20 minutes is
plenty for me - If I haven't spotted it in 20 minutes -
*I* don't know there's a problem! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif

As for "Active Posts" ...
I'm LOST without it ... way too many really current threads go
un-noticed without that Feature.

I'd even suggest the "Active Topics" be put on the "New Posts" *clicker* box.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't "Active Topics" just a much longer and
more extensive listing of what "New Posts" provides?

but the advantage of "Active Topics" is that ALL threads that have
been posted to within the last few days also appeared farther down on the list.
?? Maybe the "old"Active Topcs" covered a 24 hour period??

Whatever the period was; the "OLD" Active Topics that appeared at the
top/right corner of the Forums Home Page is what I'm hoping returns.

Fixin THAT will get ya another **GOLD STAR**, Paul! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Karen
10-02-2005, 09:29 PM
"Today's Active Topics" can always be seen if you log out. Then the system doesn't know what you have read, so defaults to that. Getting that to show up when you are logged in, however, is much more complicated, and probably requires actual programming skill - something I do not possess.

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2005, 10:44 PM
"Today's Active Topics" can always be seen if you log out.

Loggin out & back in is a BIG *pain*! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Getting that to show up when you are logged in, however,
is much more complicated, and probably requires actual programming skill -
something I do not possess.

No "skill" needed -
THAT's what we've got PAUL for! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Freckles
10-03-2005, 09:12 AM
"Today's Active Topics" can always be seen if you log out. I tried that. Problem was, it was after 9pm PDT. So I only saw four posts.http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

Sassy_luvr
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
The avatars,blinkies, and signatures are blurry.
So is the Pet Talk
Pet of the Day.com
We know every pet is special!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Debbie, towards the bottom on the index page (above the What's going on? section) there's a link to "Mark Forums Read." I believe that's what you're talking about? :)
Ahhh.....thanks Kay. I knew I was probably just not seeing it. :)

Karen
10-03-2005, 10:43 AM
The avatars,blinkies, and signatures are blurry.
So is the Pet Talk
Pet of the Day.com
We know every pet is special!

Nothing changed with that! It is (right now) the same graphic we used with the old system ...

slick
10-03-2005, 01:05 PM
I just noticed....when you edit your post you can also type a reason why.....

Same with deleting a post. :cool:

Kfamr
10-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Just noticed, When you vote on a poll it italicizes whatever you voted for. I know there's so many times where it say i've already voted but I don't remember what I voted for! :p

slick
10-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Also noticed that the list of active users on the Main Index screen is not in alphabetical order.

Not that it really makes a difference because when you click on Currently Active Users, the list is in order..... :o

Also, the list of today's birthdays are not in alpha order either. Again, just a minor thing that I noticed....and probably not worth the effort to change.

EssTer
10-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I dont want to say anything bad - I´m just saying my thoughts...the new look of talk is ok, but I liked old one better...it was much prettier...and now the forum looks very alike to other forums...it doenst looks like pet talk anymore :( well as I said I´m just saying my thoughts - hope no one will be angry at me lol :)

anna_66
10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I have a question...
So we can't upload video attachments anymore?:(

Karen
10-03-2005, 09:17 PM
You should be able to - send Paul a PM with what kind of file youre trying to attach, and he can check the settings and make sure.

anna_66
10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
You should be able to - send Paul a PM with what kind of file youre trying to attach, and he can check the settings and make sure.
Cool! Thanks Karen:D

Freckles
10-04-2005, 09:05 AM
I LOVE the new WYSIWYG features for posts and replies like this!

My question is: Is there a way to set a default for these settings rather than add them for every post? :cool:

cloverfdx
10-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Look what i come back to after a weekend away :d. Love the new changes, it will be fun getting used to all the new toys.

catnapper
10-04-2005, 10:13 AM
question.....

How come the Post Icons aren't under every forum? I love these little post icons!

ramanth
10-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Is there any way to alphabatize the Currently Active Users? :)

jennifert9
10-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Karen, I am at work now and can see the new and improved Pet Talk but I'm scared I won't be able to see Pet Talk anymore on my home computer....It runs Windows 95 and AOL 4.0....I'm scared I won't be able to sign on from home anymore. Do you know if I will still be able to or is this software far too advanced for my ancient computer?...I am way overdue for a new computer anyway and maybe this will just be more motivation to save for one....

