PDA

View Full Version : Nervous Cat & Vomiting - connection???

christa
09-30-2005, 07:05 AM
My poor baby . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/christa_law/063007.jpg

Brodie has ALWAYS been such a nervous kitty. I always blamed it on his broken tail. Must have been traumatic for him. As good as he has it here, he is still always jumping at every little sound and motion.

He's also been vomiting A LOT lately . . . practically every day. So I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's a connection?

Do you think he's vomiting from a nervous stomach? He doesn't seem to eat too fast. He seems perfectly healthy. No alarming signs that he should go to the vet.

So I was wondering if you all thought one of those plug in things would work to settle him down?

What are they called??? Anyone think this might help?

BTW, I've started giving him PEtromalt for hairballs, just in case, but I think he threw that up last night too.

catnapper
09-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Poor Brodie. He might have hairballs. Pouncer threw up daily from hairballs until I started feeding him hairball control food... it really does work! No hairballs in months for him. He was Sir Pukalot, but no more.

But I do think its also possible to vomit from nerves. Poor little guy. I think the plug-ins you are lookign for are Feliway. Its worth a try!

By the way, is it worse since the move? Maybe he's still not completely used to his new environment yet?

catmandu
09-30-2005, 08:19 AM
I WOULD TRY A HAIRBALL FORMULA,AS MY CATS SUFFER,FROM THAT,TOO.
WHEN HEDOSE BRING UP,IS IT JUST FOOD,OR IS IT SOMETHING,THAT IS FURRY,AND SLIMY.
THEN ITS HAIRBALLS!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos639.jpg

Laura's Babies
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I'd do both, the hairball food and the plug in. Brodie is to sweet and to pretty to be throwing up every day. Poor Brodie, hope you get to feeling better soon!

christa
09-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
By the way, is it worse since the move? Maybe he's still not completely used to his new environment yet?

YES . . . but he NEVER threw up before the move . . . when we started packing & moving, he started puking! That night that we moved into the house and left them at the apartment overnight ALONE, he threw up all over the room.

I don't think it's because he's not happy here though. He seems to really love it here . . . he's just so daggone jumpy! Doesn't take much of anything to get him in a tizzy. :rolleyes:

I might try the hairball control formula. The thing is, Josie has to eat Pro Plan because of her intestinal problems . . . BUT I think there is a Pro Plan hairball control formula.

Would it hurt to mix hairball control & regular? Or switch it up, something different morning & night?

Last question, where do you all buy the feliaway plugins?

christa
09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
I WOULD TRY A HAIRBALL FORMULA,AS MY CATS SUFFER,FROM THAT,TOO.
WHEN HEDOSE BRING UP,IS IT JUST FOOD,OR IS IT SOMETHING,THAT IS FURRY,AND SLIMY.
THEN ITS HAIRBALLS!

Gary: It just depends. I try to look at it every time. Yesterday it was mostly food but there was the beginnings of a hairball at the bottom of it. It's almost always just food though.

I've seen Josie have a hairball come up . . . I'm thinking maybe he's just having this bout of vomit because he's trying to get up a big one??? You think?

jazzcat
09-30-2005, 11:47 AM
If you think it is nerves then Feliway plug-in or spray may help calm him.

Ripley has always had that problem but I can mostly pinpoint why. He either has a hairball (Lax'Aire the vet gave me works great for that), he eats too fast or he had some dairy. I learned that even one lick of ice cream or any kind of dairy will come right back up on him. My vet said he's just one of those cats with a very sensitive tummy.

Does Brodie's stomach seem extended or hard? Back this spring I had to take Rumor to the vet bacause she threw up a couple of times, her stomach was getting very hard and extended and she was having problems with "cling- ons" or "dingleberries" if you know what I mean. It was a hairball stuck in her intestines and the Lax'Aire did the trick.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Poor baby :(

Have you thought about Rescue Remedy? I have heard good things about that for nervous / upset cats?

christa
09-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
Poor baby :(

Have you thought about Rescue Remedy? I have heard good things about that for nervous / upset cats?

Rescue Remedy? I'm not sure what that is . . . I'm up for anything right now though.

I'm definitely going to adjust the food, add some hairball control formula and keep giving him petromalt.

His belly seems normal . . . he's super active, actually has me pulling my hair out today, he so wild!