PDA

View Full Version : Naughty me!

Heather Wallace
03-18-2002, 09:47 AM
I done something bad today.

I was in a supermarket when I saw an advert which said
'beautiful baby rabbits for sale just in time for easter'

Well I couldn't bare the thought of people buying someone a rabbit for an easter present and then a few weeks down the line they decide they are fed up with it, so I took the sign down and put it in the bin.

Was I being nasty???????????????

i don't feel guilty, as a person who has just rehomed three baby bunnies, I felt angry about the wording.

Karen
03-18-2002, 10:05 AM
No, in fact I (being the fearless type) would have taken it to the store owner and explained what was wrong with the sign, and I would have volunteered to print out some "before you buy a bunny" info from www.rabbit.org as well, for them to have on hand for potential customers. But that's just me!

Gio
03-18-2002, 10:34 AM
I think you were right. It's the way the ad is worded that's wrong.

Heather Wallace
03-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Thanks Karen and Gio, you have made me feel a whole lot better as I was starting to feel a bit guilty. I know how hard it was to find good homes for my rabbits. But I suppose some people don't care about good homes I suppose they just want rid of them.:)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-18-2002, 11:59 AM
YOU GO GIRL!
I had to smile at your post. I would have done the same thing. In fact, at Christmas I jumped all over our local Walmart store because they were selling Beta fish in little cups with only about 1/2 cup of water. They couldn't even turn around. I was told that the fish were quite happy that way. I told them it was cruel. I noticed next time I was there, the fish were gone. I hope to homes with bigger tanks.

sasvermont
03-18-2002, 12:20 PM
A couple of Christmases ago I was attending a party with friends. One girl was discussing what she had put in her son's Christmas Stocking.....and mentioned that he didn't really open the container of gold fish for a couple of days! Well, I was horrified to say the least! I found out a little later that the girl was talking about the edible cracker "Gold Fish"...not the little things that swim around in water! I pictured fish in a little white plastic bag - with old water - stuffed in the stocking - expiring from lack of food and light...hehehehehehe. :p Everyone thought it was funny when I told them what had run through my mind!:eek:

Daisylover
03-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Heather, you did the right thing!!!! Bunnies as presents, especially without consulting mom and dad and when purchased on a whim are a bad idea!!!
In fact our sanctuary is going to be placing a half page ad in the Sunday paper to this effect.
It's a hard decision you made.....we all want the buns to have a good home but that so seldom happens when the decision is not thought through...let's fact it, we are talking about (hopefully) a ten year commitment!
Good job, good job, good job!

Cincy'sMom
03-18-2002, 05:34 PM
I think you did the right thing. I was in the pet store yesterday and saw all the bunnies in the pen they usually keep ferrests in, and I had to wonder, how many people will think they are so cute for Easter, only to be surprised by the commit a few weeks later? I was brave enough to say anything about it, but I am glad you were. Unfortunatly it happens with too many animals, for too many reasons.

Crikit
03-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Way to go Heather!! If I weren't a big chicken I probably would have done the same thing, but well I'm a chicken.

Bunnicula05
03-18-2002, 07:28 PM
I actually got my rabbits for easter, but seeing I was 13, I was responsible. But now, I don't think getting someone a bunny for easter is a good idea. ESPECIALLY a little child. BY THE WAY my buns just turned a year old! WOO HOO!

Heather Wallace
03-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Again thanks everyone for your support, much appreciated.

AvaJoy
03-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
[I had to smile at your post. I would have done the same thing. In fact, at Christmas I jumped all over our local Walmart store because they were selling Beta fish in little cups with only about 1/2 cup of water. They couldn't even turn around. I was told that the fish were quite happy that way. I told them it was cruel. I noticed next time I was there, the fish were gone. I hope to homes with bigger tanks. [/B]

I rescued a Betta from PetSmart a few weeks ago, and it was touch and go for awhile but now he is thriving! After studying the comprehensive www.bettatalk.com website and still unable to diagnose his ailment, I added Betta Basics by SeaChem to his water (upon recommendation from a fish store) and magically his condition improved! He has a much bigger area compared to that tiny little water closet he was in . . . he is even building a bubble nest which is a sure sign of a healthy, happy Betta!:)

Heather, I know the bunnies are thanking you for disposing of that sign . . . I'm wondering if some people must think that after the novelty wears off, they can simply release the bunnies into the wild and they will survive . . . ahhh! :confused: :( :mad: [/SIZE]

Former User
03-21-2002, 04:44 AM
Heather, I'm glad you did what you did, and it wasn't wrong at all! As you can read, many of us would have done the same, and so would I! That's is so wrong way of letting go of your bunnies :mad: I'm glad you took that ad away! Well done girl! :)

purrley
03-21-2002, 07:13 AM
BRAVO Heather - I don't know why people word their ads like that. Everytime a holiday comes up you get this just in time for Christmas stuff, just in time for Mother's Day, etc. There are people who sell baby chicks and ducks this same way and some even color the little guys with dye to make them green, blue, pink etc:mad: :mad: - Makes me so angry!!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Heather's bunny story reminded me of when I was a little girl back in the 1950's, the department stores used to sell baby chicks and ducks at Easter. To add insult to injury, they were dyed colors like pink, blue, and purple. We bought several chicks and ducks one year but we had a home in a small rural town and had room for them. They sure looked funny when the dye started to wear off. The ducks grew up to take over our wading pool in the summer. The chicks grew up to rule my grandmothers hen house. (she raised chickens) We were able to take care of them but sadly, most people weren't. Thankfully, stores are no longer allowed to sell them.