Freckles
10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Is there any way to alphabatize the Currently Active Users? :)I'm guessing it's when we came on line, maybe.

Freckles
10-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles
One thing that's been on my wish list for awhile is the ability to search only for threads a person started - not for all posts. Here's hoping.http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif
"Did you figure out how to do this? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif
If you are in a thread, left click on the Person's name. You'll get several options including
"View Public Profile" click on that.
You'll get more options including "Forum info which gives total posts and
"Find all posts by .....
and Find all threads started by......
COOL http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
If you are not in a thread and left click on the Person's name, say where it's listed on the first page as a poster, you'll go directly to the profile."

Now, here's what's new:
If you want to search for a particular post or thread by a known user, go to Search - Advanced search - Search by use Name --
Now you are given two choices, Find Posts or Find Threads - another timesaver.http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/cool.gif

ramanth
10-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm guessing it's when we came on line, maybe.
Yeah, I suspect that too, though my name always stays at the front of the list. I just like browsing it real quick if I'm looking for someone and it was easier when it listed users alphabetically.

Randi
10-04-2005, 12:15 PM
OK, I have to know ....do you get the same blue text color in Widescreen mode and in PT mode?

I really like the widescreen, but the blue text there is just too much for my eyes. :(

Randi
10-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Hmm, I wonder why! :confused:

Uhh, I may not have explained well enough - I mean the titles of the threads. In fact, all the text on the Index page.

Ginger's Mom
10-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Kim, you can organize it any way you want. The headers at the top of the column, User Name, Last Activity (and I forget what else), are clickable, and will arrange the users according to what you pick.

catnapper
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Randi, yes, I also have different text colors -- blue and pink for widescreen, navy for Pet Talk view. I like the colors of the Pet Talk view better, but the widescreen is easier on the eyes. Attached are screen captures showign hte different text colors -- apparently not everyone sees the different colors.

Freckles
10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Wow, nothing like a picture to clear things up!:D I have the same problem and I think I know the answer.
I can remember from my vast two days of HTML class that there is a way to program code so that if you read certain text, it changes color so that you know you've read that before. Could it be that?

Yep, just tested it on a section I never read, and it changed color!!

I thought I might be able to change it back to blue by "mark forums read", but that didn't help.

Karen
10-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Karen, I am at work now and can see the new and improved Pet Talk but I'm scared I won't be able to see Pet Talk anymore on my home computer....It runs Windows 95 and AOL 4.0....I'm scared I won't be able to sign on from home anymore. Do you know if I will still be able to or is this software far too advanced for my ancient computer?...I am way overdue for a new computer anyway and maybe this will just be more motivation to save for one....

As far as I know, it should work with the old AOL - you let me know if it doesn't, okay?

momoffuzzyfaces
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I've been playing with the calendar.
It's neat that now we can have our own personal calendars and put dates that are important to us alone on them!

Good job Paul and Karen! :D

AmberLee
10-04-2005, 03:15 PM
??? I just tried to find the "cat calendar order" post using 'search' and got this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/petoftheday.com/httpdocs/talk/search.php on line 979

I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or if the computer hiccuped at a bad time or what.... Any one seen this before?

Jessika
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM

I don't know if this has already been answered, but when you are invisibie, you will still be visible to yourself, but no one else will see you :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
??? I just tried to find the "cat calendar order" post using 'search' and got this message:
I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or if the computer hiccuped at a bad time or what.... Any one seen this before?

I just saw that too, Amberlee. I just clicked the "back" button and tried again, but did the advanced search instead.

AmberLee
10-04-2005, 03:30 PM
:confused: :confused: I get fatal errors whether using the regular search or the advanced search. Rats.

Kfamr
10-04-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm getting the same thing, AmberLee. Worker earlier today and previous days, though... :confused:

carole
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
HELP please, I tryed to post an attachment today, and it would not upload it, anyone else having this problem, yes it was a correct file as well, all help appreciated, thank you.

