PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to hold my rabbit?

First time bunny owner
09-30-2005, 02:13 PM
I just got my new rabbit yesterday (its name is Peter) and I really want to be able to hold it but everytime I try it runs away or bites and scratches and I feel like Im hurting it I know it might be to early but how do I know when its the right time.

Karen
09-30-2005, 03:12 PM
How old is the bunny?

It is natural for rabbits to not want to be held. Think about it - in the wild, if something is holding the bunny, it's about to become dinner! So you need to win over your bunny against his natural instincts. That said, some bunnies just never like to be held. But they often like to sit next to you to be petted.

We have had Miss Hoppy since she was 8 weeks old. I have held her pretty much once a day since that time, and so she got used to it. As soon as I pick her up, I let her feet rest on either my arm or my chest. That way she feels safer, like she's got some control. She likes to be nestled up near my chin, and is perfectly relaxed and comfortable with me holding her.

If Paul holds her or picks her up, however, she is a whole different bunny. She usually just goes limp, or has even "played dead." He didn't pick her up a lot when she was little, so it remained an uncomfortable experince for both! He can pick her up and hand her to me, and she settles right down.

Just pet your bunny a lot when he's on the floor, let him get accustomed to you being a friend. Don't pick him up for a few days, you're still getting acquainted. Then once he knows you are trustworthy, you can try picking him up, but do cradle his feet so they are touching something, it seems to help. Do it, hold him firmly but gently, and pet him for a while before you put him down, talking in calm tones. If you do this every day, he'll get accustomed to it, and may even come to enjoy it.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Would repeat everything Karen says. Your rabbit needs to get used to you and his surroundings so chat away to him when you take him his breakfast......

You may want to think about having Peter neutered - my Duncan became a different bunny virtually overnight. He went from aggressive biter to big cuddly softy

First time bunny owner
10-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the help I think that he will start to get better over time because he seems to like to jump around the house alot. He does like me to pet so I guess all he has to do is get to know me better like you said.

one-of-many
10-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi! Here's a few reference sites that have been absolutely indespensible to me as a new bunny owner. We've had our bun for over a year and a half. I joined a bunch of Yahoo groups at first but only one has proven to be VERY worth it. It has tons of members and ..well, if you subscribe, do so in 'Digest' mode because if you get individual emails, you'll be swamped. It's very active. Vets, breeders, house bun owners, etc. You'll love it. Their references section is extremely thorough.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/etherbun/

Also..
http://www.rabbit.org

But I suggest joining the group. They have a thorough links list to help you out and they're very helpful.
BTW, my bunny, Chopper, doesn't much care to let me hold her. But she's a five year old rescue who has had a long, possibly abusive life. With a younger bunny, you probably have a better chance of winning over his/her trust. All rabbits are different in behaviour but ALL seem to take a good amount of patience. :-) It's worth it.
Jae

vashira
10-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Please do hold him firmly, as quite often bunnies will jump out of your arms, unexpectedly. They often end up with broken backs after doing that. (ask any exotics veterinarian). Patience, kindness and prudence. I've been a rabbit owner for 28 years, I can't imagine ever not having a buns. I adore them. They make wonderful pets and they are all so difference character wise. I have one rabbit that i've had for 6 years. He still doesn't like to be held, or even pet really. My other rabbit who i've had for 3 years lives to be in my arms cuddling. He'll choose that over treats any day. Good luck with your new baby.

BTW chocolate is suppose to be poisonous to rabbits and I see so many people feeding it to them. For his sake, please resist the urge to give him that. Try dried cranberries (such as Oceanspray Craisins) in natural flavour. Mine go absolutely crazy for them. Raisins also are a nice treat.

dab_20
10-10-2005, 04:47 PM
the same thing everyone said is right. i have 5 rabbits and 7 three week old bunnies. two of them are new and they totally PANIC when you pick them up. i have two pretty deep gashes from them too. give peter a week or two and you can gradually start picking him up for a few minutes at a time. i recommend nuetering him too, as it will make him very friendly and will possibly add a couple years to his life. NEVER pick him up by the extra skin on his neck! predators grab on to rabbits necks in the wild to catch them. lots of rabbits will go into panic mode if you grab their necks, biting and kicking like nuts. possibly breaking its own legs and and back, plus hurting you. congrats on your new baby!! :)

Jessika
10-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Any new small animal needs to be left alone and not be handled for a week or so until they adjust to their new environment. I nkow its hard, but if you handle him now you're more likely to get him - or yourself! - hurt. :)