PDA

View Full Version : Walking Harness

Edwina's Secretary
03-18-2002, 11:05 AM
I have mentioned before the harness I have for Edwina from which it is very difficult to escape. A friend of mine asked where I purchased it so I though I'd pass it along here as well. It is called a "walking Harness" and is available on this website.

www.hdw-inc.com/frameset.htm

wayne0214
03-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Edwina, that is quite a cat site! Did you check out their links? Also, they promote big cat welfare issues. Thanks for the info.

........wayne

Heather Wallace
03-18-2002, 03:32 PM
I really liked the open top litter tray for sale, you can just see the cats tail sticking out of the top. Cute.

AmberLee
03-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Wow! Great timing. Cassy has outgrown his harness and the local stores don't carry larger harnesses for cats. The dog harnesses just look too heavy for him, so I was giving up on our going for 'walkies' anymore...

wolflady
03-18-2002, 07:45 PM
:D So, how do you go about training a cat to walk on a harness?? I wonder if I could get Marius into one? I tried a leash one time, but he just glued himself to the ground...:rolleyes: :D

Karen
03-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Persistence, and repetition. It helps if you start with them as a kitten, and some cats never make it past the "boulder on a string" method of "walking the cat," which owner and cat BOTH hate, but some do adjust, and some even enjoy it!

Edwina's Secretary
03-19-2002, 08:55 AM
The website has instruction on training a cat to a leash. Edwina does it when she wants to (what's new :rolleyes: )

Logan
03-19-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Persistence, and repetition. It helps if you start with them as a kitten, and some cats never make it past the "boulder on a string" method of "walking the cat," which owner and cat BOTH hate, but some do adjust, and some even enjoy it!

I love it, Karen!! "Boulder on a string"!! That's exactly what Shrimp Boat was the time I tried to "walk" her!!! :D :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-19-2002, 10:52 AM
When Tubby was a lot younger, and I lived in a neighborhood with sidewalks, I took him for a walk a few times. It's definitely *not* like taking a dog for a walk. Like Edwina says, they do it when they want to, so this is how it went. Tubby would run ahead of me a couple of feet, then stop and sniff around a bit. I would catch up just about the time he found something really interesting to smell. He would be so intent on that that no matter how I tugged on the string, or how many times I said "Come on Tubby, let's go, look what's over here." with excitement in my voice (which would usually peak his interest), he would not come. Then a car would go by and he'd hunker down and give it the evil eye. As soon as the car would pass he'd come to me and we'd start over with the running a few feet in front of me routine. :rolleyes: If you are out to get exercise for yourself, walking the cat is NOT the way to do it. ;) However, if you're just out enjoying a beautiful day, why not give it a try. You might find out the cat really enjoys getting out of their own yard now and then.

PS - this would *never* work for Peanut. She absolutely does not respond to the rope, and would be so paniced the whole time that it would take me a week to get around a small tiny block, so it all depends on your cat's personality.

Ali's mom
03-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Has anyone read any good books about training a cat to walk on a leash???