Karen
10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
HELP please, I tryed to post an attachment today, and it would not upload it, anyone else having this problem, yes it was a correct file as well, all help appreciated, thank you.

How big is the file? Is it over 2 mb? What was the file's name, and what browser do you use?

Karen
10-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Paul is looking at the Search function problem right now.

Karen
10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Paul reset the web server, this should (we hope) fix the search and maybe the uploading problems. Let us know!

The Entire "visible/invisible" mystery:

When you have yourself set to invisible, you see a red dot by your own name, and and asterisk by your name in the "Who's online" list.

The only other people who can see you as being online are Paul and myself. To everyone else, your "dot" is grey, and you do not appear on the who's online list as anything but one of the "guests."

Needless to say, I see many more people on "who's online" than you all do, including lurkers, which is interesting to see! Certain folks never post, but visit frequently! It is okay, shy ones, I won't give you away!

lizbud
10-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Karen,

Are you offically allowing larger signature spaces now, or is the old
limit still in effect? I noticed recently that some seem to have very large
sig. space used while others is a pretty small. Thanks.

catnapper
10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Good point Lizbud! I think it still needs to be small -- those on dialup have a hard time uploading everything. Besides, I think it is easy to create a pretty siggy, true artistry to create a pretty sig that still speaks well in a small size.

lizbud
10-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I agree catnapper. It doesn't have to be large, just big enough to see
all pictures clearly.Your's is great. It's pretty, colorful and clear. :) I'd still
like to know what Karen & Paul think about sizes now.

Kfamr
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
See, the problem is that although her's is pretty, clear, etc.. it too is above the signature size limit. It's hard to create a signature that follows the size limit and still clear. Takes a lot of fooling around with and I hate the pixelated look it gets.

I think if the rule is to be inforced it should say somewhere in the FAQ or rules when you enter. There's a lot of newcomers that have no clue.

Jessika
10-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah I definitely have no clue, and before even making a signature I even looked to see if there were restrictions, and found NONE. So if there ARE rules here, they need to be a lot more obvious.

EDIT: Oh and to who said something about having smaller images for those on dial-up?? Well there IS an option in your profile to turn off images and/or signatures, or both, so that will help out those on dialup. Instead of an image there will just be a a link to the image instead of the actual image. So I don't think size or loading time should really be that big of an issue since you can turn images off.

Karen
10-04-2005, 07:19 PM
We would still like people to keep their signature images to 25k or below. I have posted this many times, and I often send PMs to people asking them to comply. After all, we need to be considerate of others, and I know people enjoy seeing the various signature images and it helps them identify who is posting, but having big signature images keeps some people from even being able to open a thread.

lizbud
10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
See, the problem is that although her's is pretty, clear, etc.. it too is above the signature size limit. It's hard to create a signature that follows the size limit and still clear. Takes a lot of fooling around with and I hate the pixelated look it gets.

I think if the rule is to be inforced it should say somewhere in the FAQ or rules when you enter. There's a lot of newcomers that have no clue.

Kay, I know, that's why I'd like to know if there's been a change made.
I do realize how hard it is to make pictures clear with all the space squished
up. I hope the rule has been relaxed a bit. :)

lizbud
10-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Oops, just saw Karen's post. I agree. Some take up so much space it makes
it harder to see what they are saying.

Jessika
10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
We would still like people to keep their signature images to 25k or below. I have posted this many times, and I often send PMs to people asking them to comply. After all, we need to be considerate of others, and I know people enjoy seeing the various signature images and it helps them identify who is posting, but having big signature images keeps some people from even being able to open a thread.

Are we talking file size restrictions or image dimension restrictions?

And is there like, a thread with official forum rules, because I have honestly searched and have found nothing. Please point me in the right direction. And if there isn't a thread with forum rules or something, there needs to be one in my opinion so you don't have confused newbies like myself.

Karen
10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Jessika - attached is your current signature image, just saved with a bit more compression so it is less than half the size of what you currently have up. It is now about 24k - a perfectly good size.

