PDA

View Full Version : BYBs get scammed

Pit Chick
09-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Pet Owners Say Man Stole Puppies Advertised In Paper
District Attorney To Investigate

POSTED: 3:10 pm CDT September 28, 2005
UPDATED: 9:59 pm CDT September 28, 2005

HOUSTON -- Several Houston-area pet owners accused a man of stealing puppies they had listed for sale in the Greensheet, the KPRC Local 2 Troubleshooters reported Wednesday.

Tramaine Baker said Chris Woodmansee took off with his four pit bull puppies in July.

"In my opinion, it's theft," he said. "We were expecting $300 from each dog."

Lonnie Tweed said the same man took his two shih tzu puppies in August.

"These puppies slept with us on the bed. They were becoming part of the family," Tweed said.

Both owners posted their puppies for sale in the Greensheet, and the ads caught the attention of Woodmansee.

"He calls me and says, 'You know, I'd like to buy all your dogs from you. I run a pet shop,'" Baker said. "It says on (the receipt), 'This is a legal, binding agreement.'"

Woodmansee agreed to sell the animals on consignment, keep the profit and give the owners their asking price.

But after Woodmansee picked up the puppies, he stopped picking up his telephone.

"I got his information -- the address of where his pet shop was supposed to be," Baker said.

But the pet shop is no more.

Local 2 learned that Woodmansee moved out the Almeda-Genoa strip center more than a year ago to sell pets on the side of the road.

The Troubleshooters caught up with him in court, where a judge ordered him to appear in an unrelated criminal case.

"We'd like to ask you a couple questions about taking people's animals. You took their animals and never gave them the money," Local 2's Amy Davis asked.

"No, ma'am. That's all worked out through the customers," Woodmansee said.

"OK, this is one of your customers here and you owe him $1,000. You never called him back," Davis said.

"On what?" Woodmansee said.

He claimed he could not remember Baker or details about the other half-dozen families that said he took their pets.

"People say you stole their animals. What did you do with the puppies?" Davis asked.

Woodmansee did not respond.

While he may not answer Local 2's questions, he will have to answer in court. The Troubleshooters learned the Harris County District Attorney's Office is taking the case.

If you believe Woodmansee took your pets, contact prosecutor Valerie Turner with the Harris County District Attorney's Office at (713) 755-5836.

If you have a news tip for the Local 2 Troubleshooters, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).

Copyright 2005 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/5032546/detail.html
------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course through this whole thing the only ones who really suffer are the animals, but I feel these people got what they deserved for using their pet's as commodities. Hopefully this will make them think twice about breeding irresponsibly again.

PJ's Mom
09-29-2005, 09:58 AM
BYBs get scammed

Gee, amazing how I don't feel bad at all. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the person who stole the puppies is actually giving them a good home instead of displaying them in some stupid pet store. :(

dukedogsmom
09-29-2005, 03:43 PM
"These puppies slept with us on the bed. They were becoming part of the family," Tweed said.
Yeah, a part of the family that would easily be gone for $300 a piece. Boo hoo. I don't feel sorry for them at all. Karma's a b***h, ain't it?

Pit Chick
09-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
I wonder if the person who stole the puppies is actually giving them a good home instead of displaying them in some stupid pet store. :(

Unfortunately, not on that side of town.

Twisterdog
09-29-2005, 08:24 PM
But once again ... the animals pay the price. :(

Van10
10-19-2005, 08:36 PM
But once again ... the animals pay the price. :(

Unfortunately :( :mad:

areias
10-20-2005, 05:36 AM
I can sort of understand selling the puppies. But if you claim these dogs were part of the family....why in the world would you sell them to a PET STORE?? God forbid I ever sold puppies, I would be doing background checks and cross references on the potential buyers :p . And they just gave the guy the puppies? They didn't check out where they were going to be or anything? That's ridiculous.

jackie
10-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Yeah, a part of the family that would easily be gone for $300 a piece. Boo hoo. I don't feel sorry for them at all. Karma's a b***h, ain't it?

You took the words out of my mouth. I wonder how much he would sell his kids for. :rolleyes: