PDA

View Full Version : Using perfume on a Dog??

Aooo
09-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi everybody
I must ask u this, my girlfriend and I have a small sized mixed breed dog she's 3 years old.
My girlfriend once a weak puts a little perfume (human perfume) on our dog.
I always tell her that it's not good for the dog and it can actually mess with the dogs smelling sense.
Is this the case?
Is it ok to put perfume on dogs?

JenBKR
09-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi and welcome! I don't know a whole lot about this, but I don't think that human perfume is good for them. They do make perfume and cologne for dogs, which is supposed to be safer. I do have doggy cologne drops, and I'll put a drop on one every once in a while, but not much. My vet told me they are safe. :)

IRescue452
09-30-2005, 08:37 AM
I use dog perfume. I have a big spray can of it. I wouldn't use human perfume but as long as it's in a spot where the dog can't lick it I think it wouldn't do any harm.

lv4dogs
09-30-2005, 08:43 AM
I don't think it's too good for them, but as long as you put a small amount in a spot where the dog can not lick and also not around the face and you don't apply it directly to the skin and you don't do it too frequently I don't think it would hurt much.

When I want to "re-fresh" my dogs I just wipe them down with good smelling baby wipes.
If that doesn't do the trick and they still smell it's either time for a bath, ear cleaning, food change or vet visit because something else must me wrong.

gemini9961
09-30-2005, 08:55 AM
I use the puppy cologne. It's for dogs.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
I have a dog perfume that I use too. I don't know anything about it, but I wouldn't use people perfume on my dogs.

Kfamr
09-30-2005, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't suggest using human perfume on dogs, they have cologne specifically for dogs probably for that reason. We have some by Lampert Kay. There's a lot of good sprays for dogs on www.petedge.com :)

xkrissy11x
09-30-2005, 01:17 PM
We have a purfume called "Paris Cologne For Dogs". It works really good, (especially when he lets one go!)