I have an extremely fast connection to the web - Verizon's new FiOS - fiberoptic. Yet a large signature image or images make the thread kind of jump around a bit as each one loads and therefore that post takes up more height. Your current signature images just did that, just now.

Please either use this one I have attached or resave yours so it is 25k or below.

We also remind people often that it is the TOTAL of their images - so if you have three animated banners that are 10k apiece, you're over the limit.

Karen
10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Are we talking file size restrictions or image dimension restrictions?

And is there like, a thread with official forum rules, because I have honestly searched and have found nothing. Please point me in the right direction. And if there isn't a thread with forum rules or something, there needs to be one in my opinion so you don't have confused newbies like myself.

There is not current a single thread or place that says that. It is among the many things we still need to do as part of the upgrade.

Whenever you or any newbie has a question, you can always ask, or even PM me!

Jessika
10-04-2005, 07:36 PM
I WILL compress the image just slightly and re-save, thanks. I NEVER knew there was a 25KB signature restriction :o

But thanks :) I opt for a thread with the basic forum rules to be made soon though because this community is already humongous, and will only continue to get bigger :)

catnapper
10-04-2005, 09:03 PM
See, the problem is that although her's is pretty, clear, etc.. it too is above the signature size limit.

Ooopsie... I swear when I saved it on my computer, it was 24 and now its 26. Thats not the first time that happened... HOW does the file grow larger? :confused: I'll resave it tomorrow.

Jessika
10-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Ooopsie... I swear when I saved it on my computer, it was 24 and now its 26. Thats not the first time that happened... HOW does the file grow larger? :confused: I'll resave it tomorrow.

When you look at the file size, "size" and "size on disk" are two separate numbers for some odd reason. "sizew on disk" almost always appears to be larger than just "size".

Next time you upload an image for your signature, open it in the browser window, right-click and choose 'properties' and it should give you the accurate file size of your image online.

catnapper
10-05-2005, 07:55 AM
I have another really silly question, but I've noticed that when people put in a lot of information on their "location" line, the line keeps going until the end of what they wrote, making us have to scroll over to read their entire post. Can we fix it so that the words go to a second line beneath the first line?

Freckles
10-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Or maybe truncated - if that's the right word? Hover over Location with the mouse and you can read the rest?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-05-2005, 09:25 AM
I was wondering if there was any way to save an entire thread to my hard drive - Tubby's good bye thread as an example. At the time I saved each page by doing a File/Save As, but I was wondering if now with the new software there was a way of downloading the entire thread - similar to how PMs can now be downloaded.

Thanks for doing such a great job Karen & Paul! :)

ramanth
10-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Kim, you can organize it any way you want. The headers at the top of the column, User Name, Last Activity (and I forget what else), are clickable, and will arrange the users according to what you pick.
Yes, if I click on "Currently Active Users", they are listed in alphabetical order. But on the Main Index, they are not and it's easier to quickly glance at that list, rather than go to another page. I know it can be alpabatized, because the mods at another forum exactly like this one did this when the users requested it. :)

I just miss the alpahatization. :o :rolleyes: :D

Karen
10-05-2005, 12:44 PM
I have another really silly question, but I've noticed that when people put in a lot of information on their "location" line, the line keeps going until the end of what they wrote, making us have to scroll over to read their entire post. Can we fix it so that the words go to a second line beneath the first line?

Paul is looking into that, and I mentioned the alphabetization of the Who's online listing on the forums front page as well.

AmberLee
10-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Nifty suggestions, thanks!

Just popped in to say that I successfully used 'Search' today. Thanks, Paul!

tatsxxx11
10-05-2005, 04:51 PM
A couple more pesky, annoying questions...:o

Didn't we used to have a reply "button" at the top corner or each mesage box, next to the "quote" button, or were there just two buttons, at the top and bottom of the page? Can't remember for sure and my hand keeps pulling the mouse over to the side of a message to reply:D

Did we get rid of the "newcomer," "resident" "pillar" status notations under our names? I just see "registered user" as the only default designation.

Used to be I could be in the middle of writing a reply to say, the dog of the day on Pet Talk, click on the the dog of the day page to check something and come back and what I had written would still be there. Now when I come back the page is blank. Is this due to the new software?

Thank you!!!

Jessika
10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
tatsxxx11, there was an edit button next to the quote button, and that's still there... is that what you're thinking of??

Or maybe you're thinking of the report button?

I keep accidentally clicking the 'report' button instead of 'quote' because the 'report' button is in place where the 'quote' button is on XMB forums and XMB forums are the ones I'm more used to posting on..

tatsxxx11
10-05-2005, 05:14 PM
No, it was a "reply" button...what you hit to respond/post a reply to a thread. I could have sworn there used to be one in each message box, where the "edit" and "quote" buttons are now! Then again, I could be imagining it!:confused: :D Thanks Jessika!

Jessika
10-05-2005, 05:21 PM
OH no I know what you're talking about. It was "New Topic" and "Post Reply". I am actually very glad the "New Topic" button is gone because you don't know HOW many times I hit that by mistake... had a post all typed out and everything... go to click submit and it says "you must specify a title to create a new topic!" and I'm like "DAMMIT! I didn't want to create a new topic! I WANTED TO REPLY!" and you click the back button and loose the whole post...

So, to answer your question, it was the 'new topic' button :)

But wait, that's at the bottom of each page, not at the bottom of each post. I have no clue what you're talking a bout, then.

tatsxxx11
10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Oh no problem, it's me!:D You'd think after being here 5 years, I'd remember how I posted those nearly 18,000 messages! Must have been on autopilot!:rolleyes: :D

Karen
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
A couple more pesky, annoying questions...:o

Didn't we used to have a reply "button" at the top corner or each mesage box, next to the "quote" button, or were there just two buttons, at the top and bottom of the page? Can't remember for sure and my hand keeps pulling the mouse over to the side of a message to reply:D
!

There was only ever a "reply" button at the top and bottom of the page, but it was in the bar at the top in the old system, not on top of it, and at the left, now the right. (Went to a different site I know that uses the old, unupgraded software.)

Did we get rid of the "newcomer," "resident" "pillar" status notations under our names? I just see "registered user" as the only default designation.

Not intentionally! I'll look into fixing that.

Used to be I could be in the middle of writing a reply to say, the dog of the day on Pet Talk, click on the the dog of the day page to check something and come back and what I had written would still be there. Now when I come back the page is blank. Is this due to the new software?

Thank you!!!

Gosh, probably - I got used to opening a new window to look at the extra page, so hadn't noticed that.

tatsxxx11
10-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks a lot Karen. I promise...no more questions! And honestly, everything is just terrific and thank you and Paul so much for redecorating! I can only imagine the work that went into implementing the change, not to mention fielding all the inquiries! Much appreciated!:)

RICHARD
10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL,

I am having a blast all-of-a-sudden seeing new buttons to click on!

The "warning" road sign at the top of each post gave me that "rule breaker" thrill......DO I CLICK ON IT???

I know nothing will blow up....

In a few more posts we will all forget the aprehension!! :) :D ;)

slick
10-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I have not had much time on Pet Talk at all because of work problems but I was just noticing one feature that I really like. When you hover the cursor over a thread, it gives you text preview of what the thread is all about. If it doesn't interest me, I move on and don't have to open it.

However doing this will cut down on the number of "views" that thread will have because you used to have to open it up to see the content which would add a count to the "views".

Jessika
10-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Personally, I never look at how many views a thread has, and view count never mattered to me! What matters are the replies. So if threads are going to have a lower view-count well I don't see how that matters.

Karen
10-05-2005, 09:06 PM
The view counts are currently only updated once an hour anyway. But I have always maintained that "views" matters more than posts, especially in threads like picture threads, or prayer request threads. People can view and enjoy a thread without having either anything new to say, the time or inclination to post. I read every prayer request thread, but don't often post if it's already got plenty of "prayers on the way" type responses, because I have sent my prayers by then, and don't feel posting so adds much. Likewise, if 10 people have already said "great pictures!" my saying it again isn't going to add much.

And Richard, that little traffic sign is the mechanism by which you - or someone else - can report an offensive post to the moderators - a.k.a. Paul and myself. Go ahead, you can click it, it won't hurt.

slick
10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Karen, to be quite honest, when it comes to the threads I start (and they are far and few between) I don't pay any attention to the replies or the views. They just don't matter to me. I was merely pointing that out for the benefit of those who count on the views for their threads.

...and now I just noticed the different sizes of fonts. It goes to size 7 now and we seem to have many more colours than before.

Before when I edited a post and wanted to add a smillie, it would end up at the end of the post and I would have to move it. Now, I just place the cursor where I want it to appear, click on it and VOILA! :D

KUDOS TO YOU AND PAUL FOR A GREAT JOB DONE! I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS! :)

I just love that "reason for editing" prompt. I could have alot of fun with that!! :D

Karen
10-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Who's Online on the homepage is now in alphabetical order - with one exception. It lists you - the logged-in user - first, then puts everyone else in alphabetical order.

ramanth
10-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Who's Online on the homepage is now in alphabetical order - with one exception. It lists you - the logged-in user - first, then puts everyone else in alphabetical order.
WOOHOO! Works for me! :D

Thanks Karen and Paul! :D :cool:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm enjoying the new upgrade too! I love checking out all the new features. One I found as an example is at the top of each thread. I think it's called Forum tools? Anyway, if you click on that it gives you several different options - "mark this thread as read" is my favorite. I use that quite often and at first I only saw it on the main index page. Now I've found it on each...sub-index page I guess you'd call it.

One more question though...the smilies...are they in the same order they were before? Just curious because it seems I'm like tatsxxx11 and my hands just maneuver the mouse on autopilot and I'm always clicking on the wrong one. :rolleyes: I seem to remember the regular smilie was first and wasn't the <eek> smilie bottom left? I thought maybe I'm just screwing up because they are on the right side now.

No big deal, and I'm not asking to have it changed because it is such a picky little thing, just curious.

I also noticed that it inserts the smilie wherever the cursor is as compared to at the bottom of the post and I love that feature!!!

lvpets2002
10-06-2005, 11:00 AM
:) Hey I like the New Software.. It took a little getting used to it & still more to learn; but I like it all the same..

Freckles
10-11-2005, 01:40 PM
I wanted to find one of my early posts back in 2000 so I went to my profile where it says:
Find all posts by Freckles
Find all threads started by Freckles

What I discovered was it would only list the most recent 500. This was the setting for both posts and threads. (In my case I have started only 100 threads so they were all there).

Ultimately will all our posts be listed? Maybe this is just part of the getting started process? :)

(Remember, I love search)

Thanks, Karen, that's perfect.:)

Karen
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
I just changed the "results" number to a higher number.

koxka
10-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Wich is the maximum size for a signature?

And it would be possible to add a spell checking? :o

Jessika
10-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Wich is the maximum size for a signature?

And it would be possible to add a spell checking? :o

All images can be no larger than 25KB in file size. So if you have more than one image in your signature, the combined file sizes should be no larger than 25KB.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Karen
10-12-2005, 05:40 PM
All images can be no larger than 25KB in file size. So if you have more than one image in your signature, the combined file sizes should be no larger than 25KB.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

You are correct - the image TOTAL number of K in one's signature should be 25k or less. So you can have one big 25k image, or a number of smaller ones that add up to 25k!

I will look to see if spell check is available.

koxka
10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Thank you! :)

Karen, the spell check would be wonderful :o

Now I have to figure out how to put 16 cats under a 25K signature. :confused: :D

Karen
10-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Thank you! :)

Karen, the spell check would be wonderful :o

Now I have to figure out how to put 16 cats under a 25K signature. :confused: :D

Very carefully - see Jen Luchenbach's signature image! It can be done!

Cinder & Smoke
10-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I will look to see if spell check is available.

You can check ou this WindowsBBS site:
http://www.windowsbbs.com

They have been using vBulletin v3.0.6 software for a while,
and SpellCheck is a feature available on each posting window.

koxka
10-13-2005, 02:37 AM
Very carefully - see Jen Luchenbach's signature image! It can be done!

Yes, I have been looking,it's a masterpiece,LOL. :D
Just wanted to kitties be more "visible" :D

Jessika
10-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Well why not have one static signature image and just update the picture every few days or so with a pic of another kitty?? Kind of like a rotation. That way all your kitties will be in your signature :)

Kind of like my signature, its my "pet cam" and i update the image every few days or once a week or whenever I take a picture I really like :)

http://dont-stay.com/petcam

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-13-2005, 10:11 AM
I noticed the smilies have been relocated!!! Thanks so much Karen and Paul! :D

Have to admit, spell check would be a wonderful thing.... :o

RedHedd
10-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Ooh! Another vote for spell check please! Some of the posts I'm seeing lately are unintelligible due to spelling errors.

Karen
10-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm still looking into spell check. That said, of course, spell check only works when people use it.

gini
10-13-2005, 09:05 PM
i dont tink i ned spell chick - and Phred dont eether. :D :D

koxka
10-14-2005, 02:19 AM
....eether. :D :D

Aer ouy sura ? :eek: :p

Ovbously juts kididing I knob si a tipoo ;) :D

Karen
10-15-2005, 04:49 PM
After a thorough search, we have found there is no built-in spell check for VBulletin. There are some "hacks" that can be done to "add" one, but we do not want to risk damaging or disabling Pet Talk that way.

For now, people can do spell check the old-fashioned way. Keep your favorite word processing program open, type your post, copy into the word procesor, spell-check it, then post it! Takes a little longer, but well worth it.

lizbud
10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
I have a question. Not about "new stuff", but an older feature. How many
posts does there have to be before a thread gets the "view first unread"
feature? I like that feature. It's very helpful in the longer threads. Just curious.

koxka
10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Thank you anyway.
Maybe another time. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-18-2005, 02:18 PM
We seem to be having a problem with viewing videos. I don't know if it's something we're doing or if it's something with the new software. See this thread for more details http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=90963

But Jazzcat posted a video in this thread that she know she posted before, and it worked before and is not working now. Is there some codec the software is adding that we would all need to download since it seems some of us can view and some can't?

Just curious because the videos always worked so well in the previous software and I'm not using anything different now to make the videos than I did before..... :confused:

Kfamr
10-18-2005, 05:48 PM
I've been having to click "save target as" and save the videos to my computer, then view them, and delete them. If I just try to open them like we used to be able to do, they come up with an error.

Cinder & Smoke
10-18-2005, 07:05 PM
For now, people can do spell check the old-fashioned way.

OR ...
Try GOOGLE's Spell Check feature in the Google ToolBar! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Here's some info on it >>>

http://www.google.com/support/toolbar

It DOES work when you're typing inside a Pet Talk Posting Window!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

Cinder & Smoke
10-18-2005, 07:14 PM
We seem to be having a problem with viewing videos.
...Is there some codec the software is adding that we would all
need to download since it seems some of us can view and some can't?

Here's the "Error Message" I'm getting when trying to play a video:

C00D1199: Cannot play the file

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

The file type is not supported by the Player. For a list of file types (formats) that are supported by Windows Media Player, see Supported file types (http://mk:@msitstore:C:/WINDOWS/Help/wmperr10.chm::/htm/supportedfiletypes.htm).
The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.
The file type is supported, but you are trying to play it in a way that is not supported by the Player. For example, you might have tried to drag a DVD file with a .vob extension from a DVD to the Windows Media Player icon. Or you might have tried to open a .vob file by clicking Open on the File menu.
You are trying to play one part of a multipart file. Use a newsreader or other program to combine the files, and then try again.
Error ID = 0xC00D1199, Condition ID = 0x00000000

/s/ Phred

Uabassoon
10-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Jen brought it up in another thread and I noticed it as well. When someone types in something very long into the location box in their profile it really messes up the margins when they post. Is it possible to limit that to a set amount of characters?

lizbud
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
feature? I like that feature. It's very helpful in the longer threads. Just curious.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

p.s. There's a prize for the winner. :p :D :D

Ginger's Mom
10-19-2005, 08:01 PM
:confused: It's always there, isn't it? It is at the top of every thread. It's not on the forum view, unless it is a new post since you were last logged on (no matter how many responses there were, one or twenty). But when you go into the thread, that view first unread option is at the top of every thread, even if there are no responses. I just looked at a thread with no responses and it was there. Did that make sense?

Karen
10-19-2005, 09:12 PM
:confused: It's always there, isn't it? It is at the top of every thread. It's not on the forum view, unless it is a new post since you were last logged on (no matter how many responses there were, one or twenty). But when you go into the thread, that view first unread option is at the top of every thread, even if there are no responses. I just looked at a thread with no responses and it was there. Did that make sense?

Exactly right. Open any thread, and it's there on the top left of the page. Or, on the forums homepage, clicking on the little arrow will take you to the last post, which is often just as good, depending how often you've been checking a thread, it's not that far up to the last one you've read1

Kfamr
10-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Cool! I just noticed another thing in the poll- It tells you when it closes if you have a date set! :)

"This poll will close on 10-26-2005 at 06:05 PM" - from the Halloween/Fall contest in DG. :D

lizbud
10-21-2005, 06:31 PM
I still don't think I'm explaining this properly. Look at this thread,

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=91158

Below the reply button there is a solid blue line on the left with option
boxes on the right, but there is no view first unread option.

Look at the first post in this thread.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=91186

and there is a view first unread option. :confused:

in the same place there is
a view first unread option.

Cinder & Smoke
10-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Look at this thread >>>
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=91158
Below the reply button there is a solid blue line on the left with option
boxes on the right, but there is no view first unread option.

Look at the first post in this thread >>>
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=91186
and there is a view first unread option. :confused:

Dunno, but I've looked at BOTH of your example threads,
and :eek: they BOTH have the "View First Unread" clicker
at the left end of the options bar.

lizbud
10-21-2005, 07:47 PM

Dunno, but I've looked at BOTH of your example threads,
and :eek: they BOTH have the "View First Unread" clicker
at the left end of the options bar.

Phred,

This is seriously weird. :confused: It does not display that way on my pc.
Only shows up on the longer thread.(one with more posts) :confused:

Cinder & Smoke
10-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Phred,

This is seriously weird. :confused: It does not display that way on my pc.
Only shows up on the longer thread.(one with more posts) :confused:

OK - I give up!

Just went back and *looked* at em again ...

And NOW what you're calling the "short" thread does NOT have
that "View First Unread" clicker. :confused:

Might have something to do with if you HAVE or Have NOT ever read the
thread before. :confused:

But it really WAS there when I checked before ...
I had both threads open in different Windows - and jumped back 'n forth
several times before I posted.

Color me :confused: !

lizbud
10-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Thank you Freckles & Cinder & Smoke. :D What a relief. You do see
what I was talking about. It seems to appear automaticly after a certain
number of posts. (I think) That was my question. How many posts does
it have to have before it shows up?

Randi
10-22-2005, 10:24 AM
It's getting even more confusing now - I clicked on both links, the first one didn't have the "First unread" at the top left, neither when I went back the second time, but the seond link did have "First unread" up there both times I went there. I'm not sure I've opened any of these threads before.

wolf_Q
10-24-2005, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Karen]Attachments You can now post attachments again. We have set it so that you can post more than one attachment per post as well. For those wondering why you can now post attachments, when we asked you not to before, the new version of the software stores attachments in a different fashion. It is no longer in a set-sized database.
QUOTE]

What is the size limit per attachment and size limit for all the total attachments per post?

Karen
10-24-2005, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Karen]Attachments You can now post attachments again. We have set it so that you can post more than one attachment per post as well. For those wondering why you can now post attachments, when we asked you not to before, the new version of the software stores attachments in a different fashion. It is no longer in a set-sized database.
QUOTE]

What is the size limit per attachment and size limit for all the total attachments per post?

I sent you a PM, but for the public record, the size limit per attachment is just over 2 mb. You can post up to 5 attachments in a single post, so by default, a single posts attachments won't add up to much more than 10 mb.